tried an all inclusive/1st time

ccletzgo

Has anyone done the adults-only AI Aventura Spa and Palace in Riviera Maya? We looked into it for our vacation this year but in the end opted to book our usual cruise. Aventura looked great but was a little pricier that what I was able to put together but I really would like to consider it for the future

For an AI, I totally recommend Sandals. We went to Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia for our honeymoon and loved it!! Sandals are couples only so there were no kids around and no groups of spring-breaking college students. Very relaxing, great food, beautiful resort.
We spent a week at the Grand St. Lucian last year around this time.

If you are looking for a more secluded, quiet, laid back resort, then I wouldn't recommend the Grand. It seemed to have more of a crowded, loud, party-type atmosphere. There are shuttle busses that run between the three Sandals St. Lucia properties (Grand, Regency, & Halycon), and it seemed as if many of the guests from the Regency and Halycon came over to the Grand because of it's superior amenities.

We didn't visit the Halycon, but did spend an afternoon at the Regency. Seemed much nicer and more secluded than the Grand, but the service was poor. Food at the Grand & Regency was good, but not spectacular. Same could be said about our room at the Grand.

Overall, I thought the Sandals Grand St. Lucian was nice, but should've been a lot better for what they charge to stay there. It was my first and only experience at an all-inclusive, so maybe my expectations were unreasonably high.

Perhaps some others could share their opinions on their stay at the Grand St. Lucian.

What happens if it rains the entire time you are at the AI? Everything mentioned was outside activites, are there indoor things to do? Yes it can rain while cruising also, but there are lots of indoor activities and if it's a day at sea then the ship can most likely go around the rain, unless of course it's a hurricane and then you probably would have some rough weather. We have stayed away from AI's for this reason and wonder since so many people seem to like them then maybe there are more activites when it rains. But if you are not a drinker (and that seems to be the biggest advantage) then is the price really better? Are all of the water activites included? It seems to me that I've read some things are but others have to be paid for, does this vary by resort?

Just a few questions since everytime I've priced an AI, it was alot more than a cruise.

I have never been to an AI where it rained the entire time, and I have been to alot of islands in the "rainy" season. I remember it raining once for about 15 minutes in St. Lucia and that was in the afternoon, we were in the pool and remained there until the shower passed.

The AI resorts that I have been to did have options for inside activities, such as table tennis, pool tables,fencing,internet, library,spa and gym.

Also the water activities were included;water aerobics,water volleyball, banana boat rides, hobie cats, water skiing, pedal boats, kayaks, scuba lessons and snorkeling.

And some non water activities were included such as archery,tennis, golf,tai chi, yoga, meditation, fitness classes, dance classes, daily games such as egg toss,volleyball,cricket and spa treatments (we got one spa treatment each per day at La Source in Grenada).

If you visit the Couples resorts in Jamaica or Palace resorts in Cancun all your excursions are also included.

The other advantage is that all the resturants are free, even the speciality resturant though they require reservations and you may be limited to the number of resturants you can visit depending on how many nights you are staying at the resort.

But some all inclusives are cheaper than cruising, even with alcohol, and you can also get lots of non alcoholic beverages and cocktails. I don't see it as throwing away money for something not used, because there are many things that we pay for on a cruise that we do not use either. ;) I just see it as having options.

Oh, and I also have to add that the AI hotels also do something special for birthdays and honeymoons.I got a cake, champagne and a card for my birthday and friends of mine got a fruit basket and champagne for their honeymoon. We cruised on AOS for our honeymoon and did not get anything special from the cruiseline.

If you factor in airfare and alcohol the price is comparable. If you don't need airfare and you cruise in the off season and don't consume large amounts of alcohol cruising is much cheaper. I have checked and for a week at an AI it will cost at least 4-5 K for two and I always cruise for about 1500.00 for two for a 7 day. Even with tips and extra days before and after a cruise at hotels and food, gas and parking it still comes out much cheaper.

Those prices you are quoting for all incluisves are pretty high! I have checked, sites such as applevactions.com, funjet.com and usairwaysvacations.com and you can get a week all inclusive with airfare for MUCH less than 4k for two persons.

And if you check off season dates, the prices are lower too. I need airfare to cruise, which is usually pretty expensive and I do not consume much alcohol and the cruise is either a bit more expensive or the same as an all inclusive, but not a significant difference that I would choose one over the other. I like to try new things and plan my vacations accordingly.

Could you give me the information on the cheaper prices for the AI so I can take a look? I have tried to find them in the past I could not locate one that was comparable to the inside off season cruise with no airfare. Thanks for your help. BTW the prices I look at are on a low cost web travel site.

