Help!! Playa Mia Beach

CaribCruiser714

First of all, my condolences to the family concerned of course, this is a terrible thing to have happened and my thoughts are with them foremost.

I'm absolutely amazed that the beach staff said "no CPR" and that the ambulance had no emergency defibrillator. I can't possibly comment as I wasn't there, but I would like to say that generally good first aid is readily available in Cozumel and the fact Mexico is "third world" (?) doesn't prevent that.

Also, normally if a trained paramedic is on hand they would take control in an emergency situation and if they thought CPR was necessary they would administer it. That's why I'm puzzled as to what happened at Playa Mia but will resist the urge to speculate...!

I recently attended an excellent Emergency First Response course at the hyperbaric chamber here in Cozumel as part of a dive course and I was very impressed with the standard of education. Many tourist attractions have tranied first aiders on hand and any certified divemaster (and many snorkel guides) and instructors are also trained in CPR as standard (although not necessarily in the use of an emergency defibrilliator which can require special training if it is not fully automatic).

Anyhow, my condolences once again, and I agree - good insurance can be very helpful, although this doesn't help with the First Aid the victim receives - therefore encouraging family members to take a First Aid course with you can also be very useful if you have the opportunity.

Ian

The paramedic did begin CPR, however he was not allowed to "take control of the scene". I don't want to give the impression that CPR was not performed, because it was. If there had been and AED available, it may have helped, but then again it may not have made a difference at all. The medics from the ambulance brought a portable cardiac monitor to the beach with them, but did not put it on the patient. They loaded him on a backboard and took off for the ambulance, which was in the parking lot. I had noticed the ambulance in the parking lot when we got there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to decide between Playa Mia and The Reef Club for our day in Cozumel. It will be myself and my husband, plus our three children ages 12, 3, and 18 months. I prefer a pool for the kids, as they don't really like the ocean very much but I can't tell if the Reef club has one or not. Can someone give me some recommendations? Also, does anyone know the cost of the Playa Mia for the all inclusive package (buffet, drinks, etc)?

Thanks!

There are some good comments on the Carnival Board re the Reef club in Cozumel- it's part of a review on the Conquest Thanksgiving cruise- I may try that place myself next time. She provides a link to their website.

I have been to Playa Mia beach and while the beach is OK the pool is very small,and not at all nice. I was disappointed. There was one small area to footwash but the pool was loaded with sand. I would want something a bit more upmarket:)

We have not been to either, but our tablemates last month went to Playa Mia and loved it. However, they were looking for a "party beach" (for the adults) with lots of things for a teenager to do.

I have heard wonderful things about the Reef Club. They do have a fresh water pool. I believe they also have a "kids club" but I am not certain for what ages.

Have a great cruise!

The entrance packages available at the gate of the park are as follows:

- BASIC $ 12.00 USD (tax included)

- FIESTA $ 35.00 USD (tax included)

- PREMIUM $ 42.00 USD (tax included)

Prices are for adults and children. Children age 2 and under enter free.

The differences between the packages are listed below:

Basic package: Entrance to park, sun chair, all non-motorized water sports and park facilities.

Fiesta package: Basic + unlimited domestic open bar (draft beer, bottled water, soft drinks, Margaritas, Rum Punch, Piña Coladas, Daiquiris in assorted flavors, Rum, Tequila, Vodka, Brandy, Mezcal, fruit juices and coffee.)

Premium package: Fiesta + International buffet, towel & snorkel equipment (mask,fins & snorkel)

These prices were sent to me on 9/28/2006

Thanks for the replies. I think we will go with the Reef Club. The price is $40 for adults and $20 for ages 4-12 (or maybe 17 I can't remember), so it will only cost us $100 total for the day since my two youngest will be free and my oldest is still 12. Playa Mia has a really great looking website, but if it's going to be crowded, I'd rather not go.

