Grand Princess

My wife and I are looking at a back to back out of San Francisco in March of 2020. One week is to the north and the other is to the south. Just curious about folks thoughts about the Grand Princess and the itinerary going to Vancouver, Oregon and then to So Cal. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi!  We are looking at the Northern sailing 3/31. On the roll call for this sailing there are several folks from Northern California who do  one or both of these cruises ever year.  You can ask your question over there as well.  But it is a great way to see the a great deal of the west coast.  The Pacific waters can be choppy to say the last. At any time of the year.  

I think the northern itenary is fabulous.  I can easily Drive  to the southern part.  I am just waiting for a promotion and/or to complete our first cruise on Princess to be sure it is a good  fit for us. 

We go out on the Bay and under both bridges  all the time, but neversailed  from a cruise ship under the Golden Gate.  Only smaller vessels.  That alone is awesome.  

Cruzin,  Last year we did the Cal Coastal then the Pacific Northwest Cruises.  It was fantastic, especially on the turn over day in San Francisco, cause it was SF Fleet Week with the US Navy Blue Angels flying and Grand Princess was the perfect place to see the whole Air Show.  These B2B cruises are just the way we like it, eight ports of call in 14 days.  Perfect mix.  We've done the Cal Coastal many times, and it was okay to visit again, but the Pac Northwest was great.  We love Vancouver and Astoria. All new to us and we'll be going back to explore it more.  

• Like 1

Thanks Gimer! Great to hear! We live in SW Florida, so the entire itinerary is new to us. How was the ship by the way? We are closing in on a decision, but a few questions remain. How is the weather in the spring as opposed to early fall? The cruise is available both seasons next year and wondering if one time better than the other, or doesn’t it matter? Thanks again to all of you!

Cruzin, Our October weather for the Cal Coastal were in the mid-60's and the Pacific Northwest cruise, we had upper 50's to the mid 60.  Couple of cloudy days, but no showers or rain.  Grand Princess just came out of her March 2019 dry dock.  Grand is a 21 year old ship, but she is in great shape.  The ship now has the state oil the art Navigation system, call Nacos Platinum, now being used by the newest cruise ships world wide.  Princess Ocean Medallion is in place, but they announced the start up will be on March 29, 2020. That's the second half of the Spring B2B Pacific Northwest Cruise you are talking about. That's also when I start my B2B cruises, first being the Pacific Northwest and then stay on for the 15 Days Hawaiian Island cruise.   This year, we just got off Grand on Easter Day, April 21, 2019.  It was a B2B.  Started on March 30, the Cal Coastal and stayed on April 6 for the 15 Days Hawaiian cruise.  We love doing B2Bs.  Back to the ship.  During dry dock, they replaced major 4 inch fresh water pipes, re-carpeted, replaced the Deck 14 Prego Pizza with "Slices" and the Trident Grill with "Salty Dog Grill".  Both a BIG up grade to the eating experience.  All the swimming pools were stripped to basic foundation and completely re-done.  ADA wheel chair ramps installed.  Some of the Lounges had their chairs and sofas re-upholstered, the remainder will be done on a continued basis.  For the Ocean Medallion, they laid 6 miles of wire, install electronic screens on every stateroom, in public areas, they installed large interactive tv screens and many things that are not seen are the reworked the ships thrusters, propellers, a new kind of drag efficient hull paint,  inspect and adjust the Stabilizer Fins, install new key cards locks for all crew staterooms and much more I did not get wind of.  Stan

Gimer thank you so much for your efforts to get us up to speed! After looking at some weather stats, we think we will do the fall B2B, as the weather seems a little warmer. That cruise however is on the Star Princess. Same itinerary, different ship. Can’t thank you enough for your insights! I think we will love this cruise! Have you an experience with Star Princess? Thanks so much for your time!

Cruzin,  Our last time on Star Princess was back in 2015.  You will love these two cruises.  If you don't take any excursions, all these ports are so easy to get around and some are totally walkable.  Have fun!  Stan