Never Say Never

sevenseasnomad

On 9/26/2019 at 6:39 PM, sevenseasnomad said:

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and advice.  Yes, I'll call HAL Special Needs and see what advice they can give me.  I can get documentation from a physician if I need to.  

The group is Turning Point Ministries.  Yes, I expect our cruise to be impacted.  It already has with the early fixed dining closed to all passengers except those traveling with this group. 

After we find a solution, I'll report back.  Again, I appreciate the advice, everyone.

That's one of the Inspiration cruises. They do get large groups. How many are there in your group? IIRC, on K'dam, CO had just one round, set for 6. Everything else was 2s and 4s. I don't think the tables can be moved. 

I hope HAL can do something to make your dining experience what it should be. 

I think its crazy that HAL would let this large group do a NYE cruise and take over the early dining.  My curiosity got the better of me so I googled this group and found a link for this cruise. They are having about 5 entertainers, which could mean the showroom would be taken over in addition to the dining room. They will also be having various sessions during the week which will close venues to the other passengers. Just google Turning Point Ministries Nieuw Statendam cruise and you get an idea.  Hope every thing works out for you. 

It does sound like this group may take over the World Stage area at night.  Like many here, I cannot conceive that HAL would allow one-third of its manifest to control what the other two-thirds of the passengers want to do.  Final payment is tomorrow.  I will call Ship's Services for more information.  I hope I'll be able to speak with someone who is knowledgeable.  

Thanks for the heads-up and advice, everyone.  We're still debating what to do, although time is running out quickly.

It may not matter, but it could very well be that the group might have the dining slot together so they can have a pre- or post dinner event together.

If it helps any, 2 friends did an Alaska cruise tour on NA and for the 4 days they were aboard, they had no interference from a very large group ( Insight for Living) that was onboard. 

20 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

It does sound like this group may take over the World Stage area at night.  Like many here, I cannot conceive that HAL would allow one-third of its manifest to control what the other two-thirds of the passengers want to do.  Final payment is tomorrow.  I will call Ship's Services for more information.  I hope I'll be able to speak with someone who is knowledgeable.  

Thanks for the heads-up and advice, everyone.  We're still debating what to do, although time is running out quickly.

World stage may not be an issue, as recent reports say that there isn't entertainment there every night. 

It has been a while since I've seen reports, but we have had threads about large groups and their impact on availability of public spaces. I doubt HAL will tell you much about the group and their plans. 

I hope you get some help from HAL. Such a shame that it's down to final payment time and you have so little time to decide. Please let us know what HAL says. 

Reporting back.  I tried four times to get in touch with Club Orange this afternoon.  First two times the number rang and when the spiel started, the call disconnected.  The next time, I spoke to an agent who hung up on me (or the line was again disconnected) as I was explaining our situation.  With only hours left in the final payment window, I was frustrated.  I tried one more time.  This time I spoke to a wonderful gentleman who patiently listened, excused himself to speak to a supervisor, and came back with a discount on Club Orange.  I bought it.  I know they drop the price a lot, but I can live with the price we're paying.  Based on some of the reviews I've read, we may be getting a real bargain.

Club Orange did offer to upgrade our cabin, which I refused, once I learned our new cabin isn't a NS.  What would have been the chances of that?  LOL.  We're in the same cabin we had last year, one of two cabins with the h-u-g-e balconies on aft Deck 4.  Since we've reserved Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill (one each week), we're good to go.  

After the cruise, I will return and let everyone know how Turning Point Ministries impacted us, if at all.  We are excited to try Club Orange in spite of being more or less forced into it.  Thanks to everyone for their advice and concern.  All of you are the best. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Wow!  That is awesome @sevenseasnomad!  I am sorry for the initial frustration but if that’s the payment then it’s turned out lovely.  Congratulations!  I hope you love it as much as I did.  Looking forward to your review and have a great trip!

Thanks.  I always feel that any trip is what a traveler makes of it.  It helps that we're forewarned on this cruise, and as I've told everyone, we can make our own fabulous memories, positive or not.  The not-so-positive ones are those that we laugh about later.  

• Like 2