Kids menu MDR

cjthedjeu

Is there a kids menu in the MDR? I know that there is a kids buffet in the buffet restaurant a bit earlier but wondered if there is an option for the kids to eat with us (they are fussy and will not eat anything from the main menu).

Thanks

1 hour ago, cjthedjeu said:

Is there a kids menu in the MDR? I know that there is a kids buffet in the buffet restaurant a bit earlier but wondered if there is an option for the kids to eat with us (they are fussy and will not eat anything from the main menu).

Thanks

I’ve seen one from time to time at lunch, but not at dinner.

Having said that, though, I’m pretty sure that if you had a word with the maitre d’ one would magically appear whenever you wanted to eat.

There is an extensive children’s menu, and if the new website was more user-friendly I would try to make a link for you.

Basically - there’s everything!  Small potions of whatever is on the adult menu for the day, or modern ‘kid stuff’ like burgers & nuggets, or pasta + bolognaise or tomato sauce, or roast chicken, or sausages, or fish & chips etc etc etc

The waiters adore having children at their tables - they’ll do all they can to keep everyone happy

There is (as eddie11 says) a menu for kids for kids basics like burgers & nuggets, or pasta + bolognaise or tomato sauce, or roast chicken, or sausages, or fish & chips. This is the same menu everyday.

For many years now my autistic child has had the menu for the following evening brought to him by the M'aitre D where he gets to pick what he would like the following evening, if there is nothing he can have due to allergies he tells the MD what he wants and it's especially prepared. This is P&O at it's very best, nothing is too much trouble and they go out of their way to make sure he gets the best possible treatment.

I would suggest that you make a meal plan of what meals each child would eat and present it to the waiter and ask if they could have one of those meals when they dine with you.

6 hours ago, docco said:

I’ve seen one from time to time at lunch, but not at dinner.

Having said that, though, I’m pretty sure that if you had a word with the maitre d’ one would magically appear whenever you wanted to eat.

There is a kids menu at dinner, my son ate of it every night last week in the MDR on Azura. It is the same menu every night with pasta, chicken nuggets, sausage and mash plus kids desserts 

Edited by clarkttopcat

10 minutes ago, clarkttopcat said:

There is a kids menu at dinner, my son ate of it every night last week in the MDR on Azura. It is the same menu every night with pasta, chicken nuggets, sausage and mash plus kids desserts 

Happy to stand corrected. I've never seen it, but to be fair, I don't think we've ever eaten at a table in the MDR with children on - probably because of the times of year that we travel. 

Well behaved children are a delight, and would probably enhance many a dull table. My grandchildren would love it, I'm sure - though I doubt my granddaughter's politics would go down too well!

18 minutes ago, docco said:

Happy to stand corrected. I've never seen it, but to be fair, I don't think we've ever eaten at a table in the MDR with children on - probably because of the times of year that we travel. 

Well behaved children are a delight, and would probably enhance many a dull table. My grandchildren would love it, I'm sure - though I doubt my granddaughter's politics would go down too well!

To be fair unless you have eaten with kids then you wouldnt know as I guess they only bring it out if there are children at the table. The waiter loved my son and he knows that he must be on his best behavour at the dinner table

Edited by clarkttopcat

Your children can pick from both menus .. which ours love doing. Dining in the MDR is always one of our children's favourite times on board. They are looked after brilliantly by all the dining room staff.

3 hours ago, BarneyCat said:

They even have potato smilies on there (or did in 2016). Some nights the kid’s menu is more appealing than the grown ups one...

No potato smiles on their last week. Dont know what menu you had in MDR but chicken nuggets or sausage and mash was never more appealing than the main menu.

15 minutes ago, clarkttopcat said:

No potato smiles on their last week. Dont know what menu you had in MDR but chicken nuggets or sausage and mash was never more appealing than the main menu.

What was wrong?  I've made plenty of criticisms of P&O since our last cruise on Azura, but the food in the MDR was consistently good.

13 minutes ago, docco said:

What was wrong?  I've made plenty of criticisms of P&O since our last cruise on Azura, but the food in the MDR was consistently good.

There was nothing wrong with the food in MDR, thats what I was saying. The kids menu was never more appealing than the main menu

My daughter has regularly been sailing on P&O fourteen years and is now 16.  Couple of points we found out over the years which worked well. Firstly the children's early tea was useful for many years as she could get down the children's club early and I could get to dinner alone.  As she got older and wanted to come to dinner with me and cared less about the children's club. I helped her though the menu and discussed what she probably would enjoy. Sometimes she would go for the children's menu which was fair enough but I did encourage her where possible to try the main menu.  At times she would experiment a bit go for something we have never had at home and not like the dish.  In this situation I advised her to simply leave it with no fuss and wait for the next course.  Waiters normally step in at this point and offer a second chance including children's menu. At the end of the meal we just worked out whether we should then go straight  to the buffet or hit the theatre etc. with a later on buffet meal.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

• 2 weeks later...

Our son (nearly 9) has completed 6 cruises and much prefers the MDR to the childrens early tea. 99% of the time he opts for the pasta with tomato sauce from the kids menu and he always talks about it pre-cruise. That said the waiters have always been fantastic with him, suggesting alternatives and side dishes to go with his regular main. Pasta with tomato sauce and a side plate of green beans anyone?

More recently he sometimes chooses something as a starter so that he can have different courses that align with the grown-ups, and the waiters have always been more than happy to accommodate him with items from the childrens menu or the main menu.  We've also had occasions when they bring him a small taster "just to try".

On 5/25/2019 at 11:28 AM, clarkttopcat said:

Pleased to confirm that potato smilies are on there as of last week (1st-8th June). Although my three year old got served alphabites instead to his dismay.