Orchestra vs Opera

ollienbertsmum

I am looking at cruises for next year.  I think that it is never too soon to plan a cruise.  I have looked at a couple in the Eastern Med, I have similar prices on Orchestra and Opera.  They have themed names, does that mean that t he ships are similar and so the Fantastica prices are comparing get like for like.  

I welcome anyone’s thoughts??

Yes, these two ships are in the same class with MSC. They are identical ships in their class,  initially Mistral, that was renamed Lirica, as MSC Sinfonia and MSC Armonia (Hope I’m right, else all hell will break loose on me!).So 4 sister ships in Lirica class. 

Very nice ships, as the maintenance is outstanding. Because they are older ships, they feel more quaint and the costs are lighter. 

MSC Fantasia was the first of 4 ships in that (Fantasia) class. Much bigger than Lirica Class, and the first to have Yacht club. 3 other ships in that class:  MSC Preziosa, MSC Divina and MSC Splendida.

Our first cruise, on Sinfonia, got us hooked on cruising and on MSC. 

Now: Fantastica is a class of EXPERIENCE  on MSC.

Experiences on MSC range: Bella< Fantastica < Aurea < Yacht Club. $ and amenities vary by experience. 

15 hours ago, Zephyr173 said:

Yes, these two ships are in the same class with MSC. They are identical ships in their class,  initially Mistral, that was renamed Lirica, as MSC Sinfonia and MSC Armonia (Hope I’m right, else all hell will break loose on me!).So 4 sister ships in Lirica class. 

Very nice ships, as the maintenance is outstanding. Because they are older ships, they feel more quaint and the costs are lighter. 

MSC Fantasia was the first of 4 ships in that (Fantasia) class. Much bigger than Lirica Class, and the first to have Yacht club. 3 other ships in that class:  MSC Preziosa, MSC Divina and MSC Splendida.

Our first cruise, on Sinfonia, got us hooked on cruising and on MSC. 

Now: Fantastica is a class of EXPERIENCE  on MSC.

Experiences on MSC range: Bella< Fantastica < Aurea < Yacht Club. $ and amenities vary by experience. 

Your opening sentence is wrong

Opera is a Lirica class 65,500GWT( Lirica, Armonia, Sinfonia, Opera) All these ships have been stretched since first operations

Orchestra is a Musica class 92000GWT (Musica. Orchestra, Poesia, Magnifica)

So Opera and Orchestra are very different ships.

I have been on Lirica .Opera(3 times) and Sinfonia(2 times) and Orchestra(4 times), Musica, Magnifica

In fact before the introduction of the YC the Musica class (The first YC was on Magnifica since done away with ) was by far and away my personal favourite size ship.

I've not been on a Lirica Class ship since the stretch , but I can imagine they feel much more crowded and they have instigated a booking system for theatre shows  and now have 3 dinner sittings to allow for larger passenger numbers.

I would always now choose a musica class over a lirica class given all being equal

Edited by Skier52

For information

Armonia was formerly European Vision

Sinfonia was formerly European Stars

both owned by the former cruise line Festival Cruises

Mistral(also Festival cruises) became Costa neoRiviera

Edited by Skier52

They don't have 3 sittings on Lirica-class ships, Pete - just the 2.

I've been on both Lirica-class (Armonia & Sinfonia) and Musica-class (Magnifica, Orchestra & Poesia) and will be sailing on Musica next year.  We've loved the small (Lirica) ships, but Orchestra, being bigger, has a lot more to offer onboard.

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

They don't have 3 sittings on Lirica-class ships, Pete - just the 2.

I've been on both Lirica-class (Armonia & Sinfonia) and Musica-class (Magnifica, Orchestra & Poesia) and will be sailing on Musica next year.  We've loved the small (Lirica) ships, but Orchestra, being bigger, has a lot more to offer onboard.

I stand corrected

do they have 3 theatre shows then ?

23 minutes ago, Skier52 said:

I stand corrected

do they have 3 theatre shows then ?

They do (as a result of the Renaissance program with more cabins added).  The MDR wasn't impacted as they added another 'room' as an MDR extension.

I'm wondering if the same situation will pertain in the theatre on Magnifica when it gets stretched.  🤔