Avis Car rental in Moorea

eng58

We are looking to rent a car from Avis when we arrive on our Oceania cruise in early March. I want to pre-book online and not sure where the best location to pick up the car. I am not even sure where we will tender? Any advice would be helpful,  I think the Intercontinental hotel would be the closet, but not sure.

54 minutes ago, eng58 said:

We are looking to rent a car from Avis when we arrive on our Oceania cruise in early March. I want to pre-book online and not sure where the best location to pick up the car. I am not even sure where we will tender? Any advice would be helpful,  I think the Intercontinental hotel would be the closet, but not sure.

The Regatta will likely anchor in Cook's Bay and tender to the little pier just north of Hotel Kaveka. Usually when you have a reservation with Avis/Pacificar they will be there waiting fro you so long as you give them a time. Sometimes they may have the car there, sometimes they may shuttle to over to their office.

On 2/11/2020 at 5:03 AM, eng58 said:

We did this on Serena a few years ago and the ship docked at Papetoai in Opunahu Bay, We didn't need to know this for Avis though- just told them the ship and approximate time for pickup- they know where the various ships will arrive. They brought us back to the agency and took us to the dock when we were finished with the car. It was a seamless process. Everyone is friendly and easygoing in Tahiti and the Avis folks were no different.

Usually the larger ship's like the Serena go to Opunahu Bay as the water is deeper through the reef. Smaller ships will go over to Cook's Bay especially if there is a large ship visiting Moorea on the same day. Regatta is considered 'small'.

As mentioned Avis will shuttle you to their office and if it's the main office it can take some time and of course it takes time to get back after dropping off the car. This is why I prefer Albert's when cruising as they have 2 offices, one close to the tender drop off in Opunahu Bay and one within walking distance if your ship is in Cook's Bay. Albert's is historically less expensive though Avis has slightly newer cars.

10 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Usually the larger ship's like the Serena go to Opunahu Bay as the water is deeper through the reef. Smaller ships will go over to Cook's Bay especially if there is a large ship visiting Moorea on the same day. Regatta is considered 'small'.

TBK, Serena and Regatta are essentially the same Oceania ships. Both ships are the "R" class ships from the old Renaissance Cruise Line. Both 684 passengers, exactly the same size, and both tender at Papetoai in Opunahu Bay. It's Wind Spirit that is the small ship tenders in Cook's Bay.

Regatta is as "small" as Serena 🙂

Edited by Petoonya

49 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

TBK, Serena and Regatta are essentially the same Oceania ships. Both ships are the "R" class ships from the old Renaissance Cruise Line. Both 684 passengers, exactly the same size, and both tender at Papetoai in Opunahu Bay. It's Wind Spirit that is the small ship tenders in Cook's Bay.

Regatta is as "small" as Serena 🙂

I think the problem is your misspelling of the name of the ship ...

Serena (as you spelled it) is a Costa Ship with up to 3700 passengers

The Sirena is one of the old R4 ships owned by Oceania 😉

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

10 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I think the problem is your misspelling of the name of the ship ...

Serena (as you spelled it) is a Costa Ship with up to 3700 passengers

The Sirena is one of the old R4 ships owned by Oceania 😉

You're right. I can''t spell. Thank goodness though Costa ships have never been to Tahiti 😉

I cruised Sirena but still spell it Serena. 😞

Edited by Petoonya

12 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

You're right. I can''t spell. Thank goodness though Costa ships have never been to Tahiti 😉

I cruised Sirena but still spell it Serena. 😞

Just noticed the ship spelling and took a quick peek, I didn't even notice the cruise line   ... glad Costa isn't in FP with their big ship's either. 

Will be interesting in 2022 when things change for the ship size  ...

Where does the Windstar Wind Spirit anchor? I will be cruising on her and visiting Moorea next Jan. 15, 2021 from 6:00am to 5:00pm. I will likely be looking to rent a car for the day.

Does anyone remember what year Renaissance was doing the cruises here? I visited on one of their ships but I cannot remember the year. Obviously prior to 2001, before they went bankrupt.

Petoonya: did you write a review of your Tahiti cruise? Can you post the link? Could you email me direct, I have some questions for you. I may do some of the excursions you did, use the same airbnb as you for the last day after leaving the ship. Our flight will be evening. it has been so long since I cruises in his area, maybe 25 years ago, that I cannot remember the details of what we did at each port. I do know that all excursions were arranged independently, none were from the Ren ship. 

susiesan8 at gmail.com

Thanks, Susie

Edited by susiesan

On 2/18/2020 at 10:41 AM, susiesan said:

Where does the Windstar Wind Spirit anchor? I will be cruising on her and visiting Moorea next Jan. 15, 2021 from 6:00am to 5:00pm. I will likely be looking to rent a car for the day.

Does anyone remember what year Renaissance was doing the cruises here? I visited on one of their ships but I cannot remember the year. Obviously prior to 2001, before they went bankrupt.

Susie,

The last I know of Renaissance doing Tahiti was 2000. Now I'm really aging myself, we first did Wind Star on Windsong in 1993!

Wind Spirit almost always anchors in Cooks Bay but there are exceptions. Avis will pick you up right at the dock as they know more about arriving ship's schedules than anyone else! We just told Avis what ship and approximate time of arrival and Avis took care of the rest.

Just emailed you....Nancy