Nuremberg to Budapest or Budapest to Bucharest

Igogo

Never been on a river cruise but will probably undertake one of these two next year. Eight and nine days respectively. Keeping in mind I would prefer more natural beauty and less industry, does one cruise stand out above the other. Also is it a good idea to spend about three nights before and after at either end of the trip in port. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

1 hour ago, Igogo said:

Never been on a river cruise but will probably undertake one of these two next year. Eight and nine days respectively. Keeping in mind I would prefer more natural beauty and less industry, does one cruise stand out above the other. Also is it a good idea to spend about three nights before and after at either end of the trip in port. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

We solved the problem by booking both Bucharest to Budapest and Budapest to Cologne on our "first" river cruise (back to back).  Our reasoning:  if we're going to fly all that way/time to take a river cruise, we're going to do the whole thing.

The "less industrial" part was the Bucharest/Budapest one.  We also did a pre-cruise 4 days in Transylvania on that one.  We didn't do the 3 day post cruise add-on in Amsterdam, as we reasoned chances were we would be in Amsterdam some other time (and we were for our recent Amsterdam/Basel cruise).  But we probably wouldn't be making another trip to Romania soon.

We prefer the cruise to Budapest and recommend a pre or post cruise stay. Budapest is a fascinating city and there is much to see there (Budapest). The cruise from Nuremberg to Budapest visits some wonderful cities including the "heavy-hitter", Vienna - not sure if you consider this industrialized.

Edited by dogs4fun

Part of the Nuremberg to Budapest is on the Main River Canal, which is not very scenic.  Access to the roof top deck may be restricted because of the low clearance.  We did the Budapest-Bucharest cruise on Viking.  The river has become much larger, and you enjoy the top deck.  I would spend extra days in Budapest.  Also, on the trip to Budapest you may have a chance to see Croatia, Serbia and Bulgaria in addition to Romania.  Having traveled in Germany in the past, I liked seeing Eastern Europe.  

Hi - We have done both... the Danube twice, and going back to Eastern Europe for a 2nd time next year.  Both "return trips" are with a different company for a different experience.  It really depends on what you are looking for. 

The Nuremberg to Budapest will most likely be busier - as that is a favourite itinerary.  It is good if you have an interest in WWII history, as there is lots to discover - especially in Nuremberg.  If you choose that one, I would look for an itinerary that stops in Bratislava - a wonderful town, walkable from the boat.  I would spend extra time in Budapest - but do it on your own.  Prague is a good extension - but a little more difficult to get to by yourself.  So, I would suggest starting in Budapest - spend a day or two ahead of the cruise - and visit Prague after.  If you don't book something with a Prague extension (but it is an option) ask about tagging along on the transfer --> there will be a charge, but it would be easier to get there with a group.

But - Bucharest to Budapest is also a great itinerary.  If you choose that, I would suggest starting in Bucharest - and take a trip to Transylvania before boarding the boat.  We did not do that last time - so booked an itinerary this time that includes it.  Bucharest is still recovering from the oppressive rule - and so starting there, you cruise from the "have not" area towards areas that have pulled themselves up a bit further financially.  And - I would suggest extra days in Budapest at the end.  

Budapest is one of our favourite cities in Europe...  We have been there 3 times - with another visit next October.  Lots to see & do there - friendly people, not as expensive as many other cities in Europe.

What ever you decide - have fun planning!!  If you have further questions... ask away!!

Fran

1 hour ago, itsawonderfullife said:

Fran,

Good advice above.  Wondering which cruise line you went with.  We're looking at a Danube next fall and are not sure who to go with?

Thanks,

Debbie 

Debbie -

We did Budapest to Nuremberg with AMA Waterways the first time - and that itinerary included a day in Budapest to start, and a few days in Prague at the end.  The 2nd time, we did it with Scenic.  Did a few days in Budapest on our own - and stayed in Nuremberg at the end for a couple of days - also on our own.

For the other end of the Danube (Passage to Eastern Europe) we did it with Viking.  We stayed an extra 2 days in Budapest on our own at the end.  We are going back with Avalon next October. This itinerary includes one night in Bucharest, 2 nights in Brasov (Transylvania) - and then 9 nights on the Danube...  We actually get to Km 0 on the Danube - so a part of the river we have not seen before.  At the end, we are going by train to Poland (Krakow) for 3 nights.

We are not loyal to any one company.  We look for itinerary, then dates - then prices. We have discovered that the package Avalon offers suits us well - less formal than some of the other companies, although some may prefer to have some of the perks offered by other companies (all inclusive, butler service etc...).  We have also found that there are often options for the excursions with Avalon - so we can cruise the same river, and have a different experience.  

Fran

Hi-

We cruised from Nuremberg to Budapest with pre-cruise extension in Prague and post-cruise extension in Budapest. Our ship's captain told us that it is preferable to sail in this direction as the ship sails downstream on the Danube. Faster speeds allow for slightly longer times in ports. Our extra time in Prague and Budapest were very worthwhile. Enjoyed the restaurants, concerts, food tours, and sightseeing tours by locals.

We absolutely loved AMAWaterways when we went on the Danube from Budapest to Prague last year (really to Vilshofen Germany but I hired a driver to take us to Prague, with a fabulous stop in Cesky Krumlov where we wished we had stayed for a night!).  We liked AMA so much that we are going to Africa with them in September, and I just booked a 2021 cruise on the Danube from Budapest to Bucharest with them on the fantastic new AMA Magna, which is twice the size of the other ships.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. Its a toss up but I have decided to do the less traveled Bucharest to Budapest (not the other way around it would appear). The chance to see some of Transylvania as a warm up to Bucharest is exciting and I still will stay a few days in Budapest.

Something else I thought of .......  If you have done this part of the river can you get off the boat and do some cycling as I believe you can on other parts of the river(s) on the way to Amsterdam.

21 hours ago, Igogo said:

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. Its a toss up but I have decided to do the less traveled Bucharest to Budapest (not the other way around it would appear). The chance to see some of Transylvania as a warm up to Bucharest is exciting and I still will stay a few days in Budapest.

Something else I thought of .......  If you have done this part of the river can you get off the boat and do some cycling as I believe you can on other parts of the river(s) on the way to Amsterdam.

Do you mean cycling while in port?  In most cases, yes.  Many river cruise ships have bicycles available for use. 

If you mean cycling between ports (while the ship moves), that I don't know.