Stateroom Below Buffet QM2 - Noisy?

bbstx

We are looking at sailing from NYC to Southampton next summer.  I prefer a stateroom located mid-ships, mid-level.  On the 2 crossings that we are looking at in June, our travel agent tells me that the staterooms available that meet my criteria have the Kings Buffet overhead.  How bad will that be?  FWIW, we are relatively early risers and usually in bed by 11-ish.  

Our other choice is on deck 11.  I’m concerned about being too high and feeling too much movement.  We are relatively new to cruising.  The Cunard TA will be our 5th cruise.  I’ve never before suffered from motion sickness, but I don’t want to get into the middle of the Atlantic and discover that I’ve chosen poorly.

If you are worried about the higher decks, try for a cabin on deck 5. This should suit your requirements, having cabins above and below. However, we once had a deck 6 sheltered balcony cabin midships and never bothered by any noise. If you have an inside berth, that might he a little different as directly under the buffet area.

For what it's worth, we barely felt the ship move on two transatlantics in June of this year. Deck 11 can be more prone to vibration than rocking in my experience.

If you're in a balcony stateroom, being under King's Court would not be as had as being in an interior stateroom, where you might hear more noise from the galley spaces serving King's Court. In a balcony you might hear deck chairs and the like on the open promenade above, but that would be more of an issue if you tended to sleep in. Passengers are requested not to jog on the promenade before 8 AM.

Balcony on 6, no problems with noise, especially if you are an early riser as even the remote chance of hearing early morning walkers or joggers on the promenade deck above will be after you are awake. 

Inside, this may depend on where you are, probably useful if your agent would be find enough to provide available stateroom numbers and people may be able to offer specific advice. 

Ocean view, I don't recall any of them being near the buffet as they are more far forward than that. 

As for deck 11, whilst I have never had a stateroom that high up, the QM2 moves differently through the water and swells, and if you have only experiences cruise ships before, you will not a difference in how QM2 handles the seas, and doubt deck 11 will cause any issues with that sort of movement. 

we have never had an issue with kings court noise on deck 6 .......noise imho on deck 6 is luck of the draw .....once we had some type of machine that would cycle on and off,floor vibrations,inside crew stairway jumping and childrens zone [not all on one trip. NONE of these disturbed our sleep  

I'm fortunate in that I use a white noise machine for sleeping. In my experience, even on a low setting, it drowns out all other noise, but isn't heard by those in adjacent rooms. I used to lug it around when travelling, but now I simply use a free white noise app on my smartphone. It works just as well.

The only downside is that I'm no longer woken up by thunder and lightning storms, which I thoroughly enjoy.