Booking with AAA

RYPERO

Has anyone booked a cruise using the travel agency at AAA? I was wondering how their service is and if their pricing is good?

Thanks for any help

Carnival Pride 2/08/04

Carnival Pride 2/03

Inspiration 1/02

Ecstasy 5/01

I would look elsewhere. There are probably better deals to be had with some of the dotcom TA's. But it doesn't hurt to price compare. I have even used the Travel Services of my timeshare exchange company for cruises. They will allow anyone to use their service as long as a member number is given to them. It does pay to shop around though.

<html>

<head>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<font color="#FF0000">Grand Princess 2-2001</font>

<font color="#0000FF">Grand Princess 12-2001</font>

<font color="#FF8000">Carnival Paradise 3-2002</font>

<font color="#FF00FF">Carnival Destiny 10-2002</font>

<font color="#008000">Golden Princess 10-2003</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Carnival Legend 6-8-2004</font>

dice.gif

</body>

</html>

We used AAA to book our cruise on the Triumph last year. Prices were pretty good, unfortunately I did not bond with the TA. Would use AAA again, but not the same agent (can't stand arrogance). icon_eek.gif

Mary

Triumph Eastern 10/03

Victory CTN 6/04

Sensational Cruise from the Bayou 10/04

I have had good and not so good experiences with AAA and booking my cruises. I now go elsewhere. Besides the internet, you can also try membership discount stores. I have had great luck with booking my two current cruises.

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

05/30/04 Carnival Pride cruise & the wraparound balcony

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

06/28/04 Ecstasy- Category 12 suite

Mom's 80th birthday surprise!!

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

AAA is great for a lot of things, but I have had no luck getting decent prices from them. Last summer I was in our local AAA office buying movie tickets and asked one of the agents for a Carnival brochure. She offered to check prices for me for our Glory cruise (next month). After telling me I'd better book fast because the quads were almost completely sold out, she gave me a price that was totally ridiculous. I went home, got online and every website I looked at had prices MUCH lower than AAA. We booked elsewhere six months later at less than half the quote AAA gave me. And as of right now, there are STILL plenty of quads available.

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Countdown to Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Emerald Seas 6/86

Emerald Seas 11/87

S.S. Royale 10/88

Celebration 6/97

Grandeur of the Seas 6/98

Sensation 6/99

Carnival Triumph 6/00

Carnival Triumph 11/17/01

Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02

Carnival Victory 5/25/03

Carnival Glory 5/22/04

I think it is a matter of perception.Any TA out there NEEDS to strive for the best deals for clients.AAA,Liberty,AMEX and the like.

I find that the difference is the "agent"

You have good and you have bad no matter what name is behind the agency.AAA has member-only pricing and benefits that are passed along.Price is usually most important to people but I think it goes beyond that.AAA agents should be more in tune from a service standpoint since members are "paying" to join the organization.

The travel aspect of the company is a benefit of your membership.Good agents should know how to "get the deals" in addition to service.

Rates are always going to be competitive...whats after that? Service.

If you are not getting exceptional service I would go to another AAA.

It seems that when posts come up in regards to AAA there is always somebody that says go someplace else and thats fine but please don't lump that one experience into the whole lot for AAA.There are some real great agents out there that KNOW how to do their job and do it well.

It is not realistic to expect a 7 day cruise for $1.00pp just because you paid a $35 fee to join AAA.It more than that icon_smile.gif

Again just my thoughts

Carol

Just my thoughts

Legend to Bermuda - 4/23/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;4;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My cruise is booked thru AAA and I have a very good price. I have been able to get adjustments and all with no questions, and no extra fees. My TA has also sent me cruise videos, which I am REALLY thankful for.

See my past cruise pics here:

mohavemommy's Cruise Pics

__ /7__/7__/7____

\:::::::::::::::::::/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"THE WORLD'S BEST ISLANDS ARE ONES THAT FLOAT AND MOVE. THEY'RE CALLED CRUISE SHIPS."

Carnival Pride Cruise

18 April 04

I didn't book a cruise through AAA, but I tried to make a car rental, and get travelers checks through them.

Car rental: I'm sorry, you'll have to pay a surcharge to rent in FFL and return at MIA, the best I can do is get you an economy car for $70, without insurance

me:no thanks.

Travelers Checks: If you use a credit card you'll probably have to pay a cash advance fee

can I use it as a debit card to avoid that?

yes.

rather than have me enter my PIN number (which has to happen for a debit card transaction), she gives me a recepit to sign, that says "Credit $200"

it says credit card on this recepit!

it does say that, but that's wrong, I rung it through as a debit card.

The only good thing about AAA is the free maps they give their members.

If your debit card is backed up with a Visa or Mastercard logo then you do not need to enter a pin number. Your credit card company is the one that sets the standards as far as what is considered a normal purchase or a cash advance not AAA.I think that the person you talked with was telling you that as a courtesy most people don't know that.

