Assisted Listening System on HAL ships?

knippsel

HAL says they offer an "Assisted Listening System" for folks with hearing difficulties to help hearing in the shows, lectures, etc. Has anyone tried  using this? If so, how did it work for you? Does it vary ship to ship? We are considering asking for it on the Maasdam.  Appreciate any info.

Thanks.

Kathy

The showrooms do have very loud music in the production shows.  The Maasdam itinerary being an EXC cruise will have more lectures and no production shows.  I have not heard of the assisted listening system but it sounds like a good idea for those with hearing issues.  

Even our EXC cruise lectures were too loud.

When someone asked to have the volume lowered, others complained that they wanted the high volume.

My DH quit coming to the Showroom.  Formal complaints got no change.

I complained to a sound technician in the balcony.  He pointed out the ceiling speakers and suggested not sitting near them.  You might find that sitting near the balcony speakers could be helpful.

Barbara

Some hearing aids have what is called  "loop technology" that allows users to hear and control volume in designated venues.  Apparently some or all HAL ships have this loop installed.  For it to work the hearing aids also have to have the loop technology installed.  Most hearing aids don't have the technology as it drives up the cost.  Not sure if this helps or answers your question.  If you wear hearing aids you might ask your audiologist if loop technology is installed.  Other wise as other people have stated most show venues are entirely too loud for normal hearing people.  DW & I take earplugs with us.  I met one gentleman on our last cruise who turned off his aids in the music and theatre settings and used them basically as earplugs. 

• Like 1

A few years back there was a discussion on this board about T-Coil being offered on some of the ships. (That prompted me to ask the posters, and as a result my hearing impaired parent now has new  hearing aide with the technology. It’s been most helpful. A huge thanks to CC posters.)

OP: you might want to check with Ships Accessibility.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

Thanks, everyone, for the info.  With us it's not so much a matter of volume, (normally have to use earplugs for shows in the theater), but clarity. So we were hoping for a gizmo that allows an earbud or similar (without a hearing aid).

Guess we'll have to wing it!