Rubles, Euros or Dollars?

Ep010835

I did a search on this board but couldn't find anything so I'll ask. Please forgive me if this has been covered somewhere recently.  

We are going on a Viking river cruise from SPB to Moscow in a couple of weeks. I like to offer a gratuity to our steward and a few others above the standard gratuity. I realize this cruise is in Russia and rubles might be the appropriate currency in which to tip but then again, the crew may be based in an EU country and prefer Euros. I realize I could take a mix of currency with me but I'd prefer to stick with one. 

We will have rubles with us to spend in SPB and Moscow so this would be the easiest approach but still wonder if Euros might be preferred by the recipient? 

Anyone have any experience with this?

On my Russian cruise, they were all Russian and did bring rubles for that purpose.

Some used a ATM to get their rubles. Just get them early enough as some were scrambling on the last night to find an ATM to get rubles.

You will need rubles for purchases - though larger purchases a credit card will work. Small purchases we used rubles. Rubles is the official currency and stores will only take these. Street vendors in Moscow and St. Petersburg will take Euros, US, etc... but for the ports between the two, you want rubles.

Edited by Coral

Rubles are required for purchases in the smaller villages and for small items (postcards, ice cream, etc.) - credit cards are widely accepted in most shops & restaurants. Euros are widely accepted in the tourist areas in the larger Russian cities (St. Petersburg, Moscow, Novgorod, etc.). BTW - AMEX is NOT widely accepted in Russia (Visa, Mastercard is widely accepted).

I honestly don't know what currency the crew prefer for tips but know that they happily accept euros.