Could you give me the information on the cheaper prices for the AI so I can take a look? I have tried to find them in the past I could not locate one that was comparable to the inside off season cruise with no airfare. Thanks for your help. BTW the prices I look at are on a low cost web travel site.

Ok, lets play your game an inside cabin category Q (the cheapest) for 7 nights on Navigator of the Seas (cruise ship with lots of activities comparable to an AI hotel) from September 16th to September 23rd costs $1319.00 for two with port charges.

7 nights AI with airfare and return hotel transfers from Miami :

Rivieria Maya Sandos Caracol $1462.00

Punta Cana Riu Naioba $1340.00

Royal Decameron Montego Bay $1460.00

Now I quoted the lower end all inclusives, comparable to the lower end cabins, if you decide to change the cabin to a balcony you will find a comparable AI resort for about the same price,eg.

Balcony Cabin Category E2 on the Navigator for the same period $1815.00

7 nights AI with hotel transfers and airfare from Miami for same period

Rivieria Maya Grand Sirenis $1658.00

Rivieria Maya Grand Gala Esmeralda $1840.00

Rivieria Maya Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar $1924.00

Punta Cana Palladium Palace $1788.00

Punta Cana Bahia Principe $1872.00

I used http://www.applevacations.com for prices and the all inclusive resorts include everything, even tips while tips, soft drinks and speciality restaurants are additional on the cruise.I left out the alcoholic drinks since you said you do not drink (but for drinkers the all inclusive price includes alcohol).

We spent a week at the Grand St. Lucian last year around this time.

If you are looking for a more secluded, quiet, laid back resort, then I wouldn't recommend the Grand. It seemed to have more of a crowded, loud, party-type atmosphere. There are shuttle busses that run between the three Sandals St. Lucia properties (Grand, Regency, & Halycon), and it seemed as if many of the guests from the Regency and Halycon came over to the Grand because of it's superior amenities.

We didn't visit the Halycon, but did spend an afternoon at the Regency. Seemed much nicer and more secluded than the Grand, but the service was poor. Food at the Grand & Regency was good, but not spectacular. Same could be said about our room at the Grand.

Overall, I thought the Sandals Grand St. Lucian was nice, but should've been a lot better for what they charge to stay there. It was my first and only experience at an all-inclusive, so maybe my expectations were unreasonably high.

Perhaps some others could share their opinions on their stay at the Grand St. Lucian.

I stayed at this hotel when it was a Hyatt, before Sandals took it over. I was in STL for jazz fest. It was very nice and I chose it for proximity to Pigeon Point. I have returned since for a day pass while it was Sandals. It is still very pretty but for laid back I suggest Antigua.

I prefer my AIs smaller and more personal. Also, IMO Sandals are louder than others in general. All that rallying to the games by the Playmakers reminds me too much of the cruise staff on ships trying to get pax to participate in pool games.

There is one thing that cruises have over a AI and that is the ability to chase the sun and go where the weather is good. If there is a tropical storm in the western Caribbean and that is your destination then the captain will change the itinerary to a Eastern route, If you are at an AI you are stuck with that tropical storm.

For those of you who have been to AIs, how did you find them?

Website(s), travel agents, word of mouth? Is there a message board for AIs similar to CC?

Also did you book them directly through the resort, or did you use a TA?

While chasing the sun is a good advantage over a land vacation, I would be disappointed if my Western Caribbean cruise changed to Eastern as I have no desire to do an Eastern! I pick cruises for the itineray not only the ship.

When booking my AI vacation I try not to book a hotel between August to October , and I also choose an island that is more South.I have had excellent weather in January,March, April, June and November. I have visited Barbados several times in August for their Crop Over festival (did not stay AI) and it did rain like one day out of a week.

The things I dislike about cruising are the embarkation and disembarkation process, we had a nightmare in Puerto Rico leaving the AOS with a port strike and missed our return flight home. That still didn't stop us from booking another cruise however.

I am also a bit concerned about tendering in Grand Cayman, I am hoping we do get to see the island and are not stuck missing that port.

There is one thing that cruises have over a AI and that is the ability to chase the sun and go where the weather is good. If there is a tropical storm in the western Caribbean and that is your destination then the captain will change the itinerary to a Eastern route, If you are at an AI you are stuck with that tropical storm.

Sorry but that is not accurate. Yes, the Captain CAN alter course if the weather is dangerous but not just to find a sunny spot. They may also swap one port for another if absolutely necessary.

I have never had that experience after 105 cruises and have been out in tropical storms (kept out at sea as it was too rough to dock), hurricanes (parked for three days in St.Thomas due to really high seas and then left at SJU airport to find my way home) and really high seas (just had to get used to the barf bags everywhere).

