Upgrade question

GettotheSun

I clicked the link today that NCL had sent me for an optional upgrade (sent about 3 weeks ago).  The cost of the upgrades has gone down quite a bit (in terms of "minimum bid"), but I noticed they were offering an option to bid on an upgrade to the DOS and the Owner's Suite...but checking the NCL website these are both sold out for our cruise.  Seems odd they still solicit bids, or are these just in case someone cancels last minute they can then at least recover some cost - and then if someone bid on the 'winners' room, they get that one, and so on?

Interestingly, there are several (about 8 or more) two bedroom villas in the Haven still available on the website, and the website advertises a red 'strike through' price reduction for this room.  And the min bid for this room seems to have gone down alot.  I'm not really interested in the 2 bedroom, so doubt I will bid.  I'm sure it would be nice to be in Haven proper, but I think I have (virtually) fallen in love with the Haven aft balcony.

Anyway, just curious why they still offer bids on rooms that are sold out - is it just in the unlikely event of a cancellation?

2 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Because those sold out cabin categories will be bidding up to other higher categories leaving vacancies.

Sorry, maybe I'm being thick but I don't understand.  Aren't the DOS and Owners Suites the highest category of suite?  So what are they bidding on above that?

You got an important reason in your original post: somebody might cancel.  If they do, the bids would already be in place.  So, if you want to be considered if somebody does cancel, submit a bid. 

Another reason, NCL gathers pricing data from the bidding.

Edited by Starry Eyes

6 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

You got an important reason in your original post: somebody might cancel.  If they do, the bids would already be in place.  So, if you want to be considered if somebody does cancel, submit a bid. 

Another reason, NCL gathers pricing data from the bidding.

Yes that makes sense.  I may submit a bid for the Owners Suite, but frankly my bid would be in the 'poor' category of success, lol, but hey...you never know!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Which ship?  If BA or GA and you have aft H6 I'd stay put.

It's the Getaway H6 - 14th deck.  So you would recommend the H6 vs. H3?  What would lead you to pick H6?

To be honest, I'm not sure I like the layout of H3 as much, and the balcony is smaller.  I like that the H6 balcony is huge and even has a "full sized" table that we could eat meals out there (plus loungers).   I also wondered even with the glass windbreak, if sitting on the balcony in H3 might be very windy and cold vs. being in the aft and shielded completely.

Any pointers welcome!  

22 hours ago, GettotheSun said:

It's the Getaway H6 - 14th deck.  So you would recommend the H6 vs. H3?  What would lead you to pick H6?

To be honest, I'm not sure I like the layout of H3 as much, and the balcony is smaller.  I like that the H6 balcony is huge and even has a "full sized" table that we could eat meals out there (plus loungers).   I also wondered even with the glass windbreak, if sitting on the balcony in H3 might be very windy and cold vs. being in the aft and shielded completely.

Any pointers welcome!  

We had H2 on BA.  It has a movable wall between the two rooms that leaks noise quite badly.  H6 deck much better than H3.  Sitting on deck not too bad with wind. 

Only real benefit in Haven proper and unlimited in room water and sodas plus three bottles of booze.  Oh, and champagne VS sparkling wine although they'll try to cheap out on that.

Escape H2 WAAY better.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:51 PM, dexddd said:

We had H2 on BA.  It has a movable wall between the two rooms that leaks noise quite badly.  H6 deck much better than H3.  Sitting on deck not too bad with wind. 

Only real benefit in Haven proper and unlimited in room water and sodas plus three bottles of booze.  Oh, and champagne VS sparkling wine although they'll try to cheap out on that.

Escape H2 WAAY better.

I wondered about noise from the movable walls.  Ya, I think I'll stick with H6, thanks again.