NON REFUNDABLE FARES

mcrcruiser

A New Tool in the Tool Box for cruise lines is using promotions  ,like  ppd gratuities , on board credits & up graded cabin in the same class of cabin for free . Princess is running a 3 for free promotion but ,the deposit is non refundable . As this catches on you will see more of these promotions connected to non refundable fares . 

We will only take refundable deposit cruises . If it is a promotion with non refundable deposits & we want to take that cruise we will only book it close in to the actual sailing date  .We will also only book cruises that we can drive to the 2 local ports .We do not fly any longer to take a cruise .That was in our past 84 cruises . now older it is a hassle & stressful to fly 

How do you personally feel about non refunded deposit cruises along with those promotions of supposedly free  goodies ?

Basically the same.  I love the perks but I’m not booking a non refundable cruise unless we are within a certain time frame. I did go to a non refundable fare recently because we were within 10 days of final payment. My PCC allowed us to refare with perks which was nice.  We did take the platinum insurance(which had to be paid immediately)  as we have elderly parents - (91& 94) .  Have 5 cruises booked currently and only the one is non refundable. 😊

We have a cruise booked on Princess and I called them to book it with a refundable deposit.  There was not an option to do that when booking online.  It increased our $20,000 booking by only a few hundred dollars.  Very worth it to us.  Life happens...

I'd encourage anyone to call the cruise lines to explore other booking options.

There has thus far been only one time when we could not avoid a non-refundable deposit for a cruise, and that was with Hurtigruten.

They have a hefty deposit, something like 20%, but when we did this (it has since changed!), although you had to fork over the large deposit (we travel in suites), prior to penalty dates, you could get it all back less something like $350.  Okay.

But shortly thereafter, they changed it so the entire deposit is non-refundable.  That could be a lot of money, especially for longer cruises or Antarctic, which are expensive no matter what.

IF we need to do this again, we've figured it this way:  We usually get 3rd party insurance including CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) insurance, and that will give 75% cash back for *any* reason (100% of course, for covered reason).

So we'll figure that we'll be out "only" '25% of the deposit, plus, of course, the insurance (but only on the amount of the deposit).

Once final payment time comes, then it would be like any other cruise.

GC