As far as the car rental what car company was it through? Hertz etc.The car rental co was NOT AAA car rental.That is that particular car companies policy for a surcharge to p/u and drop off in another location not AAA.

Plus the maps are not FREE you pay for them through your membership.

Carol

Legend to Bermuda - 4/23/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;4;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I am aware that AAA doesn't maintain a rental fleet themselves, I was just expecting to get a discounted rate booking through them, and instead I got a rate that was %50 higher than booking through any other rental company.

Never booked thru triple AAA. We use them for travelers checks...fixing flat tires, car problems, maps and trip tickets...etc. The best use for them in Stamford, CT is that you can renew your drivers license at the AAA office. No waiting, no fuss and you are out of there in minutes. I even bought my luggage from them. I love it because it is big...

However, would never use them for cruises. They are way too expensive. We have used Costco for several cruises but through the cruise critic message boards, we have now used cruisequick.com and their prices are unbeatable. Let me also say that so far we have only booked through cruisequick but haven't gotten as far as docs or anything because we don't sail until October. Here's hoping there won't be a problem.

Darlene & Larry

Sensation 4/2001

Victory 12/2001

Spirit 12/10/2002

Zuiderdam 5/7/2003

Legend 12/7/2003

Pride 5/9/2004

Royal Caribbean - Radiance of the Seas - 10/24/04

Celebrity Constellation - 4/9/05

I have to agree with the majority of the posters. I am a tried and true AAA mmember but soley for the purpose of the occasional flat tire (and locking my keys in the car) road service type things. We have tried looking into many types of vacations through AAA, from cruises to land vacations and they could never do as well as we could on our own...and the difference in pricing was not minimal, it was always a lot higher to book through them. Even the Trip-Tix haven't worked for us...we usually find a better route by doing a search on line through expedia or something similar...the directions I have gotten with the trip-tix have created hours more driving time than was necessary on several occasions, so we have totally given up on that as well. BUT AAA is GREAT and totally reliable when I need them for road service.When it comes to booking any vacation, thanks to the internet, no one does better for me than I do for myself.Also, as far as different agents...I have moved twice, thus trying 3 different AAA agencies...all gave horrid prices for vacations.

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

We booked our Carnival Pride trip with AAA. The prices were a bit higher than some discount sites we found. They did have a bottle of champagne in our room for us. They also contacted us with price changes. We booked our next cruises with the cruise lines websites.

Richy

Carnival Glory 8/14/04

RCI Radiance 11/21/04

Our Disney Page!

8a.jpg

We went with AAA, but after the prices dropped on our cruise (last 6 weeks before) I only found one price lower and that was by 10 dollars... no contest...had a local TA...he was not too bright, but he got us exactly what we wanted. If you know what you want, they are great to deal with.

Time till the Carnival Miracle...Weber boarding party: Partae Pirates

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2005;2;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

NCL Dawn: 3/21/04

I find them much more expensive than what I can find on my own for any trip, not just cruises.

We used AAA for our first cruise. I used them because I trusted them, whereas I was not so trustworthy of the .com experience at the time. Soon thereafter, prices dropped and I had to become very pro-active. I did get the refund in the end.

If the trust thing is an issue for you, go with what you're comfortable with. I would look for the best rates online and print off the page(s) and bring it with me to AAA. They will try to match that price I am sure.

As for us, this time we booked with an agency that has a website, but I talked to a live person to book, and everything so far has gone without a hitch. I checked here first for other's experience with this agency and they are located in my state. I am comfortable with that this time.

chantal

Legend, here we come!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;4;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

-Cruisin' the Legend 4/23/04!

-Sensational Sensation 4/15/01

My DH and I booked our cruise last year via AAA.

Didn't know anything about prices dropping or upgrades well just didn't know anything until discovering this site. And believe me we are still in the learning mode.

Anyway booked in January 03 for a 04/29/03 cruise paid in full CAT 8A GTY. About the end of March - first week of April. TA called. Asked if we wanted to upgrade to CAT 8I? One deck below LIDO. She said we might hear noise ie chairs being dragged and set up etc. So I asked about one deck below that. When she called back we were in a CAT 11 icon_biggrin.gif on Empress. I still think we hit gold...even after reading some of these posts were people get credit etc

I have been using AAA for about 7 years for cruises. There are only 2 agents in the office I will work with. They know if they work for me I will keep coming back. I have to agree that the agent, not AAA, makes the difference. Last year on our cruise to Alaska on RCCL there was a problem on the flights caused by RCCL. Our agent not only got it fixed but got us some nice "stuff" from RCCL.

I like have a "real" person htat has to look me in the eye. I let them do all the legwork and get prices. I look online for the deals and see where AAA comes in. Sometimes it is a few dollars more, but not worth the worry about the integrity of an online place. I know there are a lot of good sites, but I don't want to hassle.

