Quest in Vancouver

Cruise Junky

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

We did Vancouver to Seward last year on the Millennium and we loved Vancouver.  It has to be one of the best places to begin a cruise.  

Thank you. I do love being only 2 blocks away from the port to walk down and see the different ships in port. 

21 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Thank you. I do love being only 2 blocks away from the port to walk down and see the different ships in port. 

WOW...lucky you!! What a great spot to have your home!!! LuAnn

38 minutes ago, jruben18 said:

Does anyone know if the Pan Pacific would be a good hotel choice to stay over night awaiting an early next morning flight after I debark the Quest on 7/2? Seems convenient. Thanks.

Pan Pacific is a great pre cruise hotel. However, if your flight is early I would consider staying closer to the airport to save time in the morning.

We disembark on 7/12 and have a 9am flight the following morning. We are staying at the Fairmont at YVR post cruise. Our plan is to check in at the airport hotel and use the Skytrain to go back downtown during the day.

1 hour ago, jruben18 said:

Does anyone know if the Pan Pacific would be a good hotel choice to stay over night awaiting an early next morning flight after I debark the Quest on 7/2? Seems convenient. Thanks.

It's super convenient. I actually prefer the Waterfront which is across the street but certainly nothing wrong with the Pan.  And as mentioned about, there is a lovely Fairmont at the airport but I'd hate to miss out on downtown by staying in Richmond.  you're only 30 mins on the skytrain to the airport from downtown.

• Thanks 1

I'd agree that staying downtown is more efficient than staying at the airport - even with the Fairmont there being connected to the terminal so definitely the most convenient hotel, it ruins the time saving by adding an hour back for the trip downtown again! Plus, it ain't cheap... plenty of very nice downtown hotels cost less than the airport Fairmont! A 9am flight gives plenty of time to head to YVR by SkyTrain or cab next morning, and even the extra 30mins kip can be offset by simply going to bed earlier in your downtown hotel 😉

18 minutes ago, martincath said:

I'd agree that staying downtown is more efficient than staying at the airport - even with the Fairmont there being connected to the terminal so definitely the most convenient hotel, it ruins the time saving by adding an hour back for the trip downtown again! Plus, it ain't cheap... plenty of very nice downtown hotels cost less than the airport Fairmont! A 9am flight gives plenty of time to head to YVR by SkyTrain or cab next morning, and even the extra 30mins kip can be offset by simply going to bed earlier in your downtown hotel 😉

I will re consider our plans!  If we need to be at the airport by 7ish on a Saturday, what time would you recommend leaving downtown (via taxi)? 

On a side note, The Fairmont is comparable in price to the Marriott and less than the Pan Pacific. Plus the convenience early morning is appealing.😆

Saturday traffic, a 6:30am pickup downtown will be fine - 2 hours preflight will probably still be at least an hour longer than needed at YVR, but you can always grab a last Timmies breakfast before the flight to avoid plane food!

The PP's pricing definitely jumps beyond it's peers (and even some better-rated hotels) throughout cruise season thanks to the ridonkulous convenience of it's location; but if you're looking at the Marriott level try the Delta (now run by Marriott) - thanks to it being an old Delta Suites it has extremely large rooms with a location that's under 10mins walk to or from the pier - as well as the Pinnacle (Harbourfront, not At The Pier) and Auberge. Coast's Coal Harbour location is a relatively new & shiny hotel too, while still being a big step down in pricing from the luxury chains.

50 minutes ago, martincath said:

Saturday traffic, a 6:30am pickup downtown will be fine - 2 hours preflight will probably still be at least an hour longer than needed at YVR, but you can always grab a last Timmies breakfast before the flight to avoid plane food!

The PP's pricing definitely jumps beyond it's peers (and even some better-rated hotels) throughout cruise season thanks to the ridonkulous convenience of it's location; but if you're looking at the Marriott level try the Delta (now run by Marriott) - thanks to it being an old Delta Suites it has extremely large rooms with a location that's under 10mins walk to or from the pier - as well as the Pinnacle (Harbourfront, not At The Pier) and Auberge. Coast's Coal Harbour location is a relatively new & shiny hotel too, while still being a big step down in pricing from the luxury chains.

Great suggestions, thanks!

I am used to departing YVR same day as the cruise, I don’t imagine at 8am the lines will be long with ship passengers!

4 hours ago, jruben18 said:

I am on a 7am AA flight to DFW so I might head to the Fairmont. Maybe I can check my bags and enjoy the waterfront first, though. Thanks for all the input. Very helpful!

7am flight means you need to be aware that CBP don't open until 4:30am - well, really they don't start processing anyone until more like 4:45am so there's a big queue of all the folks unfamiliar with YVR who have flights between 6am and 8am. Most folks know to show up at least 3 hours early for international flights in most airports - so they do, only to find that they can't go anywhere after Security! We take the first SkyTrain of the day for early flights, even 6am ones, as that arrives a touch after 5am and by the time we drop bags and get through security the backlog at CBP has been dealt with. "Arrive at 5" is my mantra for those early US-bound flights - which means leaving the Fairmont YVR at about 4:58am 😉

4 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

Great suggestions, thanks!

I am used to departing YVR same day as the cruise, I don’t imagine at 8am the lines will be long with ship passengers!

The very first folks off a ship, self-disembarking and jumping straight in a cab might just manage to get to YVR by 8am - if all the lights are green! Fellow cruise pax only start to impact queues closer to 9am, with the bulk of the delays kicking after 9:30am as the cruise shuttle buses start arriving. You'll have no problems at all with cruisers impacting your flight unless you turn up after it already left, in which case long queues would be the least of your problems!!!