Question about wearing Jeans formal nights

b8tzm

I have to question why you are asking this, have you not been here for the last few days & read the other thread pertaining to this :rolleyes: !

"Baits"??? LOL! Not just the past few days, but since June :D Has there been anything other than formal night threads and threads about the special on tv tonight??? LOL!!! This board seems to be loaded with both today...

I don't see why everyone seems to have a problem with jeans on formal nite. I've in the past on many ships, went with only black jeans and a toned down cruise shirt(Tommy Bahama type), and of course sneekers. Fromal attire is recomended, not required. It's your vacation do what works for you. You could always go to the casual dinnig area or order room service.:)

I don't see why everyone seems to have a problem with jeans on formal nite. I've in the past on many ships, went with only black jeans and a toned down cruise shirt(Tommy Bahama type), and of course sneekers. Fromal attire is recomended, not required. It's your vacation do what works for you. You could always go to the casual dinnig area or order room service.:)

I agree, not a problem with wearing jeans on formal night for the casual dining area or to order room service!

I agree, not a problem with wearing jeans on formal night for the casual dining area or to order room service!

Oh come on, there has to be somewhere where a hawaiian shirt and jeans is considered formal :p LOL

on the glory last new years there were about 300 of use who got our clothes about half way through becuase of the airline strikes and snow storms causing bags to get left behind. since there were so many of us with no clothes many wore robes to the formal night, we wore what we had we had no other choice. it wasnt fun, lucky for us for the second formal night we had all out nice clothes and it was a great cruise. hope to do it again someday...just hope out bags join us.

.......many of us with no clothes many wore robes to the formal night, we wore what we had we had no other choice.....

Sorry your bags weren't there, but wearing robes to a formal dinner setting is bordering on the ridiculous.:rolleyes:

You say you had no other choice....? You DID wear clothing when boarding the ship, right? (Could have worn your robes to the laundry room and washed your boarding clothes.)

To the OP - Yes, I have actually seen two Maitre d's turn away folks who were inappropriately dressed. Good them them! I wish they all had the fortitude to do that.

Oh come on, there has to be somewhere where a hawaiian shirt and jeans is considered formal :p LOL
In Hawaii, the Hawaiian shirt is considered "best dressed" where on the mainland it is considered casual.

I have seen people turned away for wearing khakis on formal night. This was on Celebrity.:cool:

on the glory last new years there were about 300 of use who got our clothes about half way through becuase of the airline strikes and snow storms causing bags to get left behind. since there were so many of us with no clothes many wore robes to the formal night, we wore what we had we had no other choice. it wasnt fun, lucky for us for the second formal night we had all out nice clothes and it was a great cruise. hope to do it again someday...just hope out bags join us.

I saw a video yesterday that showed several people dancing in their bathrobes and I wondered why. Perhaps it was from your cruise?

I generally don't even post on threads like these but I am reminded of a cruise we took several years ago on the Elation out of Galveston. A gentleman wore a denim tux!! He really looked sharp. He had a pleated tux shirt to go with his denim tux and cowboy hat. There was no mistaking the fact that he wore a tux. I would say this would be an exception because he was dressed "formal". TG23

For various reasons we've decided not to partake of formal nights for this cruise. We will dress casual on those nights, but certainly WILL NOT go into the dining room. Surely, we won't want for food!

We were on a Celebrity one year and our daughter read the wrong dress code of the night.....we were dressed "caribbean" for a semi-formal night. We were not kicked out of the dining room, but the guys felt a bit uncomfortable. We made a joke out of it, laughed at ourselves a bit and no-one died! We travel with family and friends, have wonderful times and are really too busy to notice what others are wearing. "To each his own!"

Happy Cruising.....(Formal or Casual!)

We cruised put of Galveston 2 years ago with my parents and being the hard core cowboy my dad is he wore jeans and a cowboy shirt every night to dinner. He was never made to feel out of place.

We just got back from a RCCL out of Galveston and there were several people wearing jeans on the casual nights and a few on the formal.

I think people take way to much care into what other people are wearing. Focus on what makes you feel comfortable, and have a great time. The cruise lines are more relaxed then they used to be. and I have never seen anyone turned away. Even in shorts. Although i do feel shorts and or t-shirts are a bit to relaxed :)

The most important thing is to have a wonderful time, Dont allow someone to make you feel as though you have to dress to a T just to create a ambiance (not sure on spelling) just for them. most people dont notice whats going on beyond their own table anyway. And once your sitting down, well that explains itself.

Regaurdless of what you wear you will have a great time.

The more I think about it, personally I don't care what people wear if Carnival and their employees allow it . People that desire the more formal need to consider Crystal or even Celebrity where it was strongly enforced when we went

Sorry your bags weren't there, but wearing robes to a formal dinner setting is bordering on the ridiculous.:rolleyes:

You say you had no other choice....? You DID wear clothing when boarding the ship, right? (Could have worn your robes to the laundry room and washed your boarding clothes.)

