First night's dinner and luggage on a 6:30 PM sailaway

This question might be relevant to any of today's Imagination/Inspiration itineraries sailing out of Long Beach, so I'm sure anyone who sailed on those might know it.  They leave at 6:30 PM instead of the more common 4:00 PM sailaway.  That cuts into the early dining time at 6:00 PM.  The late dining time, which I have, is not affected.

I'm wondering how they handle dinner on the first night.  Is it changed to open seating, like on 10:00 PM sailaways out of San Juan?  Or do they keep the normal assigned dining times, with the knowledge that some people won't make it?  And what time do they usually bring the luggage to your cabin?  (On 4:00 PM sailaways, it usually comes between 5:00 and 6:00.)

If luggage doesn't get delivered quickly, would you recommend getting FTTF, so I can go straight to my cabin with all my bags right at embarkation?

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Our experience on the Imagination was that there was no changed made for dinner, it was as usual. We, personally, don’t care about the sailaway party, so it didn’t matter to us. If you do, and have early dinner, you’ll have to plan on eating in the lido the first night. 

I always find FTTF worth it for early access to your room, but that’s just me. 

Edited by bakersdozen12

5 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

We were on the Inspiration in April. We boarded the ship at 11:15 am and had our luggage by 2 PM. Muster drill was at 4:45 pm. Dinner was at the usual times. 😎

This is a reassuring post.  Thanks.  If the same will be true for me, I got nothing to worry about.  My dinner is at 8:15 PM.  I was just concerned that I might not get my luggage in time for dinner and the Welcome Aboard show.  I'm a simple man, but I do like to dress up for dinner on cruises.  It's mostly a psychological thing for me.  I pay a lot for a cruise, going solo and all, so I want it to feel fancy.  I can wear shorts and a T-shirt when eating with friends at my local sports bar.

I suppose if I'm that concerned, I can get FTTF, not give my luggage to the porters, and take it to by cabin right at embarkation.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I was on Imagination on June 16-20 and without bothering to do FTTF,  I was able to board before noon.  My boarding appointment was scheduled for Noon to 12:30, but I showed up a bit early and was expecting to be asked to wait.  But they allowed me to board.  I carried my own luggage.  I rode the waterslide and had lunch before heading to the room.  Without FTTF, you will not be able to get to your room until 1:30, but that isn't a problem for me.  

As others have said, dinner is at the usual times.  The boat doesn't have to start moving before they start serving dinner.

You don't have to wear shorts onto the ship. We never do ! You don't have to buy FTTF if you don't want to do that. Just wear something decent as you board the ship if you're worried about not getting your luggage on time.

There are other options. You could also arrive at 1-1:30, carry on your luggage, and go directly to your cabin. No need to pay for FTTF. Another option is to pack all outfits but one in a checked bag, and carry the first night’s outfit in a carry on. That one you could have with you until the cabins open up at 1:30.

Bob

d62d991b639c4e6c0d2c10283efaa2e5.jpg

Even in the golden age of cruise liners crossing the oceans as the only mode of transportation.  Dressing for dinner was not required on the first night.  The evening suits came out on day 2 for dinner.  Again, everyone wore a suit and tie while embarking, but the same holds true for today.  No one is expected to adhere to a more dressed up dress code on night one.   If it really is a psychological thing packing a dress shirt and tie in your carry on bag would be one way to be prepared for dinner.

Edited by Sauer-kraut