Seaward Alaska

cruisingnewtoit

There is a regional airport for private planes....

Not what you were thinking about either, I guess...

Seward is a thriving town with a few things to do during the tourist season.

I think a visit to trip advisor and fodors and getting an Alaskan travel guide will help.

Also, going to the Alaska board here will be helpful too, it was when we went a few years ago...

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

We are cruising Alaska next month and disembarking in Seward. We are taking the Major Marine Kenai Fjords Tour in the morning and then taking the Alaska Railroad to Anchorage that evening. 

Check your cruise excursions page page for additional ways to get to Anchorage. I believe there is a bus option.

Edited by scrapcreator
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scrapcreator said:

We are cruising Alaska next month and disembarking in Seward. We are taking the Major Marine Kenai Fjords Tour in the morning and then taking the Alaska Railroad to Anchorage that evening. 

Check your cruise excursions page page for additional ways to get to Anchorage. I believe there is a bus option.

Wholeheartedly agree with doing the Kenai Fjords Tour when you arrive in Seward and then taking the Alaska Railroad to Anchorage.  The Kenai is often my favorite part of the trip.

• Thanks 1

• December 13, 2009
  •  
  • 6,138 posts
  • Fairbanks, AK
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • I wonder if our OP has realized that they posted their question more than once.  My reply to one of their posts is below. #2

We may fly all over this state, but Seward doesn't offer commercial air services.  The small runway is for private aircraft.

If you peruse the Alaska Cruise Critic board you will find that there is actually quite a bit in Seward.  It is one of those small towns where Alaskans go for recreation.  Some ideas to consider are day cruises in the Kenai Fjords National Fjords park; our favorite vendor is Major Marine.  Exit Glacier is also part of the Kenai Fjords National Park, and you can hike right up to it.  The SeaLife Center is also in Seward.

And you will need to make a decision on transportation to Anchorage.  The Alaska Railroad offers passenger service.  There are also private motor coach transfers in addition to renting a car and driving yourself.  While scenery is subjective, the rail trip is generally considered to most spectacular, but the drive is lovely too.

• Thanks 1

Totally agree that a Kenai Fjords Tour from Seward is a must, one of the very best Alaska excursions that includes both wildlife and glacier viewing.

But be sure to book one of the longer excursions that actually takes you outside the bay and up into the fjords. 

At that location they also offer several excursions that only cruise around inside the bay, which are very disappointing by comparison.

Don't just go by the total time listed for the tour as some of the cruises that stay inside the bay show longer times because they include lunch stops. 

Be sure to look at the route map for any tour before you book it  to see where the boat will actually take you.

• Thanks 1