Using airport transfer for bag service in Barcelona?

Kruisn'Kay

We will be flying in to Barcelona and have an airport transfer already booked with NCL. Since the ship will be in port until early evening, we would like to visit a few places in Barcelona before we get on the ship. So, I was thinking of two options: 1. Check our bags in with NCL at the airport (we already booked the transfer) so that we can take a cab and sight see before we board. 2. Take the airport transfer to the ship, check in our bags and then hop in a cab and sight see.

I’ve only done the airport transfer one other time with NCL in Vancouver and I can’t remember, but I think once they took our bags at the airport, the next time that we saw them was outside our cabin door. I’m not sure if it works that way at every port. If you all have any input or ideas on how to see a little bit of Barcelona before our cruise, please let me know. Thank you!

Barcelona is a great city and I enjoy sailing from there.  Just a few notes that can hopefully help you on your cruise.

• Airport is about a 15 minute ride from the Cruise Terminal.  I'd recommend dropping bags at the port and then going to explore.
  • Traffic in Barcelona around the port is horrendous.  Keep this in mind when you go sightseeing before your cruise.  Allow enough time to get back to the terminal and check in.
  • The cruise terminal is just about walking distance from La Rambla which is the main strip in Barcelona.  You can walk around, see some of the gothic district, have some tapas, and really get a good feel for the city in this area.  
  • Keep in mind that the city essentially shuts down for Siesta in the middle of the day typically from 2pm-4pm and many businesses will be closed.
  • Make sure to plan the spots you want to go in advance.  Again, traffic can be horrendous and you don't want to get caught across town and not make it back to the cruise port in time.
  • I highly recommend the Picasso Museum if you have the opportunity to go.  It's amazing.

Enjoy Barcelona and have a great cruise!

Most of the sites are closer to port side then airport side of Barcelona. Personally, I would take the transfer and explore after the porters take your bags. There is a subway near the port that takes you to all the sites.

Last summer we hit a cruise traffic jam in our cab and it was stop and go for 30mins from start of port to the ship check in. Just keep that in mind.

I recommend taking the transfer, check-in your bags (and yourself) and then take the blue T3 Port bus (4 Euro return ticket) to the Columbus colum at the foot of La Rambla.

The cab into town will be 40 to 50 Euro at least. There´s only a flat fee from the airport to the port (39 Euro).

No, the cruise port is not within walking distance and there is no subway close to port (unless the ship docks at the WTC which is pretty unlikely for any NCL ship). You have to take the T3 Port bus. Then you´re within walking distance of downtown and the subway station Drassanes. You can walk out of the port - I´ve done this but it´s at least a 30 min walk.

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 2:43 PM, Lupush said:

Barcelona is a great city and I enjoy sailing from there.  Just a few notes that can hopefully help you on your cruise.

• Airport is about a 15 minute ride from the Cruise Terminal.  I'd recommend dropping bags at the port and then going to explore.
  • Traffic in Barcelona around the port is horrendous.  Keep this in mind when you go sightseeing before your cruise.  Allow enough time to get back to the terminal and check in.
  • The cruise terminal is just about walking distance from La Rambla which is the main strip in Barcelona.  You can walk around, see some of the gothic district, have some tapas, and really get a good feel for the city in this area.  
  • Keep in mind that the city essentially shuts down for Siesta in the middle of the day typically from 2pm-4pm and many businesses will be closed.
  • Make sure to plan the spots you want to go in advance.  Again, traffic can be horrendous and you don't want to get caught across town and not make it back to the cruise port in time.
  • I highly recommend the Picasso Museum if you have the opportunity to go.  It's amazing.

Enjoy Barcelona and have a great cruise!

Wow! Thanks for all of your help!!!!

On 5/31/2019 at 12:38 AM, steamboats said:

I recommend taking the transfer, check-in your bags (and yourself) and then take the blue T3 Port bus (4 Euro return ticket) to the Columbus colum at the foot of La Rambla.

The cab into town will be 40 to 50 Euro at least. There´s only a flat fee from the airport to the port (39 Euro).

No, the cruise port is not within walking distance and there is no subway close to port (unless the ship docks at the WTC which is pretty unlikely for any NCL ship). You have to take the T3 Port bus. Then you´re within walking distance of downtown and the subway station Drassanes. You can walk out of the port - I´ve done this but it´s at least a 30 min walk.

steamboats

On 5/30/2019 at 2:45 PM, tulok said:

Most of the sites are closer to port side then airport side of Barcelona. Personally, I would take the transfer and explore after the porters take your bags. There is a subway near the port that takes you to all the sites.

Last summer we hit a cruise traffic jam in our cab and it was stop and go for 30mins from start of port to the ship check in. Just keep that in mind.

Thank you for your specific help!!!

• Like 1