Carnaval in Rio on the Pursuit!

BBMacLaird

Our latest blog Inside the Revelry and Rituals of Rio's Carnaval explains how Rio de Janeiro's Carnaval began, as well as explains what to watch for.

I've never been to the celebration, have you??

"Carnaval is celebrated worldwide. Although Carnaval isn’t unique to Rio de Janeiro, Rio’s Carnaval is unique. It’s the largest festival in the world, blending together a variety of cultural traditions, music, and dance in a way that no other celebration does."

Carnaval gettyimages-71042221.jpg

Caipirinhas gettyimages-174871628.jpg

Carnaval gettyimages-992271514.jpg

I’ve been on Rio at Carnival time. We didn’t go to the Sambadrome to see the Carnival parade - we got put off because you need to be there for such a long time. However we did go to Ipanema Beach to join in the street party there. The atmosphere was amazing, we loved it 

121B2E2B-7AA5-4CC3-B93D-1F919D0013FB.jpeg

0DF7A551-6C67-44D2-9DB2-AC05F0CF5714.jpeg

3DE7312A-3C33-4686-8EDB-4E7E6D55C3EE.jpeg

FBA1337E-C20A-4473-965B-3AE4D5045C9E.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

I have never been to RJ. (Have seen smaller ones in Caribbean.)

Was looking at this itinerary and was left scratching my head:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/en-ca/voyage/qs22r001/22-night-canival-rio-voyage

Ship leaves Rio 1:30pm on the Tuesday... isn't the big show Tuesday night?

Hi Shawnino, I had to ask our planners (I’ve never been to Carnaval!) and was told “the event is February 22 through February 25. The most important date of the festival is February 23 – Sunday of Carnaval.”

16 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi Shawnino, I had to ask our planners (I’ve never been to Carnaval!) and was told “the event is February 22 through February 25. The most important date of the festival is February 23 – Sunday of Carnaval.”

I didn't know that. Thanks.

In most of the rest of the Carnaval world, Tuesday is the big night (the Mardi Gras). 

• Like 1

I have been to the formal Sambadrome Carnaval in Rio twice.  The first time was an offer from Cunard to sail from Miami to Rio and back with two nights of tickets and transport to the Sambadrome.  It was such an amazing experience that I went again in 2008.  There are many Samba Schools that compete each year but the dozen or so finalists get to parade in the Sambadrome.  Each school can number over a thousand people.  The schools must compose original music, songs, costumes, floats, etc and all are given points by the judging panel.  The winner gets a special parade.  The Carnaval is timed to the Christian calendar and it begins and it lasts about a week and always ends on Ash Wednesday.  Many people who go to the Sambadrome have not researched the experience and are unprepared.  The Sambadrome parade lasts two nights starting each night at dark - around 9 PM and ends the next morning around 6 AM as it gets light.  It is exhausting but worth it.  Words cannot describe but recent videos capture the excitement as well as the overwhelming visual and audial experience.  Here are recent samples:

Hold on to your hats.