On Renting a Car on Hawaiian Cruises

uman2631

I'm writing this because when I did research on renting a car during a Hawaiian cruise, much of the information I read was out of date.  These tips/info is accurate as of May 2019, but is definitely subject to change.

Overall tips:
1) With the exception of Kona, all rental cars will have to be picked up at the airport.  That means you need to allow at least 45 minutes to wait for a shuttle or taxi to get to the airport from the harbor, wait in line, and complete the paperwork before you can be on your way.  That also means that you need extra time to return the car to the rental center, and travel back to the harbor and get through security before all-aboard.

2) Even if you have an overnight stay, I'd suggest only renting the car for 1 day at a time.  That's because there's no place to park the car overnight at any of the ports (no matter what you read online).  All of the harbors have increased security, and you cannot park there, friends cannot wait there to pick you up, etc.  And the surrounding areas all have signs that do not allow overnight parking, threatening to tow your car.

3) If at all possible, don't pre-pay for your car, just make the reservation.  Plans change, especially on a cruise, and you don't want to wind up paying for a car that you don't end up picking up.

4) For the ports where rental car agencies operate shuttles, they generally know when you are arriving, so that they will have shuttles available then.  If you aren't going to immediately pick up the car in the morning, call the local rental agency location to find out what their shuttle run schedule is.  Some run continuously, some run for a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the afternoon, some require a phone call requesting a pick up.

5) For those wondering if it is "worth it," cost-wise, to rent a car instead of going on an excursion, my personal opinion: for 1 or 2 people, by the time you rent the car, pay the insurance, and the gas, and the loss of time spent going to/from the airport, you will probably break even in cost.  3+ people, you will definitely save money renting a car vs. going on an excursion.

My specific experiences:
Maui/Kahului Harbor:  My least favorite experience renting a car.  Rental car agencies could not provide pick up shuttles because of the very high level of security at this port.  A limited number of taxis were available to take you to the airport to pick up your car.  Cost is $10.  Distance to airport is about 4 miles.  Most rental car agencies will have special shuttles to take you back to the ship, for free/tips, so you won't have to pay to get back.   As I said, you cannot park your car at the harbor, or surrounding areas.  Friends cannot pick you up at the harbor.  Neither can Uber/Lyft, unless they have a harbor security card.  If you wish to use Uber/Lyft, there is a grocery story across from the harbor, that you can use as a place to get picked up.  Keep in mind, there is almost nothing to do in the immediate area around the Maui port.  It's a total industrial area.  This was also the only port where 3rd party tour services weren't readily available at the harbor to take you to various destinations (although they were probably available outside of the port, but I never really looked).

Hilo, Hawaii:  A much better experience.  All of the major rental car agencies had shuttles rotating to pick you up at the harbor and take you to the airport to get your rental.  In our case, they even had our name on a daily manifest, so they were totally expecting us, and it made the experience very easy.  They also had a "last shuttle" back time, in our case it was 4pm, so be sure to return your car on time.  Distance from harbor to airport is about 3 miles.

Kona, Hawaii:  This was the only port where we had to tender in (which takes about 15 minutes or so, not counting waiting time).  You get dropped off right in the heart of downtown Kona.  This is the only port where you can pick up your car at a place other than the airport.  Dollar, Thrifty, and Hertz can all be picked up at the huge King Kamehameha Hotel across the street from the pier.  The hotel also has shuttles to the airport if you want to rent a car there from a different agency.  It's also the only port where there is a plenty to do in the immediate area without needing to rent a car.

Nawiliwili, Kauai: Like Hilo, they have shuttles that can pick you up at the harbor and take you to the airport, and drop you back off.  Distance is about 3 miles.  In our case, when dropping us back off at the harbor, they literally drove us in the car we rented.

I didn't rent a car at any of the other ports, so I cannot speak to any of the others.

Edited by uman2631
  • Like 1

Also, if you are a smoker and have kids, please review the smoking laws in Hawaii. In many places, smoking/vaping in a car with kids (up to the age of 18 in some counties), is illegal and the police target tourist violating the law. 

19 hours ago, uman2631 said:

Hilo, Hawaii:  A much better experience.  All of the major rental car agencies had shuttles rotating to pick you up at the harbor and take you to the airport to get your rental.  In our case, they even had our name on a daily manifest, so they were totally expecting us, and it made the experience very easy.  They also had a "last shuttle" back time, in our case it was 4pm, so be sure to return your car on time.  Distance from harbor to airport is about 3 miles.

If you plan on driving up to Mauna Kea, book a 4WD from Harper - we did so and they met us off ship (they do have shuttle) and their service was excellent. Didn't take long for us to go up top (fantastic drive) and we had time to explore Rainbow Falls and some shopping.

You must have a 4WD to go up Mauna Kea (almost 14K feet) as normal vehicles are not permitted beyond the Visitor Center (at 9K feet - you must stop there for 30 minutes to get acclimated to high altitude).

Tip: take a bottle of water. Drink half of it at the top and screw cap on tightly, take a photo of it. Then when you are back on the main road … take another picture of it!

Edited by bluesea777

Just an FYI, not all Maui rental car companies are at the airport. If you do a search on Google map you will find other rental car companies that are within walking distance from the Kahului harbor where the ships dock.

Shaun

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Also, if you are a smoker and have kids, please review the smoking laws in Hawaii. In many places, smoking/vaping in a car with kids (up to the age of 18 in some counties), is illegal and the police target tourist violating the law. 

I live in Maine and it is also illegal to smoke in a car if you have children present (but I believe it is only up to 16 year old).

We rented cars during our hawaii cruise, and although it was nice, I felt as if I was missing out as there was no narration and we didn't always know where we should go ... Next time I would do a small (number of people) tour.  Jan