How difficult to get a taxi during San Sebastian Street Festival?

g8way2go

Cruise boards from Pan American Pier on Thursday January 16th.  The San Sebastian Street Festival starts the day before.  Will I have difficulty getting a taxi that morning?  Would it help to call the day before?

I would like to go to Old San Juan during the day the festival opens (Jan 15) and be back before 5 pm ...again, will it be difficult to get a taxi?  I am staying near the convention center.   TIA

We were there last year during the festival. The first day wasn't busy at all. Weekend was a zoo and we couldn't get a taxi in because traffic was so bad. We were staying in Isla Verde and taxis and uber were very scarce on the weekend.

We highly recommend using Uber. 

We recently used Uber from the airport...yes, from the airport, to our hotel.

Uber from our hotel to the Pan American Pier.

Uber from the Pan American Pier to Casa Bacardi and back.

Uber from Pan American Pier to Old San Juan and back.

And from the Pan American Pier back to the airport, Luis Munoz International.

Drivers were all nice and showed up in minutes.  Drivers and vehicles were easy to identify...and all the cars used were clean and new.  And what we liked the best...no handling of money...it's all done using the Uber app.  Note: We are in our 60's and are new Uber users...as you can see...we are sold.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been to OSJ twice on San Sebastian weekends, but never the first day.  Yes, taxis were harder to find, but definitely not impossible.  However, I completely agree with bonsai3s: go for uber.  We've done both multiple times.  I feel like uber is more likely to come to you, probably quicker, and it's slightly cheaper usually.  Plus, as mentioned, no cash in hand, which is really nice.  

Due to the earthquakes that have struck, mainly the southwest part of the island, it was just announced that the festival will indeed start on Thursday, Jan. 16. There will be much heavier than usual traffic during they day and it will be nearly impossible to reach SJ in a private car after 5pm. Uber, Taxis and public buses will have a dedicated lane access and out of Old SJ so those would be THE best ways to reach the festivities. Public buses aside (simply don't count on them!), Uber and Taxis should be readily available, although you might have to wait a few more minutes than usual.

2 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

Due to the earthquakes that have struck, mainly the southwest part of the island, it was just announced that the festival will indeed start on Thursday, Jan. 16. There will be much heavier than usual traffic during they day and it will be nearly impossible to reach SJ in a private car after 5pm. Uber, Taxis and public buses will have a dedicated lane access and out of Old SJ so those would be THE best ways to reach the festivities. Public buses aside (simply don't count on them!), Uber and Taxis should be readily available, although you might have to wait a few more minutes than usual.

Thanks for this. I was told a 15 min wait is normal for daytime little  longer for evening  pick up.

Edited by g8way2go
Auto correct changed the text

8 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

Is the festival mostly on the streets up near the forts or will there be crafts or music on the streets right near the pier in Old San Juan? And will it be super crowded there as well? Due to bad knees I seldom make it all the way up to the Fort area. Thanks

10 hours ago, allentownahoy said:

Is the festival mostly on the streets up near the forts or will there be crafts or music on the streets right near the pier in Old San Juan? And will it be super crowded there as well? Due to bad knees I seldom make it all the way up to the Fort area. Thanks

Following this question. We are scheduled to be in San Juan on Sunday the 19th, on the Anthem of the Seas...