Sydney Airport to Rocks Hotel (Hilton)

sigsky

9 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

We have not tried yet, but plan to use Uber.  Uber cost is about 20% less than taxi.  Train cost for two people is not significantly cheaper.  It involves some walking (not door to door), and may be cumbersome with luggage.  Therefore, Uber is the best option for us.  Only challenger is finding our Uber car without Wi-Fi (May lose signal once outside the airport building).  One trick is to have my husband stay inside the Arrival building in front of the entrance door with his iPhone while I go outside to locate our car from a line of vehicles.  We used this method when we visited Bucharest’s Village Museum (located in an outdoor park near Hard Rock Cafe).

Uber sounds the go,I believe you have to go out to the car park to meet Uber.

Not in the terminal,the express pick up ,I believe.

Oh the wifi at the airport is bad.

14 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Uber sounds the go,I believe you have to go out to the car park to meet Uber.

Not in the terminal,the express pick up ,I believe.

Oh the wifi at the airport is bad.

Thanks for info.  We shall go to car park area to meet Uber.  Hopefully, the car park is close enough to the airport building area that has sufficient Wi-Fi signal.

Read somewhere that Uber car meets passengers outside of the Arrival terminal.  We shall communicate to driver about exact location of pickup.

Express Pickup is where you will get your Uber.  

Marked in yellow on this map

https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/info-sheet/where-to-pick-up-international

You will not have wifi.  It's through the multi story carpark..  probably close to 200m from the terminal.

It's a standard pick up.  Once you have the driver's details it may not be too hard to find them unless you are arriving in the morning rush.

On 11/1/2019 at 8:00 PM, dreamercruise said:

We have not tried yet, but plan to use Uber.  Uber cost is about 20% less than taxi.  Train cost for two people is not significantly cheaper.  It involves some walking (not door to door), and may be cumbersome with luggage.  Therefore, Uber is the best option for us.  Only challenger is finding our Uber car without Wi-Fi (May lose signal once outside the airport building).  One trick is to have my husband stay inside the Arrival building in front of the entrance door with his iPhone while I go outside to locate our car from a line of vehicles.  We used this method when we visited Bucharest’s Village Museum (located in an outdoor park near Hard Rock Cafe).

I will be interested to hear how this works for you. When are you traveling?

On 11/3/2019 at 9:15 AM, sippican said:

I will be interested to hear how this works for you. When are you traveling?

We shall be visiting Sydney late next year.  You probably would have taken your trip by then, so our experience may not help you.

Wherever Uber exists, we use it.  Have not taken any taxi rides abroad for a long time, except our recent trip to Bucharest in early October.  One must be careful about dishonest Taxi drivers in Bucharest.  (Even the hotel concierge warned us on first day.). The one and only one time we took a taxi ride was in town center outside of restaurants.  Hubby was too lazy to get Uber ride from restaurant, because it was difficult to find Uber car from outside of restaurants (weak Wi-Fi signal).  The earlier Uber ride from hotel to restaurant was 12 RON.  We were planning to pay 15 RON for the return trip.  When we asked for fare estimate before getting on the cab and during the ride, the driver did not give a direct answer.  The meter he had was difficult to read, and I could not read off numbers from it.  At end of trip, the cab driver asked for 160 RON.  We refused to pay his high fare, and I got off the cab unhappily.  My husband gave him 15RON, and he did not argue.  In hindsight, we should have noticed his fishy action of dropping us off outside the hotel gate instead of pulling up to the building entrance.  Guess we had the advantage of being in a safe area and close to hotel lobby.  The taxi driver could be in trouble if the hotel staff called police.

I feel sorry for the honest taxi drivers whose jobs are becoming extinct.  Unfortunately, these dishonest taxi drivers (may not be legit) are driving us away.

• 3 weeks later...

We are flying  into Sydney on Saturday morning February 29th.  LEAP DAY!   I was planning to take an Uber or possibly a taxi if we don't feel up to trudging all the way out to the Uber pickup area.    I have discovered that there is a big parade in Sydney on that day, but I'm not sure where it takes place.  We will be going to the Hyatt Regency at Darling Harbor.  I'm just wondering if there would be any road closures or anything like that to impact our ride from the airport.   I assume the parade is early afternoonish, but they are bound to block things off ahead of time,  and if the trip takes extra time, a taxi can get expensive. 

Thanks for any advice.  

11 minutes ago, Maui Girl said:

We are flying  into Sydney on Saturday morning February 29th.  LEAP DAY!   I was planning to take an Uber or possibly a taxi if we don't feel up to trudging all the way out to the Uber pickup area.    I have discovered that there is a big parade in Sydney on that day, but I'm not sure where it takes place.  We will be going to the Hyatt Regency at Darling Harbor.  I'm just wondering if there would be any road closures or anything like that to impact our ride from the airport.   I assume the parade is early afternoonish, but they are bound to block things off ahead of time,  and if the trip takes extra time, a taxi can get expensive. 

Thanks for any advice.  

It is the Mardi Gras Parade on February 29th 2020 which starts in the evening around 7 pm. The route is away from Darling Harbour and shouldn't impact your taxi trip too much if at all.

Leigh