tried an all inclusive/1st time

ccletzgo

Sue, when you say Palace Resorts, is that the same as the RUI resorts? Do you like one in particular? Also, do you know if they offer domestic beers such as Miller Lite or Bud Light or Coors Light?

Thanks for your help!

###

PhoenixCriuser - No. The Palace Resorts are not connected in any way with the RIU resorts. Yes..there is the RIU Palace (very confusing!) on the Mayan Riviera (absolutely fabulous!! Incredible beach and great snorkelling and diving!), but it's part of the RIU chain, not the Palace chain. And, no...I've never seen U.S. domestic beers offered at these resorts. The Palace AIs have a contract with Dos XX (which I'm not crazy about), and the RIU resorts in Mexico serve Corona. RIU also has resorts in Jamaica and the Dominican Republic, where they contract for local beers. I was in Aruba several years ago, and ordered a Bud Lite - and was charged $6.50!! (Because it was an "imported" beer). After I picked myself up off the floor, I asked about the "domestic" beers, and was told that Heineken and Amstel were only $1.50, as they were "local" beers. (Aruba is a Dutch protectorate). In St. Lucia, it's usually Pitons beer. In Jamaica, it's usually Red Stripe beer. In other Caribbean islands, (Antigua, Anguilla), it's usually Caribe beer. It's cheaper for the AIs to contract with local beers.

PhoenixCriuser - No. The Palace Resorts are not connected in any way with the RIU resorts. Yes..there is the RIU Palace (very confusing!) on the Mayan Riviera (absolutely fabulous!! Incredible beach and great snorkelling and diving!), but it's part of the RIU chain, not the Palace chain. And, no...I've never seen U.S. domestic beers offered at these resorts. The Palace AIs have a contract with Dos XX (which I'm not crazy about), and the RIU resorts in Mexico serve Corona. RIU also has resorts in Jamaica and the Dominican Republic, where they contract for local beers. I was in Aruba several years ago, and ordered a Bud Lite - and was charged $6.50!! (Because it was an "imported" beer). After I picked myself up off the floor, I asked about the "domestic" beers, and was told that Heineken and Amstel were only $1.50, as they were "local" beers. (Aruba is a Dutch protectorate). In St. Lucia, it's usually Pitons beer. In Jamaica, it's usually Red Stripe beer. In other Caribbean islands, (Antigua, Anguilla), it's usually Caribe beer. It's cheaper for the AIs to contract with local beers.

Thank you Sue! Now I'm even more confused about planning a family vacation to celebrate my parents 45 wedding anniversary :confused:

Right now we are leaning toward a 5 day cruise on either the Jewel out of Boston (chartered) or the Serenade out of San Diego.

Thanks again :)

###

Antigua has their own beer called Wadadli , Aruba also has Balashi beer . Dominica has Kubuli and Barbados has Banks beer. Carib beer is manufactured in Trinidad (where I live) and is our local beer along with Stag beer and we also bottle Heineken. You can also find many imported beers at the grocery store and selected restaurants and bars. U.S. domestic beer costs a little bit more than local beer ,a local beer costs about $0.85US and a Miller costs $1.50 at the grocery.

Carib beer is also exported to other Caribbean Islands though Grenada also has a Carib beer factory. I happen to like Heineken which you also get on St.Maarten.

DH and I are not drinkers, so we'd never consider and AI because of the price of alcohol being included. This is what we like so much about cruising. We feel we'd be throwing money away paying for an AI and not drinking alcohol.

AI includes, bottled water, and canned juices like V8. All soda's in the can. (not watered down from a fountain machine either) sparkling waters etc. Anything you can imagine to drink. All of which cost cost cost on a cruise. It was hard for me to get used to just opening the mini bar and taking things out to drink without thinking of the price. But, it was nice.;)

Sense everyone is discussing AI chains, I thought I would mention that we were at the Gran Carib Real. the Real chain has 2 AI's in Cancun and another 2 just south in Playa Del Carmen. Gran Carib is brand new. We were the first to use our room. :D

AI includes, bottled water, and canned juices like V8. All soda's in the can. (not watered down from a fountain machine either) sparkling waters etc. Anything you can imagine to drink. All of which cost cost cost on a cruise. It was hard for me to get used to just opening the mini bar and taking things out to drink without thinking of the price. But, it was nice.;)

Sense everyone is discussing AI chains, I thought I would mention that we were at the Gran Carib Real. the Real chain has 2 AI's in Cancun and another 2 just south in Playa Del Carmen. Gran Carib is brand new. We were the first to use our room. :D

Funny you should post this---I LOVE cruising and am going on my 7th RCCL Cruise in May --but when the 3 of us go on vacation (husband, me and son) even with the cruise we tend to spend quite a bit extra $$$ and we aren't big drinkers at all--just wine --but when you add in Johnny Rockets, Portofino, Chops, wine Package etc it is a significant cost so I have been looking around for All Inclusives in Cancun & Punta Cana for 12/26 - 1/1. I haven't seen this Hotel--Is this closer to Town? Big Resort?

