Cruising with "kids" age 20 & 23

lola4795

We booked online with Costco.  When I booked, the website wouldn't let me book the 20 & 23 year olds in the same room b/c of the age of 21 rule.  I didn't think too much about it and just book DH and I in separate rooms so that the boys would be separate on the reservation and we would then meet that 21 age rule.  In the back of my mind, I have been assuming that DH and I will just take a room together and the young adults will take another room together.  The rooms are side by side, but not connecting.  

After thinking about it, I'm seeing some logistical problems with this idea.  For instance swapping keys to get into the other room will be a pain if we are separated, and also a pain to get back on board the ship. We don't want to have to worry about always being together for everything.  When we board will Royal let us key the cards for our room rooms?  Or would they key all 4 cards to get into either room?  

I don't understand why there was a booking problem.  As long as there was one guest 21+ in the stateroom, there should have been no problem with another guest in the same stateroom who was under 21.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tullers said:

Just go to Guest Services once on board and have them switch it.  Should not be a problem so long as 1 room occupant is 21.

Tried that once.  Stood at Guest Services for over an hour while they tried to switch people into different rooms.  Something about not being able to change the passenger manifest before departure.  Got fed up and just asked for extra keys, which took 30 seconds.

I would probably try to call and get the passengers switched to the cabins you want them in prior to sailing. I am not sure why you weren't able to book it the way you wanted. Especially since the rooms are next to each other. I've not had a problem booking my kids next  door or across the hall yet and none of them are over 21 (or even over 18 for that matter).

That being said, getting extra keys for the rooms wont be an issue on board. I easily got extra keys to the room my teens were in as well as the one with my younger daughter and mother in law. 

All 3 of our kids are booked in an adjoining room, not connecting for our December cruise and they are all under 18 so I'm not sure why you were told they couldn't be booked in their own cabin, especially since one of them is over 21.  As long as it's adjoining or directly across the Hall, Royal allows it, but you have to call them.  We always get 5 keys to each room.