Meraviglia YC Experience - Baltic Itinerary

Captain-John

We had a similar experience disembarking Preziosa last year in Barbados. We were out of the cabin by around 10am but had arranged with the concierge to remain onboard until after lunch, we only used the One Pool buffet not YC restaurant. I think we docked around 9am and I wouldn't have wanted to have been out of the cabin any later as I'd have felt guilty delaying the cleaning.

We couldn't check in to our hotel until 3pm and had no where to go. The YC pool deck was a perfect choice 😀  We then seamlessly transitioned to being by a hotel pool in Barbados 😎

It really did make difference to our day, it was a holiday day rather than a transition day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

It really did make difference to our day, it was a holiday day rather than a transition day.

That's exactly how I feel about it too. Glad so many have had success in negotiating this with the YC staff. It's maybe less 'to chance' than I had thought.

I'll definitely arrange it properly through the appropriate hierarchy though.

I commented on another thread recently that a real drawback of the majority of cruises is the luggage out the night before, up and out of the cabin at the crack of dawn on disembarkation day approach. I understand why they need to do it - but you don't get that on a land holiday.

I always DIY, as I find that cruise packages have their flights far too late (and too expensive) after disembarkation. I know they build in a safety buffer, and some folks would probably have a fit at my timings, but I hate having nowhere to go and nothing to do on the last day.

P.S - CF, you've given me an itch to get back to Barbados.... DW will thank you but my wallet isn't! 😞

• Like 1

It may come down to volume of requests, if there are only a few requests it's more manageable. We were certainly the only ones who were disembarking and 'loitered' in YC. We had quite a lot of fellow passengers who were fly/cruise with MSC and were off for their flights mid morning.

We always DIY. We find it too depressing to return home on disembarkation day and like to have a few days in the City or resort at the end. Sometimes we disembark promptly to explore but on that occasion it was an extra few days of relaxation so we wanted to transfer to the hotel at a time close to check in.

Sorry about that, Mrs Capt can thank me later 😂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

It may come down to volume of requests, if there are only a few requests it's more manageable. We were certainly the only ones who were disembarking and 'loitered' in YC. We had quite a lot of fellow passengers who were fly/cruise with MSC and were off for their flights mid morning.

We always DIY. We find it too depressing to return home on disembarkation day and like to have a few days in the City or resort at the end. Sometimes we disembark promptly to explore but on that occasion it was an extra few days of relaxation so we wanted to transfer to the hotel at a time close to check in.

Sorry about that, Mrs Capt can thank me later 😂

Did you keep your suitcases with you or did concierge store them for you ? 

4 hours ago, Captain-John said:

It's little touches like this that count in MSC's favour from a guest experience point of view. Very little skin off their back to allow us to stay, but makes a big and pleasant impact on my final impression of the cruise and would definitely influence future bookings.

I believe this would only be available in the YC, due to the vast amount of space within the YC enclave. The rest of the ship is too busy to facilitate such. Another YC perk!!😂

1 minute ago, hamrag said:

I believe this would only be available in the YC, due to the vast amount of space within the YC enclave. The rest of the ship is too busy to facilitate such. Another YC perk!!😂

Yes, definitely under no illusion about that! I did mean that actually - replace 'MSC' with 'MSC YC' in my comment and all makes sense. 🙂

Can you put a price on a perk like that? If you add up all the extras and put a cash value amount on them, is the YC good value for money? So far, I think so - if you can snag a 'deal' relative to the brochure prices.

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Our main suitcases went out the night before and were unloaded as usual, the concierge stored our hand luggage.

We generally self handle all our luggage, so it was 2 large cases and 2 hand luggage for us.

9 minutes ago, hamrag said:

The itinerary is probably also a consideration, we'd sailed a TA but it was our second stop in Barbados and passengers had embarked for a 14 night cruise, 7 days previously. In the med passengers are on and off everyday, so again, probably no issue. If it's a closed loop and everyone is due to disembark, they may not be as accommodating. On a cruise ending in the USA you'd definitely be off the ship in the morning as they need to zero out.

3 minutes ago, hamrag said:

We generally self handle all our luggage, so it was 2 large cases and 2 hand luggage for us.

I want to do this - but was refused on Meraviglia disembarking in Kiel.

If I can do this in Barcelona, I will. I do dislike putting it out the night before and we're physically able enough to manage it off the ship ourselves. Like I said above, one of the drawbacks of cruises compared to other forms of 'vacation' is having to put the case out the night before. We like NCL, because you can self disembark without having to push too hard for it. I understand MSC's default is to take it off for you but I definitely don't see it as an advantage.

More likely they will approve such a request in the YC - although on Meraviglia we were told it would be 'more hassle for everyone' if we took our own luggage off. There was a shuttle bus that took us from the ship to the baggage reclaim tent, so maybe that's what they meant - not enough room on the bus for people + luggage.

1 minute ago, Captain-John said:

.....Can you put a price on a perk like that? If you add up all the extras and put a cash value amount on them, is the YC good value for money? So far, I think so - if you can snag a 'deal' relative to the brochure prices.

Indeed! And we did the same as CF27 on Preziosa in Barbados February past, staying till about 4.30 so we had lunch and then some snacks at 4pm meaning we didn't need a full meal at our hotel. Not sure if she was on our specific cruise, as there were a few jan/feb with identical set-up. 

If you are looking to snag a deal, for 6 December on Divina from Miami for 11 nights the pricing is good and it is also a Voyagers  5%+15% discount cruise and of course 50euro pp OBC....still good availability of YC1 cabins. The price on my favoured UK TA website is £2028 with 5+15 to come of that if you qualify, reducing it to £1638pp. That equates to £150 pppd, good value if you don't mind returning only a week before Christmas.

