Glacier Temps

stevendom57

In 5 days I will be taking a helicopter tour that lands on a glacier near Juneau, AK that allows us to walk around on the glacier. I know I should dress in layers (I really do read other posts before posting). But what temperature should I expect it to be while standing on the glacier? My gut feel says that it should be pretty close to 32 degrees, since I will be pretty close to a LOT of frozen water. But I just called the helicopter company and they said it should be around 50 degrees. 

OK, cruisers. What is your opinion?

Thanks

Steven

1 hour ago, stevendom57 said:

In 5 days I will be taking a helicopter tour that lands on a glacier near Juneau, AK that allows us to walk around on the glacier. I know I should dress in layers (I really do read other posts before posting). But what temperature should I expect it to be while standing on the glacier? My gut feel says that it should be pretty close to 32 degrees, since I will be pretty close to a LOT of frozen water. But I just called the helicopter company and they said it should be around 50 degrees. 

Thanks

Steven

We were on Herbert Glacier with Coastal Helicopters a couple of weeks ago.  It wasn't so much the air temperature, but the strong wind that made it feel cold.  Honestly it was such an exhilarating experience we hardly noticed the cold.  Whatever layers you pack wear them for glacier day.

We loved everything about our Alaska cruise and land trip, but the glacier landing stands out as the best of a great trip.  Don't forget to bring an empty water bottle to fill with glacier melt water.

Also even tennies are fine for footwear. They give you a pair of spiked boots that fit over your shoes. That part couldn't have been easier. 

Edited by przyk

16 hours ago, przyk said:

We were on Herbert Glacier with Coastal Helicopters a couple of weeks ago.  It wasn't so much the air temperature, but the strong wind that made it feel cold.  Honestly it was such an exhilarating experience we hardly noticed the cold.  Whatever layers you pack wear them for glacier day.

We loved everything about our Alaska cruise and land trip, but the glacier landing stands out as the best of a great trip.  Don't forget to bring an empty water bottle to fill with glacier melt water.

Also even tennies are fine for footwear. They give you a pair of spiked boots that fit over your shoes. That part couldn't have been easier. 

The spikes help, but you still nedd to be VERY careful on the glacier.  While we were there (a number of years ago) one of the guides fell and cracked his head, having to be quickly flown off the glacier.  And he spends the entire day, everyday, on the glacier!

Edited by DaveOKC

45 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

The spikes help, but you still nedd to be VERY careful on the glacier.  While we were there (a number of years ago) one of the guides fell and cracked his head, having to be quickly flown off the glacier.  And he spends the entire day, everyday, on the glacier!

Our pilot told us the worst incident he had in his many years was a small child who was running and fell down and scraped a knee.  Where we landed on Herbert glacier was not as slippery as I would have thought.  The surface is very uneven with rocks and bumpy ice so there is the hazard of falling if you are looking at the amazing sites and not paying attention to where you are walking.  I suppose if it were covered in snow that would be a different thing, more slippery with hidden objects under the snow.

When we did ours on Mendenhall I don't remember it being totally freezing. It was chilly, but we had a really sunny day up there. It was actually cloudy down on the ground though. Definitely some wind up there though. So it was so beautiful up on the glacier. It was way colder when we did the small boat excursion in Endicott Arm.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:21 AM, stevendom57 said:

Thanks

Steven

Am I understanding this correctly?

You are visiting this place for the first time and are speculating on the temperature.

You contacted the company that goes there every day and received an answer that does not match your guess.

Now you are asking total strangers - many of whom have never been there (or visited once a long time ago) - to further speculate on what the temperature might be this week.