Daniels Head

xyzcruiser

Am arriving late to Bermuda (1pm arrival, off the ship by 1:30?) Want to snorkel but am worried because the transportation seems limited after 5:30pm.  Was thinking Daniels Head or Church Bay.  The late arrival makes taking the ferry to Tobacco Bay undoable. The online info on Daniels Head  seems outdated. How to get there and more importantly, back? Church Bay seems like #7 bus, is it hard to catch after 5pm? Also,opinions on snorkeling quality on each (I am an experienced snorkeler and have my own equipment)? I understand Church Bay can sometimes be rough, will have to play that by ear on the day. Thanks for your help, Shirl

• Like 1

It is helpful to indicate what day of the week and what month. Church Bay will be better snorkeling if it is not too rough. For either Church Bay or Daniels Head I recommend taking a taxi so you have the most time. You should be off by 1:30. I would leave no later than 4:30 or 5:00. That is more than enough time for either in my opinion. Not likely there will be taxis at either to return unless you arrange a time, so you can ask the driver to return. As backup you can take the #7 bus back. If it is a weekday should be no problem taking a bus back. At Daniels Head there are a couple of business who you could ask to call a taxi if the are open. If your cruise is late in the season they might not be. Church Bay might have a vendor too. You have to be prepared to be wait if you want to return by taxi. 

• Thanks 1

Next week, Monday Sept 2.   Also, forgot to mention I was traveling solo- sometimes I have had problems getting a taxi to take me places because they are only getting one fare- that's why I mentioned the bus.  If you make arrangements for a taxi back, is that reliable  ? Thanks, Shirl

Monday September 2 is Labour Day. A public holiday in Bermuda. Taxis will have a surcharge of 25% on holidays. The buses will run but on a reduced holiday schedule. Traveling solo does not matter in Bermuda as the taxi fare is metered per taxi. It is not per person. Reliability for coming back is mixed. They probably will come back but some don’t. Personally I would not snorkel solo at Church Bay and probably not at Daniels Head. I would suggest a private snorkel excursion or a ships snorkel excursion. Then you would be with others and transportation provided. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Theres an app called Hitch that you can use to call a taxi much like you would an Uber at home. If you are worried about getting picked up this is a great backup plan. 

Last week in Bermuda I heard this app has a nickname “Glitch”. It is not known for reliability. 

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 8:15 PM, princeton123211 said:

In St George on Insignia right now-- working like a charm so far. 

Is there a longer name for this app?  I just tried to find it on the app store and got about 20 hits.

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

If you search for Hitch Bermuda it should come up. 

It is Hitch Bermuda in the Apple App Store. 

People should be be aware that they are calling a metered taxi, it is a taxi dispatch app, not a ride share app like Uber, and the fare has an extra 15% surcharge over the regulated metered fare that would normally be charged without using the app. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1