Star Drydock

blueslily

13 hours ago, cdnsteelman said:

It's hard to say if the current issues are the same or different but the Star had major and extended azipod issues in 2017. Only properly-trained engineers with access to all the data could say if this is an ongoing issue or unrelated events. I will say, and it's cold comfort to those affected, NCL is certainly not planning these problems nor is fixing complex engineering issues simple or quick, especially if new parts need to be manufactured, delivered and installed all while trying to maintain some sort of schedule.

The March 14 2020  trip from Chile to Florida has had two or three port cancellations announced this last weekend, speculation is that it's due to the Star having trouble maintaining speed.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2019/11/articles/power-loss/norwegian-star-suffers-propulsion-problems/

Much as I don't like that site he does have some news. That article also links to the 2017 azipod troubles.

Roll Call for March 2020:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2633338-norwegian-star-roll-call-march-14-2020/page/8/#comments

Edited by pspercy

The only reason to book the Star is for the very cheap prices and perhaps double Lattitudes points.  The itineraries will continue to change, allowing no room at all for weather or additional ship problems or medical emergencies.  Enjoy your cheap cruises.

6 hours ago, mugtech said:

The only reason to book the Star is for the very cheap prices and perhaps double Lattitudes points.  The itineraries will continue to change, allowing no room at all for weather or additional ship problems or medical emergencies.  Enjoy your cheap cruises.

Seriously!!!   Do your research!!  

On 11/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, Mom2kmo said:

Looks like it arrives in port April 7th & the next cruise doesn’t leave until April 9th.  So maybe they plan on doing two full days of maintenance.  Not sure how much of a refurb they can do in two days.  But what do I know about refurbs!   

Seriously, do your research

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, mugtech said:

Seriously, do your research

You obviously haven’t checked out the prices for the British Isle cruise, 28 June.  Too say we have gotten the cruise for cheap is totally incorrect!   6 cabins for a total of $41k is cheap?   Your general statement is incorrect about whoever books on the Star is looking for a cheap cruise!   

1 minute ago, Mom2kmo said:

You obviously haven’t checked out the prices for the British Isle cruise, 28 June.  Too say we have gotten the cruise for cheap is totally incorrect!   6 cabins for a total of $41k is cheap?   Your general statement is incorrect about whoever books on the Star is looking for a cheap cruise!   

Based on past and present performance I was thinking people would be booking all those cheap Western Hemisphere cruises.  I am surprised anyone would brag about how much they spent for a Star cruise in Europe, no 41k for 6 cabins is not cheap, congrats.  Hope you enjoy your cruise.  Be sure to tell us all about it.

5 hours ago, mugtech said:

Based on past and present performance I was thinking people would be booking all those cheap Western Hemisphere cruises.  I am surprised anyone would brag about how much they spent for a Star cruise in Europe, no 41k for 6 cabins is not cheap, congrats.  Hope you enjoy your cruise.  Be sure to tell us all about it.

It’s not bragging..  you stated that everyone who wants a cheap cruise to book on the Star.  I was simply letting you know that you need to do your research because not every cruise is cheap o. The Dtar.  

On 11/25/2019 at 5:12 AM, pspercy said:

The March 14 2020  trip from Chile to Florida has had two or three port cancellations announced this last weekend, speculation is that it's due to the Star having trouble maintaining speed.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2019/11/articles/power-loss/norwegian-star-suffers-propulsion-problems/

Much as I don't like that site he does have some news. That article also links to the 2017 azipod troubles.

While Mr. Walker may have some "news", he also has an uncomfortable habit of using imprecise terminology (a lawyer's life, after all, is precision in language) and combining hearsay with unrelated facts.  He states as fact that the ship had an azipod problem, while those on the ship have reported otherwise, and ship performance after the incident lessens his "guess" as to the problem.  Mr. Walker takes the conspiracy theory route with his statement that "There is also no information regarding who, if anyone, inspected the ship following the alleged fire."  There is no requirement, ever, for a shipping company to make public a report of an inspection following a marine casualty, it is up to the inspecting authority as to whether or not it is made public.  I can guarantee that the maritime authority at the next port of call made a "port state inspection" to determine the seaworthiness of the ship, and that the class surveyor was in attendance at that next port.  Mr. Walker knows these are the agencies who will inspect the vessel, but he goes for the "dark secret" route.  His imprecise terminology is in claiming that the Star had a "complete power failure" when in fact he references his own article that describes the propulsion loss of the Star, not a power loss.  As I've stated, I believe, based on my experience, that the Star had a problem with power generation this time (a failed diesel engine) and not a propulsion problem, so these two interrelated, but separate, systems do not constitute a "continuing problem".

• Like 2

Blueslily, just want to say that we've been on the Star four times and the Jade and sister ships Pearl and Jewel several times and unless we're staying in one of the deck 12 suites on the Star we prefer the Jewel class ships.   They still have a forward facing observation lounge (area changed to suites on the Star and Dawn) as well as the Great Outdoors on the stern.  The Jade had a major makeover in March of 2017 and when we sailed on her in 2018 she was beautiful.  Booked her yesterday for 13 day Caribbean cruise February 2021 and really looking forward to it.  There are several YouTube videos of the Jade so you can check her out.

Edited by kjquilts
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kjquilts said:

Blueslily, just want to say that we've been on the Star four times and the Jade and sister ships Pearl and Jewel several times and unless we're staying in one of the deck 12 suites on the Star we prefer the Jewel class ships.   They still have a forward facing observation lounge (area changed to suites on the Star and Dawn) as well as the Great Outdoors on the stern.  The Jade had a major makeover in March of 2017 and when we sailed on her in 2018 she was beautiful.  Booked her yesterday for 13 day Caribbean cruise February 2021 and really looking forward to it.  There are several YouTube videos of the Jade so you can check her out.

Your post is very helpful. Thank you! ☺

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While Mr. Walker 

I don't understand why Mr Walker isn't dragged into court already for making false allegations. For instance, he's saying over and over again that ships need a MOB detection system without a shred of evidence that it would save lives. Nobody falls of a cruise ship by accident.