Sign & Sail Questions

Snicket

I'm not following. I think you are confusing cash vs CC

3 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

What you are quoting is the suggested cash deposit.

What is a cash deposit? No one said it was a "charge" it's a hold against your CC. 

1 hour ago, silversneakers said:

What you are quoting is the suggested cash deposit.  The credit card amount is a "hold" and not an actual charge and it is absolutely true that it is only a $10 hold (not a charge)  when you place your credit card on your account when you check in at the terminal.  I think you are confusing the cash vs credit card.

Nope.  It's an authorization hold on your card.  And it's $100 or $200.  Not $10.  That's what they publish, and that's what they do.

On 9/3/2019 at 7:33 AM, ray98 said:

....but why does it matter.  It isn't costing you anything other than a temporary reduction in limit.  It is all a numbers game until it actually posts.

Some hotels have told me they hold as much as the cost of the room per day, so if your talking about even a $100 room for 2-7 days... you can do the math. These kinds of hotels I refuse to stay at and will book elsewhere. I call before hand to find out. With cruising I've gotten many different responses even from the fine folks at Carnival, that's not a risk I'm willing to take when I can get around it. Its more convenient for me to know exactly where every dollar is and make a trip to guest services as needed than to give them a wad of money and wait to see when they decide to give it back. 

On 9/3/2019 at 10:36 AM, coevan said:

The only time it would have any impact is if they had an extremely low line of credit

And this is true for many travelers. Many travel on a budget and having potentially hundreds of dollars that you haven't spent out of your account or held on a CC for days or worse weeks can be extremely frustrating. 

I travel within my means and take comfort in knowing where and to what every dollar is going towards. Many others are the same which is why these questions come up. We pre pay as much as possible and plan for the rest. Carnival and others don't need to hold onto my money, I can handle that. :)

6 hours ago, geoffrywillhardt said:

Some hotels have told me they hold as much as the cost of the room per day, so if your talking about even a $100 room for 2-7 days... you can do the math. These kinds of hotels I refuse to stay at and will book elsewhere. I call before hand to find out. With cruising I've gotten many different responses even from the fine folks at Carnival, that's not a risk I'm willing to take when I can get around it. Its more convenient for me to know exactly where every dollar is and make a trip to guest services as needed than to give them a wad of money and wait to see when they decide to give it back. 

And this is true for many travelers. Many travel on a budget and having potentially hundreds of dollars that you haven't spent out of your account or held on a CC for days or worse weeks can be extremely frustrating. 

So?.....it is still just a temporary reduction in CC limit at best.  If you are using a debit card for these type transactions at least you know where the problem starts.

Edited by ray98

On 9/4/2019 at 1:28 PM, Bookworm1985 said:

Not every has huge limits on their cards. It can cause valid purchases to be declined.

I don't have 'huge limits' but I maintain enough I can travel without worrying about trivial things.  

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

So?.....it is still just a temporary reduction in CC limit at best.  If you are using a debit card for these type transactions at least you know where the problem starts.

As I said, traveling on a budget this can be frustrating and I was merely commenting on how I get around these so others traveling on budgets can have more information. If you find it a trivial thing that's great, and I'm glad it's not something you worry about.