Spencer Ambrose - decisions decisions

sldbolt2

I've found plenty of great reviews on Spencer Ambrose tours.  Has anyone taken the Anse Chastanet & Jalousie Beach tour?  Originally our thought was to take the Jalousie/Sugar Beach tour - but this second option gives me the black sand beach.   Any thoughts on the 2 different tours?  

Also, what are the chair/umbrella options?

I've done Jalouise/Sugar Beach three times with them but as a stop on their longer Land and Sea Adventure. Beach chairs are free to use on the public side (left side looking towards land) oh the beach. They are nothing fancy (actually old but quite usable) and they are shaded naturally by big trees. If you have to have posh chairs, they rent our padded loungers on the resort side for $50 a each! I have no idea as to how Anse Chastanet will be since we've never been to that beach but we're booked for that Anse Chastanet/ Jalouise tour next March. We'll see.

On 9/25/2019 at 2:28 AM, Stinger-pr said:

I've done Jalouise/Sugar Beach three times with them but as a stop on their longer Land and Sea Adventure. Beach chairs are free to use on the public side (left side looking towards land) oh the beach. They are nothing fancy (actually old but quite usable) and they are shaded naturally by big trees. If you have to have posh chairs, they rent our padded loungers on the resort side for $50 a each! I have no idea as to how Anse Chastanet will be since we've never been to that beach but we're booked for that Anse Chastanet/ Jalouise tour next March. We'll see.

I'm having the Anse/Jalousie vs just Jalousie debate myself.

When you were at Jalousie how long did you spend in the water? It sounds like Jalousie is mainly sea life whilst Anse Chastanet has the reef to snorkel?

Edited by NateUpNorth

6 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

I'm having the Anse/Jalousie vs just Jalousie debate myself.

When you were at Jalousie how long did you spend in the water? It sounds like Jalousie is mainly sea life whilst Anse Chastanet has the reef to snorkel?

We spent well over two hours at Jalouise, but this was part of their longer Land and Sea tour. They have a half day beach getaway that includes just transport to Jalouise and you spend most of the day there. With the snorkel tour they advertise one hour at each location to snorkel. I have no idea how flexible they will be with their allotted time at the sites but one hour should be fine at Jalouise. No idea about the features of Anse Chastanet but yes, Jalouise has TONS of sea life. It's kindda like a huge aquarium!

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 4:16 PM, Stinger-pr said:

We spent well over two hours at Jalouise, but this was part of their longer Land and Sea tour. They have a half day beach getaway that includes just transport to Jalouise and you spend most of the day there. With the snorkel tour they advertise one hour at each location to snorkel. I have no idea how flexible they will be with their allotted time at the sites but one hour should be fine at Jalouise. No idea about the features of Anse Chastanet but yes, Jalouise has TONS of sea life. It's kindda like a huge aquarium!

Thanks!

Too early to request a review of the Anse/Jalousie tour you have booked for March? LOL

I've been to both beaches, Anse the black sand beach you are referring to is a very small beach, didn't do much for me and I have no desire to go back. Jalousie is beautiful been there many times and can't wait to go back. Two completely different beaches not very far apart, I would spend my whole day on Jalousie if it were me. Hope that helps Todd

On 10/1/2019 at 10:09 AM, TTEllis said:

I've been to both beaches, Anse the black sand beach you are referring to is a very small beach, didn't do much for me and I have no desire to go back. Jalousie is beautiful been there many times and can't wait to go back. Two completely different beaches not very far apart, I would spend my whole day on Jalousie if it were me. Hope that helps Todd

Did you snorkel while you were there? I'm curious about the "reef" they indicate is there.........

8 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

Did you snorkel while you were there? I'm curious about the "reef" they indicate is there.........

The reef at AC is extensive - all along the cliff side, extends in a fairly decent sized shelf, with a solid deep drop off after a bit. Extends all the way out the cliff to the point and around, various corals, reef fish and sea creatures, etc.  And fairy shallow for most of the snorkeling area.  As you get to the point, there can be a pretty decent current - if you're not a strong swimmer, dont head out that deep. There's also lots of book and crannies, small caves along the cliff side to poke in and explore. .

And the beach at AC is quite long, extends a fair distance. The portion where cruise ship tours drop off is right by the snorkeling area and the beach between the cliff/pier and restaurant is fair small, but you're not confined to that area, the whole beach is public. Or walk over to Anse Mamin, about 10-15 minute walk for more beach, great jungle grill and bar, some smaller reefs, mountain biking, etc. 

11 hours ago, reedprincess said:

The reef at AC is extensive - all along the cliff side, extends in a fairly decent sized shelf, with a solid deep drop off after a bit. Extends all the way out the cliff to the point and around, various corals, reef fish and sea creatures, etc.  And fairy shallow for most of the snorkeling area.  As you get to the point, there can be a pretty decent current - if you're not a strong swimmer, dont head out that deep. There's also lots of book and crannies, small caves along the cliff side to poke in and explore. .

