sneak wine on board....

:o I'm traveling with my two teenage girls, 15 and 18, on the Vision of the Sea. I've read about 50 pages of tips for cruisers since it's our first time. Quite a few said that they've brought wine in their suitcases and haven't had a problem. Can anyone give me feedback on this? I don't mind buying wine but I usually only drink a glass or two a day on trips. I'd love to be able to sit on our balcony and have a glass!

Are there little fridges in all room on the Vision?

Thanks!

Are you sure about if they don't have that wine, it's ok? I was going to bring two that weren't really expensive in case they take them. I saw to pack it in the wine tubes that you can get at Michael's. I'd LOVE to bring a bottle of Rombauer but would hate for a $30 bottle to be taken!:(

I have always been told it is ok to bring 2 bottles per adult, as long as they don't have it. Then you just pay a 12 dollar corkage fee if you want to consume it in the dining room. Call rccl and check but make sure you ask several people, cause answers tend to be different. Also, talk to a supervisor.

I have carried liquor on board without having it confiscated. If they would take your wine, I am positive it would be brought to your cabin on the last night of the cruise.

If you enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, they will retrieve the unused portion of your bottle of wine each night in the dining room. I am not positive about this but I believe you can also order wine by the glass.

Everyone also says they want to sit on their balcony and drink their wine. If the cruise line knows your luggage is going to a room without a balcony will they take the wine out...:rolleyes: What if someone just wants to sit on the head and slam down a bottle to get their buzz started before dinner....

What if someone just wants to sit on the head and slam down a bottle to get their buzz started before dinner....

Wine doesnt' lend itself too well to being "slammed down" although in your suggestion the toilet is handy for those ill effects ;)

I'm sure some tequila shots or similar liquor would do the trick - of course for those that are that desperate they could always pack some cough syrup!:p

I brought a gift-boxed bottle of Dom Perignon onboard in my carry-on last month on the Radiance, Port of Miami. No issues whatsoever. I preferred carry-on rather than checked luggage because then I was fully in control of how it was handled. I plan to bring another fine gift bottle of champagne on board next week, also in my carry-on, for the Enchantment at Fort Lauderdale.

I think their policy is what it is, and much like Cuban cigars being illegal, the "guards" are looking for the big time violators, not the guy w/ three coronas from habana in the zip pocker of his shaving kit. Like folks carrying on a case of wine or lots of alcohol in other forms. I don't think they really want to antagonize guests over one bottle--much like they post other policies to "Reserve the right" but not to uniformly enforce.

I plan on ordering a bottle of champagne from room service the first night, and maybe also the wine package (or make the champagne part of the package) and hopefully some terrific frozen drinks as well--I don't foresee being hassled about one special bottle I received as a gift and decided to save for a special occasion, which is my RCI cruise.;)

Just to be clear, as I've read many posts about this topic and don't think its really been spelled out.....and I need to know also. ;o)

If you want to bring 2 bottles of wine, which the cruise line DOES carry, will they still charge a corkage fee if you leave it in your room to drink on the balcony? I always assumed you only get charged if you bring it to do dinner, but this thread started with a question about "in the room", yet received replies about corkage fee.

Please clear this up on two fronts...1) corkage fee and 2)even if wine is on ship

Thanks!

I was on Explorer for the 1/15/06 Western Carib. cruise. From the daily planner, "Corkage Fee - an amount of $12 per bottle opened is charged to guests bringing their own wine and champagne into any of our dining areas to be consumed at meal times. Please note: no open liquor bottles will be permitted to be brought into the dining areas or any public spaces."

This language appeared in each day's Daily Planner. On port days, the "no liquor on board" language that has been the subject of much debate also appeared.

I was traveling with a group of family and friends. I personally brought on 12 bottles of expensive ($75 - $125) red wines in my traveling wine carrier (purchased through IWA). The wine was not "hidden." There was no attempt by security or cruiseline personnel to question or confiscate it.

We purchased white wine from the line's list for those who preferred it and enjoyed my collection of reds each night at dinner. Since we purchased an equal number of whites for the reds I brought on board, the maitre'd graciously waived charging the corkage fee. I would have been more than willing to pay the fee, but the maitre'd does have the authority to waive it.

The maitre'd explained that RC's "no liquor on board policy" is interpreted by him and other ship personnel to apply only to liquor purchased at ports during the cruise and not to wine and champagne brought on board at the originating port of departure. That's why the corkage fee language appears in the daily planner throughout the cruise.

He genuinely appeared puzzled by my remarks about the confusion RC's "no liquor on board" policy (as stated on their website and in cruise documents) has created among the cruising public. He also was not aware of any type of limit such as the "2 bottles per person" discussed in previous posts.

I would suggest taking your favorite bottles of wine on your upcoming cruise and enjoy.

Bon Voyage!

We put a bottle of wine in our carry-on and it went right through the X-ray machine. No one said a word to us. They are more concerned with guns, knives, and bombs and don't really care about wine. If you bring it to dinner, there is a $12 corkage fee which they add to your Sea-Pass card. They will even hold the bottle for you if you don't drink it all in one night. Most of the wines on the ship are $30-$60 so it was less money to pick up a bottle at Publix in Florida and pay the corkage fee. There is a wine list on RCCL website if you search for "Wine List"

While planning for our cruise, I called RCI and asked what their policy was on wine, especially since we were planning to do a wine tour in Ensenada. The rep told me that we were allowed wine onboard as long as we pay a corkage fee.

I'm planning to take 2 bottles in carry-on and 2 in checked luggage. That way I can have some for in the room and at dinner.

Also, if you go to the gifts and gear section on RCI's site, you'll be able to get to their wine list.

Please do not put any wine or liquor in your checked luggage. Many times I have seen a bottle break and then leaking through suitcases to other suitcases.. I came home with a duffle bag coated with whiskey!!! I wasn't happy!! Just carry it on!

I never used the fridge on our last cruise, but i'm thinking it was one of those little "cube" type boxes--I may be wrong, tho. If your wine won't fit, and it's not confiscated on arrival (and I don't think it will be), your room stewart can get you ice to keep it cool. Have a great trip!

Just to be clear, as I've read many posts about this topic and don't think its really been spelled out.....and I need to know also. ;o)

If you want to bring 2 bottles of wine, which the cruise line DOES carry, will they still charge a corkage fee if you leave it in your room to drink on the balcony? I always assumed you only get charged if you bring it to do dinner, but this thread started with a question about "in the room", yet received replies about corkage fee.

Please clear this up on two fronts...1) corkage fee and 2)even if wine is on ship

Thanks!

Funny story, that. I REALLY tried to pick wines that I thought RC didn't have. Missed on one. Took it into the dining room. Handed it to the waiter. He said, Oh, yours isn't cold. He whisked it away, and brought back a nice cold bottle from the back! No corkage fee. :D :D :D

Many times I have seen a bottle break and then leaking through suitcases to other suitcases..

Bravo! I am a drinker when on vacation. I could save a pretty penny if I brought liquor or wine with me on board. The thought of it breaking in my luggage, though, just makes it sooooo not worth it for me.

I just don't like to worry... worry about my clothes, worry about getting it confiscated, etc... In the end, it's just not at all worth it for me, so I buy whatever they will serve me. You CAN have wine, champagne, etc...delivered to your room, if you like to relax with a drink in your cabin.

Tracy

Archived