Alcatraz tours

DaveOKC

We are doing an overnight stop in San Francisco and have always wanted to tour Alcatraz.  Since our ship's tour is very limited we need to do our own thing here.  A couple of questions:

How from from the cruise pier area is the ferry to Alcatraz (I think Pier 33 but not certain).  I thought I saw it on our last stop in SF and it was very close???

Would you recommend a day tour, a night one, or another option (I think there is a behind the scenes one or others)?

Where do I book this tour at?  

THANKS

The cruise pier is very close to the Alcatraz ferry, absolutely within walking distance unless one has mobility problems.  We have never done Alcatraz, but we do know that the tours can sell out months ahead of time. I suggest booking as soon as possible.

https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

Unless you have severe mobility problems the Alcatraz ferry is within easy walking distance.  Definitely book on the official website as ferry spaces sell out.  When we visited Alcatraz we weren't on a formal "tour" as such.  Once in the main buildings you are provided with headsets for an excellent audio tour; the audio tour is available in multiple languages.  Some folks walk through very quickly, while other spend more time.  You set your own pace.  And be aware that you may have to wait for the ferry back to San Francisco.

9 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

We are doing an overnight stop in San Francisco

Just an fyi in case you are not aware and it might be of interest... "Hamilton" is in the midst of an open-ended run in SF (at the Orpheum Theatre).  We just saw it there a couple of weeks ago post-cruise.  It's an excellent production (we've seen this phenomenal show several times elsewhere) and the tickets in SF are relatively modest compared with "Hamilton" tickets elsewhere.   (E.g., we were in the 8th row of the Orchestra for under $200 per ticket.  You can't touch those prices for "Hamilton" anywhere else. And, of course, much cheaper in the balcony.)

Good luck with your Alcatraz tickets!