Panama City?

poss

Would appreciate hearing pros and cons of doing this excursion from Colon.    How interesting (or not) is Panama City?   There's such a variety of excursions from this port, am having a tough time deciding what to sign up for.    The cruise is May 2020 on Mariner, Miami-San Fran (so that we can celebrate my husband's 90th b'day with his kids in CA).    

In fact, I go around in circles trying to decide what excursion to choose in virtually all the ports, mainly the Central America ports.   I read  — books, websites — and still can't get the thing figured out.    Any "must-do's" from people who know and enjoy the itinerary very welcome.

Choosing time is in two days.   Eeek. 

Edited by poss

I have been to Panama City and didn't find it all that exciting.  However, our trip included a visit to the Miraflores Locks, and I literally could have spent the afternoon just watching the ships go through.  I thought it was fascinating.  If there is an excursion to visit one of the locks, I'd consider that.  But everyone has different preferences!  Just because I loved it doesn't mean everyone would be as enthralled.

I strongly concur with the recommendations to take tours of the locks (either Gatun or Miraflores) vs a trip to Panama City.  Also, if you just want to stay in Colon the Hotel Washington is a fantastic site (at least it was when I stopped by on my first visit to Colon).

Marc

I actually found Panama City fascinating. The waterfront had some lovely areas and the Old city and fort had great history and interesting architecture. I also enjoyed the drive as we got to see some of the jungle areas on the way. The best would be a stop at the locks and Panama City.