If you are looking to snag a deal, for 6 December on Divina from Miami for 11 nights the pricing is good and it is also a Voyagers  5%+15% discount cruise and of course 50euro pp OBC....still good availability of YC1 cabins. The price on my favoured UK TA website is £2028 with 5+15 to come of that if you qualify, reducing it to £1638pp. That equates to £150 pppd, good value if you don't mind returning only a week before Christmas.

Please don't tempt me! I have a BA 'companion voucher' sitting idle, which if they're not on strike would do nicely for a hop across the pond. And, I absolutely hate Christmas, so it would suit me fine! 😂 I've already had CF cost me a trip to Barbados, where do I send you the bill for this one?

Edited by Captain-John
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

If I can do this in Barcelona, I will. I do dislike putting it out the night before and we're physically able enough to manage it off the ship ourselves. Like I said above, one of the drawbacks of cruises compared to other forms of 'vacation' is having to put the case out the night before. We like NCL, because you can self disembark without having to push too hard for it. I understand MSC's default is to take it off for you but I definitely don't see it as an advantage.

More likely they will approve such a request in the YC - although on Meraviglia we were told it would be 'more hassle for everyone' if we took our own luggage off. There was a shuttle bus that took us from the ship to the baggage reclaim tent, so maybe that's what they meant - not enough room on the bus for people + luggage.

I was most surprised to read this, every MSC cruise we've taken has offered self disembarkation. Just reread your post - my bet would be that it was due to getting the shuttle bus.

7 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

We always do it, but never ask for permission. I always work on the principle, when it suits me, that forgiveness trumps being denied permission! 😉 We just keep it and there is no way they are gonna say you need to leave it behind on disembarkation day.

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Your hotel will also gladly store your luggage until your room is ready, and that way you can begin sightseeing in Barcelona. 

Hi Jazzbeau, we've visited Barcelona many times before so this is more a relaxing post-cruise wind-down than full on exploring, hence I'd love a final leisurely lunch on the ship before entering the relative chaos of Barcelona. But you're absolutely right - sometimes you can be lucky and your room will be ready if you're early, or if not, hotels will store the luggage.

6 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Indeed! And we did the same as CF27 on Preziosa in Barbados February past, staying till about 4.30 so we had lunch and then some snacks at 4pm meaning we didn't need a full meal at our hotel. Not sure if she was on our specific cruise, as there were a few jan/feb with identical set-up. 

We were the Genoa to Barbados repositioning itinerary in Nov - Dec.

1 minute ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I was most surprised to read this, every MSC cruise we've taken has offered self disembarkation. Just reread your post - my bet would be that it was due to getting the shuttle bus.

Really?! I say that in genuine amazement - not just isolated to our Meraviglia cruise but on Orchestra, Fantasia etc. beforehand - I do not recall it being published in the daily that this is an option - and I don't recall seeing many people with full size suitcases on the gangway either. Well I'm definitely pleased if it is offered as an 'official' option - although like Hamrag below, I am happy to rewrite the rules to suit me on occasion. 😛

On NCL, it's much more explicitly clear that you can 'self disembark.'

Just now, hamrag said:

We always do it, but never ask for permission. I always work on the principle, when it suits me, that forgiveness trumps being denied permission! 😉 We just keep it and there is no way they are gonna say you need to leave it behind on disembarkation day.

Yes, I hear you loud and clear! Definitely going to try this in October. Thanks for giving the confidence to do such - you didn't end up int the gulag for it so nor should I. 😄

1 minute ago, Captain-John said:

Yes, I hear you loud and clear! Definitely going to try this in October. Thanks for giving the confidence to do such - you didn't end up int the gulag for it so nor should I. 😄

And what's more, in YC with later in the day disembark a couple of butlers will assist and handle the largest luggage you have as far as the taxi area. I guess that might be to make sure that you finally do leave the ship. 🤣 We always give them $10 or 10 euro each, but it is so worth it not to have to get it all sorted the previous day!

• Haha 1

but it is so worth it not to have to get it all sorted the previous day!

This is especially true with a later disembarkation time. I can't imagine having to pack away everything at midnight and not having access again until well after 12pm the next day. Also a hassle to break stuff down into carry on luggage etc. Definitely going with this method. Plus the 'last day' of the cruise truly would the last day - I won't bother packing until the disembarkation morning with a 12pm dock time. No more 'last day blues' when the cases get rolled out on the penultimate day.

Edited by Captain-John
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Really?! I say that in genuine amazement - not just isolated to our Meraviglia cruise but on Orchestra, Fantasia etc. beforehand - I do not recall it being published in the daily that this is an option - and I don't recall seeing many people with full size suitcases on the gangway either. Well I'm definitely pleased if it is offered as an 'official' option - although like Hamrag below, I am happy to rewrite the rules to suit me on occasion. 😛

On NCL, it's much more explicitly clear that you can 'self disembark.'

I've just looked at a couple of my planners but it isn't there, DH remembers it as clearly as I do and we think it's on the extra letter or notice you receive. We've never considered it so I gloss over that element. I keep everything we need in the cabin bags and leave the porters to struggle with the suitcases, I have enough of that at the airport etc

Hopefully you'll be able to do so on your upcoming sailing. Can't be long now?

4 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I've just looked at a couple of my planners but it isn't there, DH remembers it as clearly as I do and we think it's on the extra letter or notice you receive. We've never considered it so I gloss over that element. I keep everything we need in the cabin bags and leave the porters to struggle with the suitcases, I have enough of that at the airport etc

Hopefully you'll be able to do so on your upcoming sailing. Can't be long now?

Had a scan through my archives as well, seems I never keep that final notice either (it's a very cruel, sad notice 😞 ).

33 days until the cruise, 32 until we leave - spending the day/night in London beforehand as no direct flights to Genoa from Edinburgh.