Booking a new cruise

sandy999

Hi all, I am thinking of booking a cruise direct with celebrity.  If I book now for March 2020 and the cruise price drops, will I be refunded the difference by Celebrity.  I know Princess will do this but not sure about celebrity.

A not-so-useful "it depends".

First, did you book a NRD (non-refundable deposit)? Those have their own set of rules which *may* prohibit cost changes downward.

Second, if it is outside the "final payment" date, you can call your agent/personal cruise consultant and ask to be re-fared (keep in mind this means basically cancelling and rebooking - you'll get the current set of perks) and get the lower price.

Finally, if it is inside the "final payment" date, then you should be able to "upgrade" to another cabin category but NOT get any money back (sometimes you can get OBC, but that's not that common).

I'm sure others will chime in...

I notice that you are from the UK ad the rules there are different than in the US. You need answers from those familiar with that set of rules. In the US IF you booked a refundable deposit and IF it is before final payment they will either credit your charge or upgrade you at the reduced cost (your choice). I don't think the UK does that.

1 hour ago, sandy999 said:

Hi all, I am thinking of booking a cruise direct with celebrity.  If I book now for March 2020 and the cruise price drops, will I be refunded the difference by Celebrity.  I know Princess will do this but not sure about celebrity.

Celebrity does sometimes  offer U.K. cruisers a ‘price promise’ where if the price drops they will honour the drop. However, it does have a time limit. In our experience this is usually still some time from the cruise date. You need to check the small print/dates clearly...

Generally U.K. bookings do not offer price drops. If you spot a significant drop you can cancel and rebook but you would then loose your deposit. Alternatively you can telephone Celebrity and try to ‘upgrade’ to a better room category. Generally as long as the room you are upgrading to is (even if only by a few £) more expensive they will do this. This is not guaranteed, however, and the jump from one room to another (Aqua to suite for example) could be significant.

Book only if you are happy with the present price...If you have flexibility you may prefer to wait and see how sales/prices progress.

Edited by chemmo

8 hours ago, killsport said:

A not-so-useful "it depends".

First, did you book a NRD (non-refundable deposit)? Those have their own set of rules which *may* prohibit cost changes downward.

Second, if it is outside the "final payment" date, you can call your agent/personal cruise consultant and ask to be re-fared (keep in mind this means basically cancelling and rebooking - you'll get the current set of perks) and get the lower price.

Finally, if it is inside the "final payment" date, then you should be able to "upgrade" to another cabin category but NOT get any money back (sometimes you can get OBC, but that's not that common).

I'm sure others will chime in...

Even with non-refundable deposits you can get a price reduction: I did so yesterday (and added a perk) based on a new promotion.  I called the general number and it was handled quickly and easily. I can't comment on how things are handled after "final payment date."  

I am in the US so this may or may not be helpful to the OP.

• 2 weeks later...