Oosterdam 2 Questions: cabin 6104 & wine

JamminJan

First timer on HAL, sailing 3/7-14.  Anyone have comments (pro or con)and/or pictures of cabin 6104. I'm beginning to think I should have booked a larger cabin for my mother who uses a walker. Afraid the aisle may too small for her walker?   

ALSO, contract states we can only bring onboard 1 bottle of wine per passenger. On the board I have read we can take as many as we want, as long as we pay the corkage fee.  Has anyone had experience when embarking the Oosterdam out of San Diego regarding additional bottles? 

ONE LAST Question: Never boarded from SD, what pier do we go to?

Thank you in advance for your responses, hope I don't sound like an idiot.

Edited by JamminJan
added verbiege

Hi JamminJan, 

We've stayed in 6108 on the Oosterdam (just a couple of doors down from 6104) and the cabin was spacious with plenty of room. If you go to the site that is hal facts dot com and look I've posted pictures of 6108. The location is convenient with a short walk to the elevators that go down to the dining room or up to the Lido. 

You can take on as much wine as you like as long as you pay the corkage fee. 

I've not boarded in San Diego so can't help you there. 

Karen

First, 6104 is a Signature Suite and should be plenty big enough for two, or even three.  The bathrooms are about as large as the Neptunes as I recall.  I am pretty certain there is a separate walkin shower.

Second, you can bring onboard all the wine you can carry (the  first bottle (consumed in your cabin only) is free, while the rest are charged $18 per bottle and you can take these to the dining room or bars, as this is your corkage fee.  The wine must be in your carryons however.

Third, there are three cruise ship docks in San Diego now and all are very close together on Harbor Drive, between the Maritime Museum and the aircraft carrier.  Two of the docks are right across from the Wyndam hotel (formally HOLIDAY iNN).  Trust me, you will not have a hard time finding the ship.  The docks are about 2 miles from the airport and every taxi driver should know where they are.  Taxi fare around $15 plus tip.

Edited by DaveOKC

3 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Hi JamminJan, 

We've stayed in 6108 on the Oosterdam (just a couple of doors down from 6104) and the cabin was spacious with plenty of room. If you go to the site that is hal facts dot com and look I've posted pictures of 6108. The location is convenient with a short walk to the elevators that go down to the dining room or up to the Lido. 

You can take on as much wine as you like as long as you pay the corkage fee. 

I've not boarded in San Diego so can't help you there. 

Karen

Thanks for that quick response!  I'm glad we can take more wine on board, they don't have the Riesling that I like.

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

First, 6104 is a Signature Suite and should be plenty big enough for two, or even three.  The bathrooms are about as large as the Neptunes as I recall.

Second, you can bring onboard all the wine you can carry (the  first bottle (consumed in your cabin only) is free, while the rest are charged $18 per bottle and you can take these to the dining room or bars, as this is your corkage fee.  The wine must be in your carryons however.

Third, there are three cruise ship docks in San Diego now and all are very close together on Harbor Drive, between the Maritime Museum and the aircraft carrier.  Two of the docks are right across from the Wyndam hotel (formally HOLIDAY iNN).  Trust me, you will not have a hard time finding the ship.

AWW Thanks Dave!  We are staying at the Sheraton on Harbor Island, hopefully our Uber or Lyft driver will know where to go. The wine on land + corkage fee is still cheaper than what they charge onboard for the wine, so thanks for the tip

15 minutes ago, JamminJan said:

AWW Thanks Dave!  We are staying at the Sheraton on Harbor Island, hopefully our Uber or Lyft driver will know where to go. The wine on land + corkage fee is still cheaper than what they charge onboard for the wine, so thanks for the tip

Check with your hotel, they might have a shuttle to the pier (and another from the airport).  I know that the Hilton nearby has both,  Glad to help a fellow Okie!

Edited by DaveOKC

@JamminJan
A super place to buy your wine is Ralph’s Market. Great selection, and they often run specials. When I was there in October they had a buy 6 and the cheapest bottle was free!

The Sheraton is a bit out of the way. If the Wyndham or SpringHill Suites/Marriott have space available, consider changing your booking. 

If you do, you can take advantage of a free shuttle service “Circuit”, available in downtown San Diego. We used it to travel to & from Ralph’s and restaurant of choice. All for the price of a tip.  Download their free app to your smartphone and you can arrange all your trips that way. You even get an approximate wait time, so you can decide to use another option, if you do not want to wait.

Another benefit of changing your booking is that you will be directly across the street from a Ho-Ho trolley stop - a great way to get an overview of the city.

Most of all - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1