Bringing Liquor into China

zukecruiser

• Passengers may bring duty-free into the country 1,500 ml. of alcoholic drinks (with alcohol content of 12% or above) and 400 individual cigarettes, or 100 individual cigars, or 500 grams of smoking tobacco

https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/guidebook/customs.htm

Also beware of the local "baijiu".  Some of them will make Granny's moonshine smooth as a glass of cool water :classic_tongue::classic_smile:  

Edited by Philob

We always have 2 to 4 of the tiny bottles of liquor in our carry on in our plastic 3-1-1 baggie when traveling. When we were going through security in China for an internal flight, a guy took my little bottles of booze and kept saying "no alcohol". In trying to argue logic to him, I pointed out my hand spritzer of alcohol spray that he did not take and that it was "100% alcohol". He kept on holding my little bottles saying "no alcohol" but showed no interested in the hand spray. Finally, I left him with my booze and went on and boarded. Hope he enjoyed the vodka and scotch. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 11:09 AM, terry&mike said:

We always have 2 to 4 of the tiny bottles of liquor in our carry on in our plastic 3-1-1 baggie when traveling. When we were going through security in China for an internal flight, a guy took my little bottles of booze and kept saying "no alcohol". In trying to argue logic to him, I pointed out my hand spritzer of alcohol spray that he did not take and that it was "100% alcohol". He kept on holding my little bottles saying "no alcohol" but showed no interested in the hand spray. Finally, I left him with my booze and went on and boarded. Hope he enjoyed the vodka and scotch. 

A lot of places have rules against drinking your own alcohol on the flights. In the US, at least, it's against FAA regulations for you to drink alcohol on the plane that has not been served to you by the carrier (whether or not you successfully got away with it is a different story). AFAIK the only exception is JetBlue, and even with them you must still present them the alcohol so they can pour it to you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 4:09 PM, zukecruiser said:

Wonder if there is any problem bring small liquor bottles into Beijing, China for a post cruise land tour after an ocean cruise.

Thanks for any suggestions.

You can always try but don't hide it or argue. If they take it, they take it. It's their rules and they decide how they wish to apply them. I can't forget the shouting I heard when I was on line to enter China after arriving by boat years ago. I don't know what it was about or to whom, and we were people from China, Hong Kong and who knows where else but it got loud. It was a not-so-subtle but helpful reminder (along with the military uniforms) that we were in a different country. I had a great and fascinating time, learned a lot that I didn't know and needed to, but that was probably and important wake-up. 

So with even with little liquor bottles, I'd be very forthwith and if it goes well, then yay. If not, hopefully you'll still have an amazing journey as it's truly an amazing place. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

You probably will not have any issues with small bottles.

You need to also realise that the Chinese do not have the religious and moral challenges with alcohol that you find in your home country. They also do not have the "sin taxes"that you pay on alcohol at home.

If you shop around a bit in China, you will find that most alcohol is far less costly here than at home.

9 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

You need to also realise that the Chinese do not have the religious and moral challenges with alcohol that you find in your home country.

That's super funny to me, considering OP is from Wisconsin, where I LOVE to shop for alcohol! I live in a state with state-run liquor stores - I run amok when I visit my sister in WI 😉

Also, the reason I occasionally travel with my own alcohol is that I'm unable or unwilling to procure what I need locally. Unable -sometimes I'm in meetings from the time I arrive until the time I leave, but I'd like to have a glass of wine in my room before bed at night. So I bring some with me. Unwilling - good wine in China is REALLY expensive. Affordable wine...is not always very good.

On 5/7/2019 at 6:30 AM, Philob said:
  • Also beware of the local "baijiu".  Some of them will make Granny's moonshine smooth as a glass of cool water :classic_tongue::classic_smile:  

Surely you meant "also partake in the local "baijiu".  Some of them will make Granny's moonshine smooth as a glass of cool water :classic_tongue::classic_smile:"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GenghisQuan said:

Surely you meant "also partake in the local "baijiu".  Some of them will make Granny's moonshine smooth as a glass of cool water :classic_tongue::classic_smile:"

In my younger days I had a "gunbei" session followed by beer chasers during a lunch; including one shot with snake bile in it.

Never again 😣 

• Haha 1

The French supermarket near my house in Shanghai carries the full range of spirits you would find at a good bottle shop in California. Their prices are half those in California.

They also carry a vast selection of French and other European wines for about half of what I would have to pay in a California wine shop.

Whenever I check out a bottle shop in any country, I look at a few benchmark labels to give me a feel for local prices. One of those is Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Champagne. It is available nearly everywhere in the world. 

I pay US$22 per bottle (and no tax) in Shanghai. That is lower than that the wholesale price in most US States.

11 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Whenever I check out a bottle shop in any country, I look at a few benchmark labels to give me a feel for local prices. One of those is Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Champagne. It is available nearly everywhere in the world. 

I pay US$22 per bottle (and no tax) in Shanghai. That is lower than that the wholesale price in most US States.

If I had regular access to that deal I would be a very happy girl indeed!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 4:31 PM, BruceMuzz said:

The French supermarket near my house in Shanghai carries the full range of spirits you would find at a good bottle shop in California. Their prices are half those in California.

They also carry a vast selection of French and other European wines for about half of what I would have to pay in a California wine shop.

Wow!!!

Any idea if prices are similar in Beijing?