Tendering Question

Afterward

For those of you who have tendered from the Marina or Riviera before, can you describe how one gets on and off the lifeboat tender?  Reason for question is I broke my foot and am getting around on crutches and a knee scooter. Our upcoming trip on the Marina has a tender stop at Visby and I am trying to get an idea of what to expect so as to rearrange our plans efficiently.  Specifically, are there many steps down and back up getting on and off the boat? I inquired with Oceania but they didn't have the information I needed, other than to say that the lifeboats are used as tenders and wheelchairs can't be accommodated, which is irrelevant for me because I'm not in a wheelchair, just a bit hobbled.

Thanks!

Beth Pirkle

I believe the O class ship have an elevator down to the tender deck  but then you would still have the problem of hobbling on a moving platform to a moving tender

The crew do try to help people on/off the tenders

You may have to wait & see  once onboard  if they can accommodate you

22 minutes ago, Afterward said:

For those of you who have tendered from the Marina or Riviera before, can you describe how one gets on and off the lifeboat tender?  Reason for question is I broke my foot and am getting around on crutches and a knee scooter. Our upcoming trip on the Marina has a tender stop at Visby and I am trying to get an idea of what to expect so as to rearrange our plans efficiently.  Specifically, are there many steps down and back up getting on and off the boat? I inquired with Oceania but they didn't have the information I needed, other than to say that the lifeboats are used as tenders and wheelchairs can't be accommodated, which is irrelevant for me because I'm not in a wheelchair, just a bit hobbled.

Thanks!

Beth Pirkle

Can you put *any* weight on your foot for a short time?

If you can "hobble" a very short distance, or down one or two steps, it might work.

There are crew to assist, and I found them very helpful, and saw them helping a few extremely unsteady on and off.  But I didn't see anyone who could not "hobble" at least a bit.  But that does not mean it wouldn't be possible.

It also might matter how calm - or not - the water is.  The rougher the water, the more difficult it is for *anyone* to get on/off the tender, but there might be a point at which the crew might be unwilling/unable to help someone whom they may have helped if the water were calmer.

(And there's always the potential problem of what if the water is much less calm on the return...)

Can you wait to make your plans for that port until you speak with those aboard who take care of this, and also  you perhaps get a better view of how it works?

GC

In March on Riviera we tendered in Roatan.  Although there are several steep steps down into the lifeboat and a swaying platform, there were lots of crew members assisting.  One of the passengers was actually carried by crew members into a seat with other passengers helping along the way.  Those lifeboats are not too comfortable but everyone managed to make it ashore.  I have found on Oceania that the crew will go to any lengths to assist passengers.  I think you should hope for very calm seas but be aware that safety comes first.  Good luck!

Great, thanks.  This really helps. We had no reservations for excursions on Visby and I was debating about whether or not to try to book a driving excursion in advance given my slower mobility. But I think we will just play it by ear and see what's available via Uber or whatnot on the day we arrive, assuming I can make it to shore.

Beth

1 hour ago, Afterward said:

Great, thanks.  This really helps. We had no reservations for excursions on Visby and I was debating about whether or not to try to book a driving excursion in advance given my slower mobility. But I think we will just play it by ear and see what's available via Uber or whatnot on the day we arrive, assuming I can make it to shore.

Beth

x_083631.jpg

This is the Tender Platform on the O class ships, but they are accessed by a full external flight of stairs

x_083604.jpg

Those steps have a very easy rise, but it is still a full flight.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On our July visit to Visby a few weeks ago on the Marina we docked even though it was listed in our Blue Book as an anchor/tender port (just went back and checked).

There is a small pier there capable of handling two cruise ships.

According to this listing: http://crew-center.com/visby-sweden-cruise-ship-schedule-2019

Marina will be the only cruise ship in port on the days of its two remaining visits this season( 19 August and 11 September).

So I suspect you will be docked rather than tendering in Visby. (Not a guarantee - just an informed guess!)

There was a shuttle provided from the dock to the walled town (it was such a short distance we walked though). If you just plan to see the walled town, I wouldn't bother with a tour. It is pretty easy to walk/hobble around (and all the tours looked like walking/dawdling tours anyway). Some nice churches, markets etc.

There might be more to see further from Visby on Gotland, but I guess I'll never know.

Edited by Beagle5
  • Like 1

Oh, wow, Beagle5, that is really great information! It's been hard to track down info about Visby.  We really want to visit some of the stone burial ship sites, and you have given me hope we will be able to do so after all. Thanks!