question about private excursions

Lindsay564

I'm trying out private excursions for the first time on my upcoming Mediterranean cruise on the Constellation.  For those of you who are seasoned private excursion-ers, do you recommend meeting up with the other members of the excursion (found on the roll call) on the ship and then disembarking together, or meeting off of the ship where you're meeting the guide?

Specifically, I'm coordinating a private tour in Livorno to Florence and Pisa and the guide is meeting us outside the ship at 8 am (we dock at 7).  I was thinking I could arrange for the 8 of us to meet at 7:30 somewhere on the ship?  Or should we all just meet at the guide at 8?

Have everyone meet on the ship.  Make sure you have everyones cabin # just in case someone doesn’t show up at the appointed time & place.

A good spot on the Connie is Cellar Masters.  It is usually  pretty empty in the morning so easier to find each other.

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lindsay564 said:

I'm trying out private excursions for the first time on my upcoming Mediterranean cruise on the Constellation.  For those of you who are seasoned private excursion-ers, do you recommend meeting up with the other members of the excursion (found on the roll call) on the ship and then disembarking together, or meeting off of the ship where you're meeting the guide?

Specifically, I'm coordinating a private tour in Livorno to Florence and Pisa and the guide is meeting us outside the ship at 8 am (we dock at 7).  I was thinking I could arrange for the 8 of us to meet at 7:30 somewhere on the ship?  Or should we all just meet at the guide at 8?

Meeting on the ship is usually a good idea.   I have organized tours were we met on the dock or after exiting the cruise terminal, but then someone is usually a bit late.  Cellar Masters is a great place.  Make sure the guide provides you a place for your group to meet and has someone there with a sigh with your name on it.

We’ve planned on meeting at a designated spot onboard the ship. Much easier to meet at a specific place that everybody is familiar with already rather than trying to meet some place ashore that nobody is completely sure about. Some meetup spots can be tricky, even with detailed instructions. 

I have always planned / partaken in private tours . I really enjoy having a small group and minimal cost. I agre meet on the ship. I take a small ziplock bag with list names and money due , I put my cash in first with small notes for change and then  I pass around once on bus which minimises the embarrassment  of money. Also make sure you have contact number for tour company in case they are late. 

Enjoy florence 

sue 

I also definitely recommend meeting on the ship.  And as the organizer definitely contact the other tour members once actually on the ship to confirm that everyone is "on the same page."  About five years ago we were on a privately organized tour in which the organizer wanted to meet on shore.  The Celebrity Connections party hadn't been held yet, so none of us had ever met face to face before.  So it was quite interesting to connect with the others -- but one couple just wasn't showing.  The organizer had to go back onto the ship, and check with Guest Relations where she learned that that missing couple had never boarded!  They weren't on the ship!  We lost nearly an hour of time.

Two follow-up questions:

Does meeting on the ship at 7:30 am sound like the right amount of time to allow to be meeting our guide "in front of the ship" at 8:00 am?

What advice do you have for a tender port (Villefranche)?  I've only ever done ship excursions on tender ports (Grand Cayman, etc.) so don't have any experience with getting tickets, etc.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Lindsay564 said:

Two follow-up questions:

Does meeting on the ship at 7:30 am sound like the right amount of time to allow to be meeting our guide "in front of the ship" at 8:00 am?

What advice do you have for a tender port (Villefranche)?  I've only ever done ship excursions on tender ports (Grand Cayman, etc.) so don't have any experience with getting tickets, etc.

Thanks!

For a tender port, ships excursions get priority as well as certain cabin classes and levels of Captains Club. Best not to make and early meet

If you have the idea that you must get off early for a tour 2000 others may have the same idea

I also much prefer private tours and have had excellent luck organizing them through the CC roll calls. I agree with the advise to meet onboard. I also collect any money due a day or two prior to the actual excursion. (Saves time, ensures that you collect the proper amount, and makes your day more enjoyable).