Over the counter sea sickness tablets

Stemetil is an anti-emetic so it would work in that situation where the movement that cause the seasickness had ceased. I don't like it for seasickness in a situation that is on-going because the Stemetil stops the throwing up but leaves the person still feeling very ill.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Stemetil is an anti-emetic so it would work in that situation where the movement that cause the seasickness had ceased. I don't like it for seasickness in a situation that is on-going because the Stemetil stops the throwing up but leaves the person still feeling very ill.

In your case that happened but in our case all symptoms of seasickness go away very quickly after taking the Stemetil. We've been on a couple of cruises where we've encountered rough seas, taken the Stemetil, and been 100% fine from then on. 

Of course not everyone reacts the same way to each medication. I can't take some cold and flu meds as they make me very nauseous. 

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

In your case that happened but in our case all symptoms of seasickness go away very quickly after taking the Stemetil. We've been on a couple of cruises where we've encountered rough seas, taken the Stemetil, and been 100% fine from then on. 

Of course not everyone reacts the same way to each medication. I can't take some cold and flu meds as they make me very nauseous. 

Stemetil makes me feel worse not better! Interesting how medications react with different people.

Leigh

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

A friend who posts on this forum often told me that sea sickness is 'mind over matter' but I  can assure you that it not always so. With me, I am convinced that it relates to the inner ear. I can easily feel queezy on winding roads, and dare not sit in the back seat of a car on such trips. Many years ago, conflicting movement on a catamaran trip to the outer Barrier Reef caused me intense seasickness for hours.

You mention about it being too late to take medication when you are already sick. I thought that too, but found it wasn't so. The first time I tried Avomine was on a cruise ship. I can't remember which ship, there have been so many! We had 10 metres seas and I had taken Travelcalm (the proper one, not the herbal one). I was very sick and staggered to the medical centre for an injection. The nurse said she would only give it to me if I had taken Avomine and was still sick. I bought the medication and took it - managed to keep it down by lying down. Half an hour later, I was well enough to get up and that was the end of the throwing up.

On my Antarctic trip we had 7 metre seas coming back across the Drake Channel. Being on a fairly small ship (12,000 tons from memory), the movement was extreme. I took my Avomine and felt fine. I was literally thrown out of bed during the night as I moved to catch my clock that was going to go flying. I skidded right across the room on the carpet.There were very few people in the dining room for breakfast. If the chairs hadn't been chained to the floor, they and the people in them would have gone over. The people who were there had to keep grabbing glasses and whatever else was on the table even though the tables were covered with the anti-slip sheets used in caravans.

Glad I wasn't on your Antarctica cruise.  We only had rough seas between South Georgia Island and Antarctica, but some passengers wore patches the whole cruise (23 days).

Had an experience of really rough seas across the Ocean from NYC to Rotterdam - one where the furniture slid from side to side, including piano, and you had to hold on to a rope to cross the lift wells.  Didn't fall out of bed though!  We did once when we hit Bass Strait on the ferry.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Agree different medications affect people in different ways.  I can't take Cold and Flu meds because they make my heart race, which is why I am very careful with medications.