And the beach at AC is quite long, extends a fair distance. The portion where cruise ship tours drop off is right by the snorkeling area and the beach between the cliff/pier and restaurant is fair small, but you're not confined to that area, the whole beach is public. Or walk over to Anse Mamin, about 10-15 minute walk for more beach, great jungle grill and bar, some smaller reefs, mountain biking, etc. 

Thank you so much for such a detailed response!

I hope my picture posts correctly, but I gather you're saying the area where the white arrow is would be great for snorkelling, but out near the black arrow is where the stronger current would kick in? 

I think you've convinced me to go with the Spencer tour that goes to both Anse & Jalousie! Hopefully Stinger-pr will post a tour specific review for us. 

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

I hope my picture posts correctly, but I gather you're saying the area where the white arrow is would be great for snorkelling, but out near the black arrow is where the stronger current would kick in? 

I think you've convinced me to go with the Spencer tour that goes to both Anse & Jalousie! Hopefully Stinger-pr will post a tour specific review for us. 

Capture.JPG

Yes, you've got the gist. Get out towards the end if the point, and the current can kick in. There's a full roped off area for snorkeling that goes all the way to the point area, so you can swim out and see the amazing view back to the coast and the Pitons, and hold on to the rope. Just be aware..the snorkeling all along that post and the shelf that stretches out a fair distance, then there's a sharp drop off, a bit disconcerting when you first see it but fun to snorkel along and see the differences, the sea life that lives in the edge, etc. 

Personally, and take this as you will, we prefer snorkeling over at A/C versus Jalousie as it doesn't get as crowded and has more variety overall - and it's not getting choked out by the imported sand Sugar Beach brings in.  Jalousie does have a stunning setting though, no doubt. 

Enjoy. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Yes, you've got the gist. Get out towards the end if the point, and the current can kick in. There's a full roped off area for snorkeling that goes all the way to the point area, so you can swim out and see the amazing view back to the coast and the Pitons, and hold on to the rope. Just be aware..the snorkeling all along that post and the shelf that stretches out a fair distance, then there's a sharp drop off, a bit disconcerting when you first see it but fun to snorkel along and see the differences, the sea life that lives in the edge, etc. 

Personally, and take this as you will, we prefer snorkeling over at A/C versus Jalousie as it doesn't get as crowded and has more variety overall - and it's not getting choked out by the imported sand Sugar Beach brings in.  Jalousie does have a stunning setting though, no doubt. 

Enjoy. 

Thanks for all your information.  I have this booked for January and I’m sure my husband will be very happy with the snorkeling! 

On 10/2/2019 at 11:42 AM, NateUpNorth said:

No I didn't snorkel but many people were. The snorkeling at Jalousie is a matter of opinion, and hit or miss. Go have fun. Todd

On 10/3/2019 at 8:33 AM, NateUpNorth said:

Capture.JPG

Well... I'll be there the first week of March 2020. While I do plan on a full review that includes St. Lucia and this tour, unless you're going after that, I'm not sure I'll be of much help.

I do have some pictures of my time snorkeling at Jalouise, though.

On 10/4/2019 at 5:06 PM, Stinger-pr said:

Well... I'll be there the first week of March 2020. While I do plan on a full review that includes St. Lucia and this tour, unless you're going after that, I'm not sure I'll be of much help.

I do have some pictures of my time snorkeling at Jalouise, though.

December 2020, so I'll be reading your review! Thanks in advance.

17 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

December 2020, so I'll be reading your review! Thanks in advance.

Then I guess you will get to read it...lol!

By the way, looking at your map it looks like the snorkeling area at Anse Chastanet is right by where the "Fish on the rock" formation is located. I was looking at some pics from an old review I did and there are buoys just below the rock face and that area looks similar in the map. See my pic below:

IMG_3906-S.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 9:13 AM, sldbolt2 said:

I've found plenty of great reviews on Spencer Ambrose tours.  Has anyone taken the Anse Chastanet & Jalousie Beach tour?  Originally our thought was to take the Jalousie/Sugar Beach tour - but this second option gives me the black sand beach.   Any thoughts on the 2 different tours?  

Also, what are the chair/umbrella options?

I did the Anse Chastanet/Jalousie Beach tour with Spencer last year. The snorkelling was good and the company was professional. Take beach shoes!  Forgetting them on the boat was my one regret. On a 21 day cruise this was the only stop I really wanted them for. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 7:09 PM, gbsca2001 said:

I did the Anse Chastanet/Jalousie Beach tour with Spencer last year. The snorkelling was good and the company was professional. Take beach shoes!  Forgetting them on the boat was my one regret. On a 21 day cruise this was the only stop I really wanted them for. 

Great tip!!  Shores are rocky at both places. No jagged rock but loose pebbles and coral and can get quite uncomfortable to walk in or out of the water.