Two years ago we got a better price from AAA because we went on a cruise that was a "prefered partner".

Like I said, I think it is the agent, not the agency. But I prefer to be able to look in the eyes of the person taking my money.

we booked our July 3 Miracle cruise thru AAA. I guess b/c the ship is new and we needed 2 assigned balcony cabins next to each other, everywhere I checked, the price was exactly the same. The reason I went with AAA is they were having a "cruise sale"...$100 off per cabin. So that's the only reason I booked with them.

I have to say, the agent I am dealing with hasn't gone out of her way for anything. I called her when Carnival was having the 1 day sale to try and get an adjustment and she pretty much blew me off saying that I had to go thru Carnival. (which I did and ended up with $100 shipboard credit per cabin.)

I would definitely shop around!

Jen

I booked with AAA. When I saw a price drop I called TA. to inquire about a possible credit, TA seemed somewhat baffled, claims she called Carnival, No luck. Anyone with any suggestions?

victory cruise 5-16-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;5;16;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I am a tried and true AAA member and spouse of an ex-employee (husband was employed there until Rochester office closed - now runs a towing company that deals w/AAA). My TA calls me whenever there is a great deal going on. She knows exactly what we want, where we want our cabin and how much we will pay. I wouldn't think of going anywhere else. All of our cruises(6) and vacations have been booked through her and we will follow her where ever she goes. She is one of AAA's premier cruise authorities - she will even tell us where not to go on a cruise.

Guess it's not so much the agency as the Agent.

bonnie

I use AAA for all of my cruises now, because I have a fantastic agent. Having had terrible past experiences with "poor" agents (both online and storefront agencies) on my first 3 cruises, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

On my last cruise, she saved me over $3,500 because she wasn't willing to take no for an answer.

NCL Sunward 1995

Premier (Big Red Boat) 1998

Sovereign of the Seas 2000

Fascination 2001

Carnival Spirit 2002

Carnival Conquest 2003

Fascination 2003

Enchantment of the Seas 2003

It seems that the agent you deal with at AAA is the key. The prices on their website are the same as Carnival's. I am one of the unhappy AAA past bookers. We booked 6 cabins last October on the Legend and only received a thank you post card from our TA. Not so much as a drink coupon after all that business. I should have known better after that. We booked two cabins on the Triumph last month. We had to cancel one after someone became ill. The TA waited 9 days after being notified in writing to cancel. I am now fighting AAA to reimburse the cancellation charge. I will never book with AAA again. I am finding MUCH better rates on the internet for my March 2005 cruise on the Legend. So far the best quote is 16% below Carnival and AAA. My advice is to price shop and then take the best deal that you are comfortable with.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;3;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Beating the Winter Blues on the Legend

Tropicale 9/95

Sensation 9/97

Carnival Destiny 10/00

Fascination 3/02

Imagination 3/03

Carnival Legend 10/03

Carnival Triumph 3/04

Carnival Legend 3/05 (Working on it!)

Rypero,

Hello from Cit Hghts!! We booked our last cruise to Alaska on HAL with Madison Ave AAA. Our TA was experienced and seemed helpful. Sometimes they are hard to get ahold of on short notice as you go thru operator. In addition, two years ago when we did this, they had cut back staff in travel section.

Long story short, they really messed up and if I hadn't been persistent pain in the but, we would have been screw........! We booked in January for Statendam for southbound cruise in late May. Outside, lower deck cabin in middle. Included airfare at about $600 from Sacto at decent time. Paid our deposit and in March paid out balance in full by credit card. Got a AAA receipt showing everyhing paid. Our paper didn't show the cabin we had reserved.

A few weeks later when I was trying to get more data on HAL excursion prices, I went on to their site and couldn't get on because my booking # wasn't any good. I call HAL and found out we had no reservation. I went in to AAA which checked and tried to clarify. They said they spent hours on it and finally got a same catagory cabin much closer to the rear of the ship on same deck. We were not happy after booking early and paying all fares. The problem was that the AAA didn't check for a Fax confirming everything ok right after we paid our funds or even sooner when we booked. It was definitely AAA's fault.

They finally offered to give us a $100 credit on a $3500-4000 total bill with them.

HAL called back about two weeks before our cruise and offered us a deal to take a different cruise at same or better rate with additional upgrade. But since we had schedueled air and hotels for a week before our cruise, we declined. When we finally checked in at HAl, we found out we had our original cabin!! AAA didn't know it and noone told us of switch back. I guess the other people who booked our cabin took the deal.

When we went to Mexico on the Pride with you all, we used Cruises Etc which did not impress us either. So be careful, and keep control with whoever you choose. I am considering the internet for our next cruise. Until later!!!

Archived