Ketchikan sightseeing

Bluestar01

Hello:

What's your top rated excursion in Ketchikan?

Going by research on trip adviser, I thought it would be Misty Fjords, however, after the recent plane crashes, we don;t want to venture it by airplane. I was looking at boat cruise, however, not sure how much we'll get to see in late August (with weather being a factor).

We don;t really just walk around the port, but if possible, would like to try to see the nature's beauty.  

What will you advice?

Thanks so much. 

We signed up for a trolley tour and wildlife exploration (cove) in port.    It was not good.   A total waste of money.   I wish I listened to another poster who said it was not worth it.  

I would suggest reconsidering the Misty float plane or the boat tour.  

I had an excellent experience seeing Totem Bight and the Lunch Creek Trail with Wild Wolf Tours in 2016. Tracy is informative, friendly, and just a joy to travel around with, and she worked with me and her other bookings to get me onto her schedule.

Yeah the float plane issues are definitely a concern - I had considered doing the Misty Fjords trip when I was there last summer but those small planes made me nervous even before the crashes, never mind now. 

Just about everything worth checking out in Ketchikan is fairly close and walkable from the port (Creek Street, the Lumberjack Show, Totem Heritage Center etc.) so I definitely wouldn't take a city tour unless it was with something else more exciting.

I recommend Totem Bight as well. It's not very large but it is pretty nice - the clan house is a nice photo op. There is some scenery while there and on the way to and from (the port is about 15-20 minutes away from it I would say?) A tour that combines that with something else like a guided walk in the Tongass or something like that would be a good scenic opportunity.

I understand that the weather is not great in Ketchikan most of the time LOL - but both times I've been there it's been sunny for a good part of the time we were there. (The one time was in early August) So maybe you will get lucky as well! 🙂

The salmon might be running in August.  If so, do not skip Creek Street and the fish ladder downtown.  It's amazing.  Plus, you might see harbor seals close up, feasting on the plentiful fish.  🙂  

Totem Bight's really nice, and there are various great hiking trails in the area, like Carlanna Lake and Ward Lake.  I personally love Deer Mountain.  It's very steep and often wet, but it's so green and the views up top are very nice, and it's hard to believe it's so close to town (you don't even have to mess with a taxi or bus...though taking the free shuttle to the Totem Heritage Center really shortens the walk to the trailhead). 

Deer Mountain pics:  https://www.melindabrasher.com/2017/02/deer-mountain-trail-ketchikan-alaska.html    

We haven't done it yet,  but we're signed up for a zodiak boat tour. Each boat carries 4 people (you drive yourself) and you zip around the coast looking for wildlife.  They outfit you with rain gear head to toe to keep you warm and dry.  

If you want to see the natural beauty of the area the best way is to rent a car and get outside of town. Drive to Ward Lake and do the easy loop hike around the lake, drive out the the Hatchery on the other end of the road and see the waterfalls along the way, stop at Herring Cove to possibly see bears feeding on salmon. Visit Totem Bight and explore the beaches - have a picnic and take it all in. So much better then traipsing around town shoulder to shoulder with other cruise passengers shopping for trinkets.

2 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

If you want to see the natural beauty of the area the best way is to rent a car and get outside of town. Drive to Ward Lake and do the easy loop hike around the lake, drive out the the Hatchery on the other end of the road and see the waterfalls along the way, stop at Herring Cove to possibly see bears feeding on salmon. Visit Totem Bight and explore the beaches - have a picnic and take it all in. So much better then traipsing around town shoulder to shoulder with other cruise passengers shopping for trinkets.

Great advice - I think this is what we'll do!

• Like 1

Misty Fjords is also accessible by boat.  It's a long, lazy trip but truly spectacular once you arrive.  I've done it both ways and they are completely different experiences.  If you really want to see it, go!  It's so worth the trip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 8:33 AM, Bluestar01 said:

Hello:

What's your top rated excursion in Ketchikan?

Going by research on trip adviser, I thought it would be Misty Fjords, however, after the recent plane crashes, we don;t want to venture it by airplane. I was looking at boat cruise, however, not sure how much we'll get to see in late August (with weather being a factor).

We don;t really just walk around the port, but if possible, would like to try to see the nature's beauty.  

What will you advice?

Thanks so much. 

We booked a charter boat through Ketchikan Adventures.  They have regular walk off the pier cruises also, but for our party of 7 it was cheaper to do a charter.  We will also have an additional hour on the water than the cruise ship tours they provide.  Very amicable and provide veterans a discount as well.  We will be on NCL in late August, what is your ship sail date?

Edited by sometimes sailor