I've been to Sandals and it really is the next best thing to Cruising Loved it

Interesting Thread, but maybe I've missed something. You can have the best of both worlds.

No buffets

No chair hogs

Wonderful food and service

Different scenery every day

No signing for everything

No nickle and diming

No tipping

Do an all inclusive cruise.

Sea-hawk

Hi eeryone,

I am surprised no one has mentioned in any detail the Club Med resorts. The first AI's ever. My family, my husband ,myself and two daughters have done Club Med 4 times. The first time to Ixtapa, Mex. when they were 7 & 10, twice to Punta Cana, Dom. Rep. when they were teens and last winter we went to Crested Butte, Co. for a Club Med ski trip. We ski a lot and this was pur best ski vacation by far.

Our daughters have never wanted to do any other kind of vacation. We finally talked them into a med. cruise on the Brilliance this coming June!

What they love about Club Med is meeting kids to hang out with all week (or 2 weeks as we did this once in Punta Cana), tons of kids and teen activies, fun shows at night...some that they get to rehearse for and be in. Activies like trapeze, windsurfing, snorkeling, rollerblading, beach vollyball, kayaking, sailing, etc, etc.

What we love is the relaxation. You can be very active or do nothing but sit on the beach and read and the kids are happy! Beautiful beach or pool with tons of emty chairs (no such thing as chair hogs...no need), all above stated activies INCLUDED, all drinks, including alcohic beverages included, all wine at dinner included. The only things not included are any excursions...yes, just like a cruise you can explore the country. We have take jungle cruises for the day, trips to the city of Santo Domingo, had a driver in Mexico take us all over the area for shopping, sightseeing,etc. If you arrange golf of course you must pay.

I think people think of Club Med as being expensive but when you consider that 99% of what you do is included it is a great deal. Some really like to see different port each day but sometimes it is nice to slow down the pace and really settle in somewhere. The other thing that sets Club Med apart is the comraderie and activities. My kids love the dancing, crazy signs (specific moves/dances to music done at the pool and at the show at night) and the feeling of belonging to something. The GO's (employees) are from all over the world and are so friendly, they really love what they do. many of the guests are internatinal which makes it very special I think.

We have seen the same people at different Clubs just like on a cruise and have kept in touch with many. You sit with who ever you want for dinner and it is so easy to make friends.

Well, I've gone on long enough! We will enjoy our cruise I am sure but I know there are many more Club Med trips in our future. Try it!

KathiB

Interesting Thread, but maybe I've missed something. You can have the best of both worlds.

No buffets

No chair hogs

Wonderful food and service

Different scenery every day

No signing for everything

No nickle and diming

No tipping

Do an all inclusive cruise.

Sea-hawk

Great Idea.. which lines are all inclusive? Crystal is, I think? Anyone know of any others?

Gosh I am hearing names I have never heard before....... How many AI resorts are there? Now I have no idea where to begin looking. I had just recieved a Couple Only and Sandals brochure. Yikes. :eek: I am looking for one that the "guys" can play golf (hopefully included in price) and the "gals" can sit around the sand and enjoy the days.

check out:

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com

Keegan,

Not sure if you are totalling all the costs in a cruise - add in drinks, port charges, taxes and tips and is it still what you think? Also, we get airfare included in the all-inclusive pricing for less than cruise only when you add in port charges, taxes, tips, and alcohol (and even soft drinks). I suppose cruising could be cheaper if you live near a cruise port - but we have to fly no matter where we vacation for a week. The Iberostar resorts are awesome. We like the Mayan Riviera - south of Cancun. Have stayed at Gran Porto Real, Iberostar Paraiso Beach Resort, Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, and Riu Tequila. I know a lot about the area if anyone has any questions.

Going on the Monarch of the Seas in July for a family reunion, and though I love A/I in Mayan Riviera I am really looking forward to cruising again. It's been 15 years since a cruise for me!

Archived