Gluten free dining

phin

Hi I am leaving on The Bliss this Sunday can anyone tell me of their experience with eating gluten free on the ship?

I have Celiac disease so i need to know it's taken seriously by the servers and chefs. Thanks

My daughter in law has Celiac Disease as well and we took her on a cruise a few years ago.  To be honest, it was a bit frustrating.  Despite her calling ahead and notifying them of her dietary requirements, the first night in the main dining room the server was unaware and couldn't identify what dishes were gluten free.  That was frustrating for her.  The specialty restaurants were considerably better than the main dining rooms.  While the cruise was a wonderful one, that part of it was difficult and she did get sick from what she assumed was eating gluten in something she wasn't aware of.  

In my opinion, the menus in the main dining rooms are used over again from week to week.  It really should not be difficult to   put a symbol by items on the menu that are gluten free.

My advice is to be as vocal as you can throughout every dining experience about your need for gluten free options. 

• Like 1

Just got off the Bliss on Feb 2. Our friend is Celiac and they were wonderful. She reviewed the menus  at lunch for dinner and they took care of everything. Make sure your TA informs them but if not, inform them as soon as you board and you will be fine. They will every effort to make almost everything gluten free. They even made a gluten free pizza which was pretty good. Their gluten free bread was quite good The rest of us tried it. Enjoy. Beautiful ship

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, vacationerny said:

Just got off the Bliss on Feb 2. Our friend is Celiac and they were wonderful. She reviewed the menus  at lunch for dinner and they took care of everything. Make sure your TA informs them but if not, inform them as soon as you board and you will be fine. They will every effort to make almost everything gluten free. They even made a gluten free pizza which was pretty good. Their gluten free bread was quite good The rest of us tried it. Enjoy. Beautiful ship

That is wonderful to hear!  Our experience was a few years ago and it sounds like they have made some improvements.

10 hours ago, phin said:

Hi I am leaving on The Bliss this Sunday can anyone tell me of their experience with eating gluten free on the ship?

I have Celiac disease so i need to know it's taken seriously by the servers and chefs. Thanks

I’ve been on the Sun and the Breakaway since my daughter was diagnosed with Celiac. They treat it very seriously and understand the distinction between someone who eats gluten free vs. a Celiac’s requirements. My daughter would choose her meals in advance and we never had an issue.

Just getting off Bliss, wife is gluten-free. Absolutely no problem! We have done 3 cruises on NCL and she has never been sick. You are safer on board then anywhere except home. Also, don’t worry if you don’t tell them till you are on, they will take care of you. Get the flower-less chocolate cake , yummmm

Agree with all positive comments, off in Jan from the bliss with a finicky 13 yo Celiac son...  Main dining room was a breeze and clearly identified with ability to choose following days breakfast lunch and dinner... that being said, the boy wanted to not have to sit for proper meals so the buffet was used ALOT....  they were also great, during dinner they will make fresh tasty GF pizza, the chefs in the buffet walked him around and showed him what he could and couldn't eat, not once was he "glutened" on board (there was once in grand cayman where the nachos got him on shore...) 

Really could not have asked for a better experience, once a chef in the buffet even pulled out some small salmon filets for him and cooked them for hime as the GF options of which there were plenty did not pique his interest...