Recommend a tour for me in Roatan that DOESN'T involve holding sloths (because it's cruel)

JustinPlusLauren

I'm sailing with Royal Caribbean at the end of March and we're stopping in Roatan. I'm looking for a shore excursion (booked independently of the ship or through the ship, doesn't matter to me) that DOES NOT include a sloth sanctuary. I was shocked that these "sanctuaries" allow people to hold sloths, which is a form of animal cruelty. Human interactions in this way is extremely stressful to the animals and lowers their life spans. Even though they seem to be called "sanctuaries", if they allow people to hug or hold the animals, it couldn't be farther from being an actual sanctuary and not just a way to profit from animals.

Reference links here:

https://www.worldanimalprotection.org/blogs/sloth-selfies-how-we-discovered-true-impact

https://globalnews.ca/news/3896582/stop-slothselfie-instagram/ 

ANYWAY, now that I'm past the shock of how popular these kinds of tours are, I'm having a difficult time finding tours that don't have a visit to the sloth sanctuary incorporated into them in some way! Can anyone recommend a snorkeling tour or any kind of other tour that doesn't involve a visit to the sloths as part of the trip? If you have a company that you can personally recommend, that would be wonderful!

Thanks in advance!!!

I am not familiar with that one as this is my first time in Roatan, too---in 10 days.  But I was looking up something there (without sloths, too) and located some ideas on Viator and Trip Advisor.  Go to Trip Advisor and put in the Roatanecortour and see if any reviews come up.Good luck.

23 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

If you hire a private driver you can do or not do anything you like. 

In a side note ~ Roatan was put on the map by the amazing reef and sea life... if there was ever a place to snorkel it would be Roatan. :0) 

Thank you! I would love to snorkel there. I looked up the Roatan Eco Tour website and it looks like you go to two snorkel sites on the tour. Sounds perfect. I think I'm going to book that one 🙂

18 hours ago, JustinPlusLauren said:

Thank you! I would love to snorkel there. I looked up the Roatan Eco Tour website and it looks like you go to two snorkel sites on the tour. Sounds perfect. I think I'm going to book that one 🙂

Enjoy your visit!