Zoo in Sydney

GloriaF

I'm reading about Taronga Zoo and Wellington Zoo -- are both in Sydney?  We're hoping to see native animals - kangaroos, koalas, etc - so if both are in Sydney, which would be best for two adults?  I read about taking the ferry to Taronga, riding the gondola up and walking back through the zoo to the ferry.  Is this the best plan?  All advice welcomed! 

Taronga Zoo is in Sydney, but Wellington Zoo is in Wellington, New Zealand. 

Taronga Zoo is an excellent zoo with amazing views across the harbor to the city.  It has animals from all parts of the world, but there is a large area with native Australian animals. 

Your plan is the way to go at Taronga—take the ferry from Circular Quay to the Zoo; take the gondola to the top and walk back down to the dock.  

1 minute ago, GradUT said:

Taronga Zoo is an excellent zoo with amazing views across the harbor to the city.  It has animals from all parts of the world, but there is a large area with native Australian animals. 

Your plan is the way to go at Taronga—take the ferry from Circular Quay to the Zoo; take the gondola to the top and walk back down to the dock.  

Thank you!

3 hours ago, GradUT said:

Spot on advice especially re gondola up walk down

On 7/24/2019 at 12:22 AM, dillpickle48 said:

Worth your while to check out Taronga Zoo Behind the scene offer.

Is the behind the scene offer available at the zoo ticket office on the day we visit, or are advance reservations required?  

On 7/24/2019 at 9:36 AM, WAVTAM said:

But a Sydney City pass for big discount.

Thanks for the advice!  We plan to spend a few days in Sydney, so this will be helpful.  Can we purchase online before we leave home, or how would we obtain a city pass?

A BIG thank you for any and all advice!!

Thanks for the advice!  We plan to spend a few days in Sydney, so this will be helpful.  Can we purchase online before we leave home, or how would we obtain a city pass?

Buy on line. You will get paper voucher thru email. Copy that and then when in city all the tours vendors are located under the Circular Quay station. Turn in voucher and you will get actual card for entrance.

10 minutes ago, sippican said:

I cannot seem to find a link to purchase that. Can you help? 

They may not specifically call it the " Behind the Scenes Tour'. I found this on Viator https://www.viator.com/tours/Sydney/Sydney-Taronga-Zoos-Australian-Animals-Tour-and-Sky-Safari/d357-2055VIP  which describes the 1.5 hour tour as in depth with a guide behind the scenes and includes all day pass and sky safari cable car ticket etc. Or on the Taronga website there are a few special tours/options available. https://taronga.org.au/sydney-zoo/whats-on#specialexperiences  including this VIP Aussie Gold https://taronga.org.au/sydney-zoo/tours/vip-aussie-gold that looks to be similar in description and cost to the one on Viator. 

2 hours ago, banditoo said:

They may not specifically call it the " Behind the Scenes Tour'. I found this on Viator https://www.viator.com/tours/Sydney/Sydney-Taronga-Zoos-Australian-Animals-Tour-and-Sky-Safari/d357-2055VIP  which describes the 1.5 hour tour as in depth with a guide behind the scenes and includes all day pass and sky safari cable car ticket etc. Or on the Taronga website there are a few special tours/options available. https://taronga.org.au/sydney-zoo/whats-on#specialexperiences  including this VIP Aussie Gold https://taronga.org.au/sydney-zoo/tours/vip-aussie-gold that looks to be similar in description and cost to the one on Viator. 

Thank you!

I must have been blind to have missed that. 

9 hours ago, sippican said:

Thank you!

I must have been blind to have missed that. 

It wasn't actually easy to find on the Zoo website. It took a bit of hunting and clicking back and forth. Easier to find on Viator. 

I just checked with Taronga Zoo, ready to purchase tickets for the Behind the Scenes tour ($89-90 US/pp) for the first week in April and it said "SOLD OUT".  Do you think they just haven't opened booking for April 2020 yet or what is going on?  Really wanted to do the behind the scenes tour!!

Thanks for the link.  I will look at all the tours on the page.  I also tried to book a Blue Mountain tour with same results -- thought maybe because it was more than six months out for my booking.  Maybe August 1 is the magic date.