I have done two cruises and one AI in Mexico. We did the AI because we only had a few days to go on vacation. Here is my short list of pro's and cons

Pros for AI

Can take a shorter vacation

Easy to get to hotels with a charter service (apple etc)

Free drinks (We don't drink alot so it didn't matter)

NO CHAIR HOGS!!!!!!! OR people stealing my chair when I am only in the pool for 5 minutes.

Bigger rooms.

Cons for AI

Our 4/5 star AI food was much worse then a cruise.(except for the buffet) HAd to make reservations at the popular ones and only could get them for one night or not at all.

Missed the thrill of arriving at port. (Slept in more because of it).

Just my two cents...

Go to Liberty Travel site. Pick location and you will get pricing for AIs including hotel, air and transfers. I have found that Liberty Travel has the best pricing - way better than Apple unless you get an an Apple charter which has limited choice of days you leave and return.

I have done two cruises and one AI in Mexico. We did the AI because we only had a few days to go on vacation. Here is my short list of pro's and cons

Pros for AI

Can take a shorter vacation

Easy to get to hotels with a charter service (apple etc)

Free drinks (We don't drink alot so it didn't matter)

NO CHAIR HOGS!!!!!!! OR people stealing my chair when I am only in the pool for 5 minutes.

Bigger rooms.

Cons for AI

Our 4/5 star AI food was much worse then a cruise.(except for the buffet) HAd to make reservations at the popular ones and only could get them for one night or not at all.

Missed the thrill of arriving at port. (Slept in more because of it).

Just my two cents...

You stayed at the wrong AI. There are all kinds of 5* resorts offering at least 5 a la carte restuarants or more-no reservations required. AM Resorts is an example but there are more. I agree with your point about it being a pain in the ass to line up to make reservations and chancing they are not available. This is indicative of 3* & 4* resorts as well as weak 5* resorts.

You stayed at the wrong AI. There are all kinds of 5* resorts offering at least 5 a la carte restuarants or more-no reservations required. AM Resorts is an example but there are more. I agree with your point about it being a pain in the ass to line up to make reservations and chancing they are not available. This is indicative of 3* & 4* resorts as well as weak 5* resorts.

Bob what does AM stand for? What would you recommend for 10 adults, all family members.

Thanks!

###

Bob what does AM stand for? What would you recommend for 10 adults, all family members.

Thanks!

###

I can't remember what the AM stands for but I can give you their resort brand names...Secrets, Sunscape and, I believe, Beaches. The brand I'd pick for 10 adults is Secrets...adult only and their top of the line. There are currently 3 of them that I am aware of, Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Secrets Capri and Secrets Excellence Riviera Maya...both of these are about 30 & 20 minutes from the Cancun airport. I've stayed at Secrets Excellence Riviera Maya, it is as it's name implies - excellent. I have friends who have stayed at the other two-excellent as well. I think they are building another Excellence resort in Jamaica...going to take on Sandals and Superclubs on their home turf. If you go, you will have a great time :D

I would never consider a 3* or 4* AI. Apple vacations rates AIs using apples (duh). I would only consider the AIs rated 6 apples. If you then go to Trip Advisor, you can verify that these are highly rated by people who have been there.

I have no doubt you can cruise in an inside cabin on some ships and off season for way less than an AI. We have payed between $1300 - $1500 per person for balcony cabins on our last two cruises. Including air fare, tips and precruise hotel, cruise usually runs between $3400 - $3600 for two. That does not include drinks and cab fares at every island to get to a beach. We can go to top rated AI for slightly less.

One thing I learned about booking AIs is to book early. There are very limited number of flights to places like Cancun and Caribbean islands and they fill up quickly. Prices tend to go out of sight and you may have to leave on 8 PM flight and return on 8 AM flight.

I would never consider a 3* or 4* AI. Apple vacations rates AIs using apples (duh). I would only consider the AIs rated 6 apples. If you then go to Trip Advisor, you can verify that these are highly rated by people who have been there.

I have no doubt you can cruise in an inside cabin on some ships and off season for way less than an AI. We have payed between $1300 - $1500 per person for balcony cabins on our last two cruises. Including air fare, tips and precruise hotel, cruise usually runs between $3400 - $3600 for two. That does not include drinks and cab fares at every island to get to a beach. We can go to top rated AI for slightly less.

One thing I learned about booking AIs is to book early. There are very limited number of flights to places like Cancun and Caribbean islands and they fill up quickly. Prices tend to go out of sight and you may have to leave on 8 PM flight and return on 8 AM flight.

Archived