I am wondering since the beaches are next to each other. We could do either one. We are going there in April. What is the cost of pb and playa mia. we probley would want to do the food and drink we would be there a long time. We would be two adults and two kids ages 5 and 7 years old.

Some one told me that the taxi was about $5.00 each way does anyone know? We are going to be on the Costa magica ship. Thank you:cool:

I am wondering since the beaches are next to each other. We could do either one. We are going there in April. What is the cost of pb and playa mia. we probley would want to do the food and drink we would be there a long time. We would be two adults and two kids ages 5 and 7 years old.

Some one told me that the taxi was about $5.00 each way does anyone know? We are going to be on the Costa magica ship. Thank you:cool:

They are seperated by about a half a mile, I have never been to playa mia, but they do sell directly to the cruise lines, Paradise beach does not, I'm not one for buffet food but that is what you get at playa mia in the AI package. To get to playa mia via cab my guess is around 15 one way for four people. When on vacation I like the personalized service and that (along with the cost factor) sent us to Paradise Beach, Tom (at PB) is on here alot answering peoples questions and walks around the beach to make sure you enjoy your day at PB. That says alot to me as I have never seen another person from a beach club on here. Regaurdless of what you do have a great trip!!!!

I spent this past Saturday at PB; during the day I strolled down to Play Mia just to take a quick look. My general thoughts:

Beach & water are virtually the same; they are on the same stretch of beach & only a few minutes walk apart. Water toys are essentially the same - kayaks, trampoline, inflatable iceberg for climbing. Only thing at PM that PB does not have is the pool. Others addressed the difference in style of chairs. So essentially the difference in things to do is minimal, unless the pool matters to you. Both have motorized things for a fee (banana boat, parasail, jetski).

Cost would be my determining factor in which to do (but that might just be the beancounter in me). Not sure what the cost is if you just go to PM on your own, but I know they have differing prices. For one price, you come in the door & can use the water toys. For a higher price, you get open bar. For another price, you get the food buffet. PB does things differently. You can go & just hang on the beach, use the chairs & bathroom, for no charge - they just ask that you buy from the bar/restaurant. For $9, you get a wristband that lets you use the water toys.

To help with cost comparison - I think Carnival sold the Playa Mia day, with open bar, for $29. I think it was $42 if you included the buffet. These fees did NOT include transportation; taxi fare is around $15. At PB, a bucket of 5 beers is $14, mixed drinks were around $5 or so (I think, I was just drinking beer). Wife & I split an order of ceviche for lunch, it was $15. You can figure for yourself which is the better deal. If you want a lot of food & plan to drink heavily, the Playa Mia "all you can stuff/chug" deal is probably a little better. If you plan to eat/drink in moderation, PB is certainly a better deal.

For us, PB was perfect. We had my wife & I (both like to drink), my bro/sisinlaws (very light drinkers, maybe 1 apiece all day) and their 3 teenagers (rumor has it that the 16 y/o might have been slipped a drink or two by his aunt, but the 13 & 11 y/os were told "next time"). I'm quite sure that next time we're on the island, PB will again be the place we'll go.

any snorkeling around there??

How much are the little car rentals for a day there?

Also, how has the island recovered? I was there in Feb and things were still pretty beat up, no piers were done then either.

Coming in 2nd week of Jan on Costa.

Thanks for the help

It's funny, my name is Brenda. How was the private class you took? Was it in someone's home? My husband doesn't want to go to a home, but I'm not sure that Playa Mia won't be too commercial and Americanized.

I'd rather go authentic.

Thanks, Brenda

We had a great time. There is a buffet set up there, but after we finished cooking and ate our meal I wasn't even the least bit interested in the bufffet. There were about 24 in our group both from the Carnival ship and Princess. It was such a great experience with everyone, the entire group really enjoyed it. Our chef, his assistant and the beverage server did a fantastic job. I would do this one again, it had to be the most fun I had ever had on an excursion.

