The one thing that you'll never forget..

cruisinbuddy

that you did on board. Mine was, my 13 y/o neice had luekemia and was granted a wish from the wish foundation. It was a disney cuise. It had to be cancelled because the luekemia came out of remission. So the year after the funeral I was on the Disney Magic geting ready for formal night. Looking mighty spiffy I might add. So I put my hand in my pocket and find one of those oragami cranes, paper bird. There's a whole other story there. So what I did was throw the crane overboard so she could sail the caribbean forever. I'll never forget that.

Well that's mine, now let's hear some others.

I don't think I can top your story but here's ours. On our very first cruise on the Celebration out of New Orleans, as we were passing Cuba far off in the distance (it was night time), my husband threw a bottle into the water. In it was his business card and on the back he explained that we were on our first cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary. This was in early September. Several months later, and after a hurricane (don’t even remember the name now) hit the Caribbean, and we had long forgotten the bottle, he received a fax at work. It was from a student in Honduras who had found his bottle. He explained that he liked to walk the beach after school and saw the bottle and opened it. What a surprise. Ended up we could not make out his address or fax number so never could get back with him but couldn’t believe that someone actually found the bottle. :D TG23

My hubby and I were on the HAL Maasdam during a full moon in the E. Caribbean. We mad our way to the very front of the ship and stood, just the two of us wathcing the brilliant moon on the silver water with the lights from the disco far above us shining through the windows. A truly serendipitous evening I will never forget.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The tux rental on the ship made a boo-boo and my husband's pants were about two sizes too big. Undaunted, he donned them and we pinned the back of them for the first formal evening. Just before he was to meet the captain, he bent down to tie his shoe and all the safety pins let go. We have a great picture with the captain and no one knew that I was holding my husband's pants up as it was taken. It does explain the smirk though. We took more permanent measures after that!

Happy sails,

Charlie

It was my first cruise several years ago on the NCL Norway ... I was so excited that I could not sleep and got up about 5am or so on the day that we were getting to St.Thomas. Went up to the deck and had my coffee and watched the sunrise as we were pulling into port. There was hardly anyone up at that early and it was so peaceful.

We docked in Cozumel and sent DH ahead to rent a car. PT Cruisers had just come out and they had one at the rental office, so the kids were convinced that's what we were getting. What we got was one of those topless, patchwork-painted VW's. Our kids thought that was even cooler than the PT Cruiser!! So we tootled all around the island, stopped on deserted beaches, drank Cokes out of glass bottles (a first for our kids). It was the best vacation day ever. The memories and pictures of that day are so precious to me!

It was the first cruise I remember (I'd been on one when I was 9months old)...We were on board the Queen Mary (yes the first one), I was 5 years old and mother was taking me back home to Australia to meet her family (I was born there, but I didn't recall anything because I was so young when I left. I remember dad standing on the dock and we were up on the deck...we all had streamers, by brother, my mom, and I...dad was hold the end of each of them as the ship pulled out. The paper streamers became tighter and tighter. We were waving and blowing kisses...then the steamers all broke. We watched as he got smaller and smaller, waving and blowing kisses madly...we were off for a vacation of a life time...and I will never forget the image of my dad, I kept it in my heart that entire trip.

I was on a cruise with my Grandmother and I walked her to the front of the ship where she tossed a 6 million dollar stone... wait, that's Titanic.

Seriously nothing as wonderful or funny as these stories but something.

Gene and I almost didn't make it. We lost one of our boys 9 years ago and it's pretty normal to divorce in the few years following that, the figures run somewhere near 80%. We fought and hurt and even tho we had two adopted boys who we adored we missed Ben and were so busy blaming ourselves and hurting that we lost "us".

We decided to have a vacation together to cool off and think about what we really wanted. It was a short cruise, and Gene's first on the Sovereign. On the second day we woke up together without the kids distracting us and the daily ritual of life in the way. We looked at one another and both knew that no matter how much pain had gone on that we loved one another and wanted to be together for the rest of our lives.

We did a lot of talking on that cruise but more importantly we did a lot of hand holding in silence. We weren't afraid of the silence anymore. There was no pain or hurt in quiet for the first time in a couple of years.

We have had stress since then but I can honestly say that our marriage, now thirteen years, is the greatest thing in our lives. We are both happy and we take time for one another and put our marriage first, which has made us a strong family and good parents. Gene just said, "Yep I am happy" as he is running for the door to get to work as I type this.

So sorry for your loss but so glad for the preservation of your marriage - sounds as if you two are best friends!

Thirteen years and I still get all excited when his car pulls in the driveway at the end of the day and we still IM eachother all day long :) Yep he's my best bud me I'm his. Even if I do drive the man bananas.

I think you nailed it on the head, saying that you're "Best buds". That is what I tell everyone, DW is my best friend & vise versa of course. Hey you have to be friends before you can fall in love with them. We're reaching, in May, 22 years, and you can count on one hand how many yelling fights we've had. I'm the luckiest man in the world.

I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I had nearly died with the birth of my last son. A two year recovery and I had promised that if I recovered from this I was to go on the first cruise ( I had traveled all over the world but never cruised). I walked onto the ship with my family and was overwhelmed and oh so excited. The photogs snapped that first on board picture, and it was priceless,truely magic!!! http://www.cruisecrates.com:)

Nliedel,

Overcoming adversity is what this life is all about. I think those who have not experienced loss and pain haven't had the opportunity to reach down inside and see what they really are made of. Not, that we should all experience loss, but it can eventually make us better. Congratulations on keeping it together.

We are coming on 39 years this month and many, many hills and valleys have we traveled, but hopefully we can continue this journey together for many many more miles. Love the ole redneck more than life itself!

6 years ago, my husband, youngest son and myself took a cruise on the Elation[we liked it so much we took our adult kids with us the following year] Anyway, my husband, Bobby is the most wonderful, incredible man in the world, but I was married before him to Larry, who, after 18 and a half years of marraige, passed away from CLL. Larry had always dreamed of going whale watching. We were planning this when he became too ill. Well, after Bobby and I got married and took our cruise, we took a glass-bottom boat ride in Cabo San lucas. It was an incredible sight watching the seals sunning on the rocks, and I started thinking about how Larry would have loved to be there and I started getting a little sad thinking about how he loved the ocean and he had never been able to go whale-watching when suddenly, maybe 20 yards from us a huge grey whale leapt out of the water. ! it was incredible! [bobby has the tail splashing on tape} I don't know if it's just a coincidence and I want to believe that larry was with us that day,but,whether I am being delusional in the significance of the event or not, this is my most memorable cruise experience.

Im so happy that you and your husband were able to find each other again. It always makes me happy to hear married people talk about their spouse in such a positive way. I am a widow (5 years) and I have a really hard time listening to (women mostly) complain about their spouses. Most of the complaints are about such little things that in the scheme of things make no difference. I still miss the phone calls at work, the special dinners he made for us, the drives in the country and all the things that made our life together special. This is not to say of course that he didn't have his faults-and I certainly have mine-but when you spend 30 years together those faults are not important. I'll get off my soap box now-just had to say how happy I am for you that you have each other. Satine

Archived