Seward: Resurrection Bay or Kenai Fords??

FaithPlus1

Doing the NB route that ends in Seward. My plan after one of these excursions is to take the 6PM train to the airport for a flight that leaves after midnight. 

I want to do both Resurrection Bay and the Kenai Fords cruise, but obviously only have time for 1. 

Have any of you done both? Which did you prefer and why? What did you see on each?

Thanks

A Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise also goes through Resurrection Bay, but a Resurrection Bay cruise does not go into Kenai Fjords National Park and you won't see a tidewater glacier in Resurrection Bay. Definitely recommend a full day Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise with Major Marine Tours.

• Like 1

I definitely agree with doing a Kenai Fjords National Park cruise with Major Marine Tours.  We just returned from our trip there last week and did the longest tour they offer, the 8.5 hour Northwestern Fjord cruise where you view 3 tidewater glaciers.  The scenery throughout the cruise was amazing, including wildlife sightings.

Kenai 1.jpg

Kenai 2.jpg

Kenai 3.jpg

Kenai 4.jpg

Kenai 5.jpg

Kenai 6.jpg

• Like 3

Great photos there SeahawkSiren! Thanks for sharing. I wish so badly that we would have had the time for the longest tours out of Seward. As it was we were able to make the 4 hour Orca Watch tour on the only poor weather day we had on our 16 days in Alaska. Saw a few Orca but not under the best conditions or very close. Follow the advice of other cc folks...  take the longest you can fit in.

XFSOANb.jpg

2pr8xC5.jpg

jmmjHeU.jpg

• Like 1

I've done the Bay Tour twice and the Kenai Fjords Tour twice. 

(I didn't choose the Bay Tour either time ..... we had signed up for a Kenai cruise but due to bad weather after the boat had been out for 15-20 minutes the capt said he couldn't do  the full Kenai tour due to rough seas).

The Bay tour is essentially the first part of the Kenai cruise.  So on all 4 trips we saw mountain goats, lots of sea birds, sea lions, otters, eagles, eagles nest plus the rocky forested coastline.  Seeing the mountail goats was cool but everything else was kind of old news so I found the Bay tour to be rather boring. 

The Kenai cruise was fantastic.  We saw a few whales but the highlight was spending time at the glacier.  Seeing the glacier up close and personal is an awesome experience.   The capt shut off the engines so we just sat there quietly listening to the glacier creak, groan and crack, then finally calve.  Awesome !  

I wouldn't choose to do the Bay tour again, but on a clear day i'd gladly do a Kenai cruise. 

Glad to hear this feedback on this cruise and amount of wildlife and time at Ice bergs.  thanks everyone for sharing info.  I booked with Kenai Fjords tour via HAL excursion it is 6.25  hours tour Sept 15th. Price booking via cruise line vs direct was approx. $45 more for 2 people then direct with tour company .  However since we are on B2B, I wanted to be sure we had no trouble getting off and out on cruise tour while everyone else is disembarking the Westerdam.  It also includes transfer to and from Cruise Port, seen someplace transfer is available separate for $5 each.     

I forgot to mention when I posted the photos that I made my reservation during a Major Marine Tours 40% off sale on Cyber Monday 2018.  So for those of you doing these cruises next year you may want to wait and see if they offer that sale again in November.

On 7/21/2019 at 11:34 AM, Cruise-PC said:

Glad to hear this feedback on this cruise and amount of wildlife and time at Ice bergs.  thanks everyone for sharing info.  I booked with Kenai Fjords tour via HAL excursion it is 6.25  hours tour Sept 15th. Price booking via cruise line vs direct was approx. $45 more for 2 people then direct with tour company .  However since we are on B2B, I wanted to be sure we had no trouble getting off and out on cruise tour while everyone else is disembarking the Westerdam.  It also includes transfer to and from Cruise Port, seen someplace transfer is available separate for $5 each.     

I submit a Shore Excursion best Price guarantee request to HAL and they approved the request and have given me an on-board credit for the difference at 110%.  So they really do honour promising best price.