Local currency’s

Wisewol

Evening to you all, first post for a long while here. We are joining the Dubai-Singapore section of the world cruise which has I believe 5 ports and 4 different currencies. Would you recommend getting currency in the UK before we leave? Any idea of how much might be needed? I know that’s a difficult one as it depends on what you like to buy. We have booked trips for each destination as it’s our first time on such a trip. Any help would be much appreciated.

I think you would get a better rate if you changed your currency before leaving.  As for how much you need, that is a bit like how long is a piece of string.  Maybe get some US$ as a back up, which might be accepted all be it at a poor exchange rate.

I usually get $100 of local currency more-or-less for one-time visit ports if we're going on our own for lunch or whatever. Obviously, if there's an arrangement for a tour or something else that must be paid in local currency, I'll take that into account. If I need more, I charge or go to an ATM. If we're just on an excursion, I'll deal with the lousy ship exchange rate for a $10-20 for tips, a drink, etc for the two of us. At the end, I'll usually exchange the stray amounts at home, but if we're traveling onward and don't want to deal with odds and ends of leftover currency, I'll use the ships exchange rate (or if it's just stray coins, I'll donate them near the Purser's)

Edited by MarkBearSF

10 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Remember, if you change your money on board, not only do you get a bad rate, but first they change your currency to USD, then change it from USD to the required local currency. It's a double whammy for them and a big loss for you.

If your home currency is USD, then its only one bad conversion rate, not two. (And I only do it in exceptional situations and with small amounts.)

On 1/1/2020 at 9:31 PM, Wisewol said:

Evening to you all, first post for a long while here. We are joining the Dubai-Singapore section of the world cruise which has I believe 5 ports and 4 different currencies. Would you recommend getting currency in the UK before we leave? Any idea of how much might be needed? I know that’s a difficult one as it depends on what you like to buy. We have booked trips for each destination as it’s our first time on such a trip. Any help would be much appreciated.

I use a Halifax credit card, Pay in the local currency with no exchange fees and the exchange rate of the day.

4 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

If your home currency is USD, then its only one bad conversion rate, not two. (And I only do it in exceptional situations and with small amounts.)

GBP is the local currency of Sussex.