Ocean Compass App -Chat feature

bazan

someone told me that the chat feature in the compass app do not allow you to chat with minors (under 18) i.e. eventhough my kids (14 and 10) stay in the same room but still you cannot use the feature to chat with them? This  kind of make the supposingly useful function useless especially if i want to use it to get a hold of my kids in the ship? Anyone with minors has experience to confirm?

thanks

I can't believe they would not allow messages between minors & adults. 

I find that their messaging system to be useless anyway since there's no audible tone & everyone has to keep checking their phones all day long. 

It's a very poor design. 

12 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I find that their messaging system to be useless anyway since there's no audible tone & everyone has to keep checking their phones all day long. 

It's a very poor design. 

A couple of months ago someone reported that this had been fixed and the system now has an audible tone to announce messages. 

Did you have a different experience? We'll be on the CB next week so very curious.

3 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

A couple of months ago someone reported that this had been fixed and the system now has an audible tone to announce messages. 

Did you have a different experience? We'll be on the CB next week so very curious.

Nothing to confirm it but it used to be that way the last time I checked it ilast year. 

Let us know if anything has changed.

I would love to have that tone. 

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Nothing to confirm it but it used to be that way the last time I checked it ilast year. 

Let us know if anything has changed.

I would love to have that tone. 

Will do. 

If your kids have a cell phone you can use normal text messaging.  We used it all the time last March on the Caribbean Princess.  You can even text anyone else anywhere.  We didn't use the ship's messaging system

I don’t remember any “chat” feature on OceanCompass. I thought that was just an interactive deck map.

There are a number of features in OceanConcierge, including Contacts, messaging, shipboard folio, order breakfast room service, buy an FCC, etc. very similar to princess@sea. It would be weird to have messaging through two different apps but if you say it’s with OceanCompass, I guess so. 

Don't know if the messaging in OceanConcierge is limited to adults. This is OceanConcierge:

FCF323BF-9009-4041-82D2-68BD6DDA3BF7.jpeg

2 hours ago, zahav1 said:

If your kids have a cell phone you can use normal text messaging.  We used it all the time last March on the Caribbean Princess.  You can even text anyone else anywhere.  We didn't use the ship's messaging system

You sure can provided you have unlimited internet service.

Some of pay as you go. 

Regular texting may work over the ship's wifi even if you don't pay for Internet. I was on the Ruby in April and was very surprised that I could text back and forth with my daughter who was at home while we were out at sea. I did not have any type of paid Internet plan, and we were way out of range of any land-based cell tower, and my phone doesn't work with ship-based cell towers. I just connected to the ship's wifi to use the Princess@Sea Intranet site, and I am 100% sure that they didn't give me Internet access by mistake because I kept having to disable wifi whenever we were near land so that I could use cellular data to read email. DD and I both have Google Fi as our cell service. 

This is just my own experience. YMMV if you're on a different ship or have a different cell service provider, but I'd say it's worth a try to see if it works in your situation.