:D Thanks Cotton. Exactly what I was thinking....

The fact that it even crossed one person's mind to do that, let alone up to as many as 300!?!?! LOL

We cruised put of Galveston 2 years ago with my parents and being the hard core cowboy my dad is he wore jeans and a cowboy shirt every night to dinner. He was never made to feel out of place.

We just got back from a RCCL out of Galveston and there were several people wearing jeans on the casual nights and a few on the formal.

I think people take way to much care into what other people are wearing. Focus on what makes you feel comfortable, and have a great time. The cruise lines are more relaxed then they used to be. and I have never seen anyone turned away. Even in shorts. Although i do feel shorts and or t-shirts are a bit to relaxed :)

The most important thing is to have a wonderful time, Dont allow someone to make you feel as though you have to dress to a T just to create a ambiance (not sure on spelling) just for them. most people dont notice whats going on beyond their own table anyway. And once your sitting down, well that explains itself.

Regaurdless of what you wear you will have a great time.

As has been discussed 4 brazillian times, the dress on the cruises out of Galveston tends to be a little more casual (as in more jeans) simply due to the fact that Texans are jeans wearin, lovin people... even black tie events I have been to in Texas, the men wear jeans with their tux jackets, etc.

But to think that people don't notice what's going on beyond their own table?? LOL.... you must not be a woman :D I ALWAYS check out what others are wearing... not to see if they are dressed too casual, it's just a woman thing... I LOVE seeing the gorgeous dresses on formal night, I also LOVE seeing a man dressed in a tux/suit... so I do indeed look around, and every so often, someone throws something on that makes you wonder "is the mirror broken in their cabin" :p

I live and let live.. but Ill tell you an incident that happened to me with my tablemates.

There are 3 of us and we always get placed with another couple and their child. First formal night we were all dressed. 2nd formal night we dressed but my table mates did not. Their pre teen daughter did dress up. The lady wore bib jeans. The kind you wear to do chores and gardening & stuff like that, and he wore jeans & t shirt. I think their daughter got very embarassed for them and she actually left in the middle of dinner. I felt sad for her. There were not many people at all on our cruise that chose to not dress up at formal night. So they kinda stuck out like a sore thumb.

I live and let live.. but Ill tell you an incident that happened to me with my tablemates.

There are 3 of us and we always get placed with another couple and their child. First formal night we were all dressed. 2nd formal night we dressed but my table mates did not. Their pre teen daughter did dress up. The lady wore bib jeans. The kind you wear to do chores and gardening & stuff like that, and he wore jeans & t shirt. I think their daughter got very embarassed for them and she actually left in the middle of dinner. I felt sad for her. There were not many people at all on our cruise that chose to not dress up at formal night. So they kinda stuck out like a sore thumb.

LOL, well... it sounds like the daughters got manners SOMEWHERE, but definitely not from her parents!!! I would have felt bad for her too... there is nothing like being embarassed by your parents when you are a child! LOL!!

/quote]

Maybe the robes were more appropriate than the clothes they wore for boarding ;) !

As has been discussed 4 brazillian times, the dress on the cruises out of Galveston tends to be a little more casual (as in more jeans) simply due to the fact that Texans are jeans wearin, lovin people... even black tie events I have been to in Texas, the men wear jeans with their tux jackets, etc.

But to think that people don't notice what's going on beyond their own table?? LOL.... you must not be a woman :D I ALWAYS check out what others are wearing... not to see if they are dressed too casual, it's just a woman thing... I LOVE seeing the gorgeous dresses on formal night, I also LOVE seeing a man dressed in a tux/suit... so I do indeed look around, and every so often, someone throws something on that makes you wonder "is the mirror broken in their cabin" :p

LOL Dang right All WOMAN here!

I am soooo sorry i have not read it a "bazillian times" as i am new to the boards. But i assure you that you are treated no differently weather you are dressed to the T or dressed just "nice". I am sure that you love the EYE CANDY....lol, but not everyone shares your opinion and i was sharing mine.

My points is Cruising has changed over the last 10 years and people are more relaxed. Enjoyment is #1 priority. If ANYONE comes to the dining room clean and respectfully dressed who cares. It certainly wouldn't ruin my vacation because somone else wore shorts to dinner. And once again i dont think its appropiate. But i would never give it a second thought, after all i came to mingle with my table mates and enjoy the good food. Throw me a little lobster and you could be naked for all i care..........lol

And by the way we have cruised out of 3 different ports in Florida and was the same on all boats. Always someone trying to make thier own mark.

Heres a story for you my brother went on a cruise and him and some buddys didnt want to dress up on formal night... but to no avail they put on tuxedos, unfortunetly the dress code didnt "suggest" any footwear :eek: so they wore flip flops. Cudos to them everyone got a good laugh and it was a great ice breaker at thier dinner table. So make the dress code what you want it to be for you. and just have fun, after all its the "Fun Ship"

Archived