Time required for customs in Tronto

Bee Guy

Would you not pre-clear in the US at the airport from which the Toronto-bound flight takes off?  If the flight is early enough in the day, they pre-clear travelers flying from Vancouver to the US, does it not work this way at other airports or in the other direction?

21 minutes ago, hallux said:

Would you not pre-clear in the US at the airport from which the Toronto-bound flight takes off?  If the flight is early enough in the day, they pre-clear travelers flying from Vancouver to the US, does it not work this way at other airports or in the other direction?

Have not heard of pre-clearance going to Canada, only going from Canada to the US.

No preclearance - Canada has the legal right to perform Preclearance in the US, it's a fully reciprocal piece of dual legislation, but we don't bother as instead we just staff our own airports with enough CBSA to handle incoming international flights... assuming that it's Toronto Pearson (YYZ) the queues can get long at peak times, as it's the busiest airport in Canada especially for flights from the US with many connections to elsewhere.

Maybe I'm misreading the post but it sounds like you already booked your flight OP? Otherwise you could have potential routing options via at least Montreal and several US airports that would get you to Vancouver from Maine... so you may already know how long your layover is. If you haven't booked yet I'd actually recommend looking at a Domestic US connectin flight instead to avoid any delay from immigration & customs until you actually hit Vancouver. If you do find that price/timing works best via YYZ for you, I'd recommend at least 90mins to transfer for anyone without NEXUS - two hours if you're a nervous traveler.

Pearson's website is actually very useful - if you plug in your flight details (airline, origin & destination) on their connections page they'll confirm things like whether you need to reclaim bags or not; not having to wait for your bags will definitely shave a chunk of time off the required time for example...

Edited by martincath

45 minutes ago, Michelle c said:

I am in the same situation. We are flying from US to Vancouver with a stop in Toronto. Do we go through customs in Toronto or Vancouver? Just trying to be clear on what to expect.

You go through customs at your first port of entry.  In your case Toronto.  Your Toronto to Vancouver flight is a Canadian domestic flight so there would be no need for customs after it.

1 hour ago, Michelle c said:

I am in the same situation. We are flying from US to Vancouver with a stop in Toronto. Do we go through customs in Toronto or Vancouver? Just trying to be clear on what to expect.

Post #2 in this thread. Immigration and Customs in Toronto. Two steps.