best Denali excursions

lv2teach

Better to do your own land portion . There is a mini bus service out of Anchorage that is excellent & has a tour of the Alaska  animals . Hust google nini bus service for Seward pick up  .Rent a car at the airport as this min bus will drop you off at the airport or hotel .

With a rental car book the Denali Lakeview lodge mAAA triple diamond B&B  .A great place to stay & over looks Lake Otto . The management there can be very helpful 

You are only 15 minutes from Denali National Park .book your own tour directly withy the park . If you have the 62 & over senior pass they will refund you the entry at the park 

Best way to see the interior of Alaska is on your own but it takes effort to research .you will also definitely save money 

I would offer a cautionary note on the "white water" rafting tour. I don't know if it is still being offered, but it should be called "ice water rafting".  I knew I was in trouble when we were outfitted in cold water survival gear. It was the single most "white water" event I have ever done, but it was also very dangerous at points. Much more so then expected. The boots of the suits leaked and our feet were pretty numb by the time we got out. Enough so we had difficulty walking.

I did this in 1992, so it may have been discontinued. But if rafting appeals to you be aware of the real dangers involved with this one.

18 hours ago, lv2teach said:

best way to see Denali in a short time period. half a day. we don't arrive in Denali till 1 pm. we have a 10 hr bus ride the next day to the ship.

how are the ATV excursions? 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. You are going to Denali but don't have sufficient time to do a bus excursion into the Park? The Park is HUGE, and other than flying over it, which you don't want to do, a bus excursion is really the only way to see Denali. You could book one of the Park's green bus trips for the afternoon you arrive, because they have numerous trips that start in the afternoon. Remember, it gets dark later in Alaska, so the bus trips can begin and end later in the evening. However, with that daunting 10-hour bus ride to the ship the following day, I don't think you'll want to do that. If I were you, I"d be re-thinking the flight tour. Denali National Park is stunning.

• Like 1