Yes, it's in a home. If it's a large group she has made arrangements with a friend with a much larger home to use her kitchen. It is VERY authentic. The trip there is off the beaten path and the walk to the market and the market itself are totally non-commercial, very much the real Cozumel.

If you think this will make your husband uncomfortable I'd go with the ship's one. I haven't heard anything bad about it and I researched for a looooong time before our cruise. I wouldn't hesitate to do it on another cruise.

HTH!

They are seperated by about a half a mile, I have never been to playa mia, but they do sell directly to the cruise lines, Paradise beach does not, I'm not one for buffet food but that is what you get at playa mia in the AI package. To get to playa mia via cab my guess is around 15 one way for four people. When on vacation I like the personalized service and that (along with the cost factor) sent us to Paradise Beach, Tom (at PB) is on here alot answering peoples questions and walks around the beach to make sure you enjoy your day at PB. That says alot to me as I have never seen another person from a beach club on here. Regaurdless of what you do have a great trip!!!!

Ken, the Playa Uvas owner is on here too....seems nice, and the beach club looks great..it seems to be slightly closer to the piers/town but I am not sure

I am also looking at another "all inclusive' thru a marketing group, at the Reef club and that looks nice

I personally have zero interest in "iceberg" climbing and motorized watersports and think that either of these other options may be more 'adult friendly". Paradise Beach seems like it really gets crowded, lines and lines of chairs, wheras the owner of Playa Uvas only takes a smaller number of people. Uvas has a pool and of course the Reef has pool and jacuzzi etc

Both Uvas and Reef have massages at a reasonable rate, Reef has an actual spa with facials, body scrubs at much less than price of ship (I emailed them, as an esthetician I can say that the ship prices are really over the top most of the time, unless you get a special, that is for ALL cruiselines that I have seen JMO)

Of course if you have a bunch of kids the icebergs and water toys would be great....there seem to be a lot of good options in Cozumel now that it is recovering from the Hurricaine

Ken, the Playa Uvas owner is on here too....seems nice, and the beach club looks great..it seems to be slightly closer to the piers/town but I am not sure

Its is much closer to town. Sorry if they do post I wouldnt know them. Cozumel is a great place as it has many different things for people that would like an alternative, as some are price consious and some are not, some would like a nice quiet beach some have children, my post was to inform based on our trip, and only that.

We did the Cuisine Workshop in November and had a BLAST!!! Luis, the chef, runs a top-notch operation. It's set up under the big tent on the beach. They are VERY careful about cleanliness, and the instruction was great. They kept filling my husband's margarita glass as we cooked (the other 3 of us switched to water after a couple). I have hilarious pictures of his plate decorating with the sauces. The recipes were fabulous, and the food turned out great. Loved being served what we had cooked. Next time we go through Cozumel we're going to do this again. I wouldn't plan on any beach time while there though. We only had about 15 min to stick our toes in the water.... the whole excursion was filled up with the workshop thing. OK with us though... we had caught beaches on Cayman before we got there.

I'd do this excursion again in a heartbeat.

Marsha

This is the website that we found Josefina on initially:

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCruisesTours.htm

The site is run by an American couple that lives in Cozumel full time. Carey Sutton, the site owner, is an awesome lady. Any questions about Coz or private excursions I'm sure she'd be happy to answer.

Here's the direct link to the cooking class info:

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCookingClasses.html

We spent last Tuesday on Playa Mia at the Beach Break offered through NCL. The cost was $56 per person and included open bar, buffet, and watersports. We arrived at 10:45 and left at 3:00. we had a GREAT time there. The have lots of activities. We played beach volleyball, conga line, although we were a bit drunk after all the free drinks. The water was gorgeous but a bit chilly. The buffet was pretty good, not great but okay. You can get in paddleboats or a kayak and ride out near the trampoline and iceberg. A friend tried climbing the iceberg but it was nearly impossible. Our transportation was included but we heard you could get a cab back to Cozumel for $15. Overall, it was one of the best spots in Cozumel.

Archived